Author Topic: Back with a 500 ....  (Read 12808 times)

Offline SPR

• SOHC Pro
  • 1972 500/4 K1
    • View Profile
Re: Back with a 500 ....
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2022, 10:30:49 PM »
Bike looks very good.

Tyres, Continental k112 & RB2 if available in the right size for modern tyres with a classic and fairly original look.

Front brake if dragging, check free movement of caliper arm on pivot with caliper removed. Also dismantle and properly clean the piston seal groove then reassemble with silicone grease in seal and pad side of piston. Properly clean and set like this makes significant difference to operation, power and pad glazing. Many of these caliper are never cleaned in any serious way and the performance shows it.

Bet you're looking forward to getting out on it.

Cheers ... I forgot about the arm pivot !!

I'd spotted the Continentals ... just need to try and locate the sizes in stock

Proper run first thing tomorrow :)

Simon

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2022, 10:55:41 PM »
Looks good apart from the routing of the brake pipe from the M/C and the M/C cap . Why did they not re anodize the master cylinder. It looks like it is off a USA bike with that sun bleach look.
The front number plate is also incorrect for a UK bike but, near on impossible to find the correct one.

It maybe my old eyes but, is that engine number starting with a 21***** ?  A UK 500K1 from 1972 should be 20*****

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

« Last Edit: August 05, 2022, 11:14:08 PM by Trigger »

Online McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2022, 12:59:54 AM »
That bike looks brilliant I've sent a PM about a visit possibly next weekend.
I'm a little green with envy it looks great with black bodywork. Good weather ahead as well - enjoy.
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2022, 01:26:00 AM »
The alternator isn't that bad. However unlike the 550 you had before the inner part is separate from the cover itself. Most try and lever it off when repairing/restoring the cover but that tends to buckle them as they are quite thin. If you want to restore it you need to remove the cover itself, turn upside down and you'll see 3 small holes, these are where the pegs go that the outer cover uses to secure itself, use a small pin punch and tap them out a little at a time, don't do one entirely or you'll most likely bend the cover, a little bit on one, then the next etc. There are small metal clips inside the holes, these can rust and break up when you remove the cover. Be prepared to replace them if needed. You can restore the plate in situ but it's best done on a flat surface IMO.

I can't remember if the Made In Japan should be painted black as well, might be.

At least the cover doesn't show signs of being thrown down the road, most have.
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Offline SPR

• SOHC Pro
  • 1972 500/4 K1
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2022, 07:20:52 AM »
Looks good apart from the routing of the brake pipe from the M/C and the M/C cap . Why did they not re anodize the master cylinder. It looks like it is off a USA bike with that sun bleach look.
The front number plate is also incorrect for a UK bike but, near on impossible to find the correct one.

It maybe my old eyes but, is that engine number starting with a 21***** ?  A UK 500K1 from 1972 should be 20*****

Thanks ....

It matches the reg doc - but that could have been changed I suppose

I'll look in to the routing and the cap - and yes it is bleached

Thanks for having a look :)

Simon

Offline SPR

• SOHC Pro
  • 1972 500/4 K1
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2022, 07:22:21 AM »
The alternator isn't that bad. However unlike the 550 you had before the inner part is separate from the cover itself. Most try and lever it off when repairing/restoring the cover but that tends to buckle them as they are quite thin. If you want to restore it you need to remove the cover itself, turn upside down and you'll see 3 small holes, these are where the pegs go that the outer cover uses to secure itself, use a small pin punch and tap them out a little at a time, don't do one entirely or you'll most likely bend the cover, a little bit on one, then the next etc. There are small metal clips inside the holes, these can rust and break up when you remove the cover. Be prepared to replace them if needed. You can restore the plate in situ but it's best done on a flat surface IMO.

I can't remember if the Made In Japan should be painted black as well, might be.

At least the cover doesn't show signs of being thrown down the road, most have.

Excellent tips ... I was scratching my head as I thought the 550 was different .... I'll order clips just in case :)

Simon

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2022, 08:18:08 AM »

Thanks ....

It matches the reg doc - but that could have been changed I suppose

I'll look in to the routing and the cap - and yes it is bleached

Thanks for having a look :)

Simon

(Attachment Link)

If it starts with 21 then it is a CB500 K2 engine or a UK CB500 K1 1974 / 1975 unit.
On these early SOHC's the first two VIN numbers match the engine. CB500K0 is 10*****, a UK CB500K1 for 1972 and 1973 is 20***** and UK 1974 and 1975 is 21*****

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2022, 09:01:24 AM »
Out of interest, any thoughts why Honda would have chosen an Anodised finish for the handlebar ‘furniture’…. is it simply that cheap / efficient powder coats were not avail and their standard black was not DOT 3 resistant?

Then again, the instrument casings, bridge fork top and idiot lights binnacle were painted…

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2022, 09:30:39 AM »
Out of interest, any thoughts why Honda would have chosen an Anodised finish for the handlebar ‘furniture’…. is it simply that cheap / efficient powder coats were not avail and their standard black was not DOT 3 resistant?

Then again, the instrument casings, bridge fork top and idiot lights binnacle were painted…

The anodised finish was resistant to brake fluid and thin but, not resistant to the sun over a period of time. You can't powder coat as it is too thick  ;)
Can be just painted with a caliper paint but, use silicone brake fluid  ;)

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2022, 10:37:07 AM »

I'd guess at the hydraulic cylinder (being a first in general production bikes) could have come through engineering capability related to aircraft manufacturing as that would be typical in processes used in that field. Certainly it's one of the most durable in that use but as noted will eventually fade.

Some of the best now supplied into mtb brakes and components by Hope products is by routine all supplied with anodized finish

It easily outlasts other manufacturers components, especially the master cylinders that are highly resistant to the rough use they get.

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 06, 2022, 11:12:27 AM »
The Made in Japan isn't painted BTW, just checked. However you could paint it if you fancied it. Wouldn't look out of place IMO.

You can see the pins on this pic.

https://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk/graphics/parts/11632323003_1_large.jpg
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Offline SPR

• SOHC Pro
  • 1972 500/4 K1
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2022, 12:17:20 PM »

If it starts with 21 then it is a CB500 K2 engine or a UK CB500 K1 1974 / 1975 unit.
On these early SOHC's the first two VIN numbers match the engine. CB500K0 is 10*****, a UK CB500K1 for 1972 and 1973 is 20***** and UK 1974 and 1975 is 21*****

Bugger - oh well :)

Offline SPR

• SOHC Pro
  • 1972 500/4 K1
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 06, 2022, 02:12:08 PM »
The Made in Japan isn't painted BTW, just checked. However you could paint it if you fancied it. Wouldn't look out of place IMO.

You can see the pins on this pic.

https://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk/graphics/parts/11632323003_1_large.jpg

Cheers

Offline SPR

• SOHC Pro
  • 1972 500/4 K1
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 25, 2022, 06:58:05 PM »
Thought I'd keep updating this as I progress

Changed out the resevoir cap and added a new side cover

Then decided to remove the electronic ignition / install a honda ignition plate etc / then install the Hondaman system already on its way.

So hit a problem stright away

The center cam on the spark advancer is removed to install the Kokusan system

I've put a wanted ad up as I'm now snookered completely till I get one ... there are a couple on eBay

Moving on I thought I'd connect the wiring up .... oh no .... my wires from the contact plate are too short to meet the loom connectors ? Have I missed something obvious ?

*edit ........ after much messing moving the loom what seemed mm's both ends of the wires now join !!! small victories :)

More to follow no doubt :)

Simon
« Last Edit: August 25, 2022, 07:37:44 PM by SPR »

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 25, 2022, 09:55:10 PM »
4 into 1 in the US do a pettern auto advance

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal