Author Topic: Back with a 500 ....  (Read 13027 times)

Offline SPR

• SOHC Pro
  • 1972 500/4 K1
    • View Profile
Back with a 500 ....
« on: July 30, 2022, 10:45:32 AM »
Back in the fold after the effects of the last couple of years left me without a bike .....

Just picked up this rather nice 500/4 .... always room for improvement and I probably paid a little too much but NOS Honda pipes and seat a few years back ... and well it looks nice :)

Cheers

Simon

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Back with a 500 ....
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2022, 11:15:06 AM »
That's a very nice looking bike you have there.
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline SPR

• SOHC Pro
  • 1972 500/4 K1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2022, 11:19:41 AM »
That's a very nice looking bike you have there.

Thanks - they have to change the gaitors so I'll not have it in my garage till next week .... can't wait

Simon

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2022, 12:02:40 PM »
Very nice. If you have as much fun on your K1 as I do on mine, you will see it's an excellent choice of model.
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline SPR

• SOHC Pro
  • 1972 500/4 K1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2022, 12:20:51 PM »
Very nice. If you have as much fun on your K1 as I do on mine, you will see it's an excellent choice of model.

I'm hoping the smiles will be there :) 

Online Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2022, 01:48:06 PM »
Very tidy that. I'm betting it wasn't cheap though, the seat doesn't quite look right though, not sure why but the chrome strips on the seat and tank should line up, is it not shut properly?
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Offline SPR

• SOHC Pro
  • 1972 500/4 K1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2022, 03:33:54 PM »
Very tidy that. I'm betting it wasn't cheap though, the seat doesn't quite look right though, not sure why but the chrome strips on the seat and tank should line up, is it not shut properly?

I'd had it open to check underneath etc ... not sure if I closed it

Now you have me worried - I'll double check it when it arrives and post some close up pictures to see if we can work out if there is an issue

It wasn't super cheap but I didn't feel as if I'd paid too much over the odds that it would cause me any sleepless nights ..

Simon

edit - this is the other side

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
« Last Edit: July 30, 2022, 03:35:28 PM by SPR »

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2022, 03:55:29 PM »
The seat does not look fully closed to me looking at the catch side. The front of the seat looks as if it's high on the tank. Mine looks like that when it's not closed down fully.

Online Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2022, 03:55:50 PM »
Looks ok from the left side, probably seat not latched.

Little tip, check the side stand, they can get a slight bend in them from setting off with the stand down, usually bends them backwards a little, this then causes the stand to hit No1 exhaust pipe and denting it. Yours look ok but try just flicking the stand up with your foot and see if it gets close or hits. Best to fix this now if it does before it dents a nice new exhaust.

I have some mods in the pipeline for the side stand on a 500, mainly engine cutoff if you set off with it down, buzzer to warn you it is down when ignition on and a way of altering the angle it sits at so it doesn't hit the exhaust.

Another tip, try and route the HT leads across the top of the engine, stops them arcing better, stops water being forced down the lead and into the cap as it faces forward your way, also if the engines running and you reach down to switch the key you stand a chance of a shock as your hand gets close to the lead, not pleasant getting a nice shock when it's raining. Best bet is to reverse the coils so the leads come out of the back instead of the front, can mean you need to swap the coils over so 1-4 is on the right instead of the left etc. Believe me it's a worthwhile mod and it tends to look tidier afterwards with no leads dangling across the exhausts.

You getting rid of the kidney splitter? looks nice with it on.

Whoever restored that did a decent job.

One last tip, try removing the engine bolts at the front, the ones that go through the engine casing. Do one at a time, grease them up and refit. I'm having to get some out of an old casing that have bonded themselves in, heat, hammer and impact gun having no effect, a little preventative work now can save a LOT of work years done the line. I'd do them all TBH but that's up to you. Those bolts are really exposed and get really battered by the weather etc.
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Offline Laverdaroo

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2022, 04:14:36 PM »
What a lolely bike, good man!!!! :o

I dont care what you paid for it, it was money well spent. Any smile inducing, two wheeled apliance is a good buy, especially one as fettled as that. Loving the kidney splitter on the front, looks ace ;) :)
Bet youre itching to go out, let us know if it rides as well as it looks. 8)
Mornings are the invention of the devil!

1977 CB550F (current money pit!!)
2002 VFR800 VTEC (The Beloved)
1977 CB400F (the last money pit!)
1998 Ducati 748\853 conversion(sold :()
1980 ish CB750KZ in a billion bits (need to get rid, anybody want one?))

Offline SPR

• SOHC Pro
  • 1972 500/4 K1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2022, 04:17:51 PM »
Looks ok from the left side, probably seat not latched.

Little tip, check the side stand, they can get a slight bend in them from setting off with the stand down, usually bends them backwards a little, this then causes the stand to hit No1 exhaust pipe and denting it. Yours look ok but try just flicking the stand up with your foot and see if it gets close or hits. Best to fix this now if it does before it dents a nice new exhaust.

I have some mods in the pipeline for the side stand on a 500, mainly engine cutoff if you set off with it down, buzzer to warn you it is down when ignition on and a way of altering the angle it sits at so it doesn't hit the exhaust.

Another tip, try and route the HT leads across the top of the engine, stops them arcing better, stops water being forced down the lead and into the cap as it faces forward your way, also if the engines running and you reach down to switch the key you stand a chance of a shock as your hand gets close to the lead, not pleasant getting a nice shock when it's raining. Best bet is to reverse the coils so the leads come out of the back instead of the front, can mean you need to swap the coils over so 1-4 is on the right instead of the left etc. Believe me it's a worthwhile mod and it tends to look tidier afterwards with no leads dangling across the exhausts.

You getting rid of the kidney splitter? looks nice with it on.

Whoever restored that did a decent job.

One last tip, try removing the engine bolts at the front, the ones that go through the engine casing. Do one at a time, grease them up and refit. I'm having to get some out of an old casing that have bonded themselves in, heat, hammer and impact gun having no effect, a little preventative work now can save a LOT of work years done the line. I'd do them all TBH but that's up to you. Those bolts are really exposed and get really battered by the weather etc.

Brilliant - the jobs are lining up already .... I'm sure I re routed the leads on the 550 I had but I'm old and can't quite remember :)

I'll work through your tips and especially the side stand !

TBH I love the kidney splitter plate ... odd I know but the rest of the bike could have ben a dog and I'd still have walked away owning it  :-[

Offline Charliecharlcomb

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2022, 04:19:39 PM »
Back in the fold after the effects of the last couple of years left me without a bike .....

Just picked up this rather nice 500/4 .... always room for improvement and I probably paid a little too much but NOS Honda pipes and seat a few years back ... and well it looks nice :)

Cheers

Simon

(Attachment Link)

It's a beauty, well done and enjoy it.

Offline SPR

• SOHC Pro
  • 1972 500/4 K1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2022, 04:21:00 PM »
What a lolely bike, good man!!!! :o

I dont care what you paid for it, it was money well spent. Any smile inducing, two wheeled apliance is a good buy, especially one as fettled as that. Loving the kidney splitter on the front, looks ace ;) :)
Bet youre itching to go out, let us know if it rides as well as it looks. 8)

Yep - will be next weekend ..... can't wait as I've missed having one TBH (I've a MG BGT as well, which is lovely, but it just isn't the same feeling )

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2022, 05:46:16 PM »
I love the front number plate mounting position.

.This was mine back in the 1960's.
Ted's Honda 250 circa 1967 by Macabe Thiele, on Flickr

Offline honda-san

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2022, 06:53:30 PM »
Saw that very bike at Scarcliffe bike night this last Tuesday. Ridden in by the owner of Bill Lomas Motorcycles at Clay Cross near Chesterfield. Sounded very sweet.
Very nice.

Chris R.
Chris R.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal