Author Topic: Shift shaft tiny lateral movement?  (Read 1689 times)

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Shift shaft tiny lateral movement?
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2022, 04:52:42 PM »
I've got some bare cases around, I'll take a pic, seem to recall it's right at the back. I'll measure the depth of the hole and see if I can find a seal (just removed 2 from some old cases but threw them in the bin, maybe a little dig around in the bin will find one) if I can find it I'll measure the seal and we can see what sort of clearance we have before it's blocked.
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Offline alexdecker

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2022, 04:59:21 PM »
PS any idea how far back the oil hole is? then I can judge it as I can recall the thickness of the seal.

Here is an image from Matthews video, showing the seat for the seal and the oil passage behind that.

Offline alexdecker

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2022, 05:03:19 PM »
The O-Ring is a thicker chain than standard so check where the rivet pins go as it goes around the front sprocket, there are some reports of them gouging a track in the crankcase, hitting the chain guard that you're after and on the 500 breaking the clutch push rod. See if you can spot any shiny areas where it might be touching.

Holy s*** am I glad you caught that. Just went down to the bike and looked. The chain has eaten into the case, and already started eating into the new seal I put in during the rebuild. Don’t know how I could’ve missed this. It took a pretty big chunk of the piece of metal right below the seal (hard to see in the image though).

Two questions: What is the proper chain I need to put in? And also, the seal that has been eaten into is the transmission seal - I can’t replace that without taking cases apart, right?

Online Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2022, 05:11:29 PM »
That is a blanking plug and will be fine as is.
You need a 530 HD chain NON O RING OR X RING

Offline JezzaPeach

• SOHC Expert
  • CB500/4 K1 1972 gold
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2022, 05:30:32 PM »
Alex, that is a very clear and helpful picture thank you.
My problem with the o-ring chain exactly the same. New push rod from Trigger, seals from Julie, and chain from DSS, although they need to know the number of links as they initially sent one too long thinking I was going to remove the extra links.

Attached is my 500 showing the ‘old’ push rod and seal using the 550 blanking plug position.
If Oddjob or anyone has a pic similar to your case but of a 500 showing if the oil feed hole is there or not that would be verrrrry useful.
One thing I have spotted is a pic on eBay of a case with the seal flush with the case……. :o
« Last Edit: August 02, 2022, 05:45:04 PM by JezzaPeach »
1972 CB500/4 K1 Gold
Wanted: my 500/4 UGP96M
from 1975-78. Garnet Brown.

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2022, 06:03:19 PM »
Not sure what that white stuff is on the push rod Jezza? PTFE?

Whatever it needs to come off, where it is means it will get pulled into the push rod seal and it will destroy the lip edges or at the very least force them apart so oil leaks through.

Alex, so long as that seal isn't penetrated it will be fine, it doesn't look bad TBH, good job you found it early though.

There are O-Ring chains that fit, I've run one for ages and had no problems, although the standard size is normally a 50 chain there are chains stamped as 50 but they are thinner. DID seemed to have a habit of supplying Honda with chains that aren't the same size as what they sell to the public, my DID OE 1300 chain for instance isn't the same as a normal DID chain for the 1300. You need different rivet links as the OE uses thinner pins which aren't as long.

Just fit a standard non o-ring chain with a split link and you'll be fine. If I can find the size of the O-Ring chain that does work I'll post it so you can investigate next time you need a chain. I took mine off a CBX550 I was breaking out of a crate, it worked fine and it's still lying on the garage floor so next time I go round to the garage I'll measure the links/pins etc and do a comparison.

I'll take a pic of my spare 500 cases but I'm fairly sure that seal opening is the same on the 550 cases. 

Fair amount of casing damage on Matthews pic Alex, clearly had a drive chain breakage at some point.

Offline JezzaPeach

• SOHC Expert
  • CB500/4 K1 1972 gold
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2022, 06:11:32 PM »
Thanks Oddjob it’s Lithium grease. Not been on long, I’ll remove it when/if I need to do the seal, or just remove it shortly.
1972 CB500/4 K1 Gold

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2022, 06:18:26 PM »
Grease is ok, looks like plastic to me.

Just checked the 500 cases, it has the same oil hole, same diameter. However after refitting an old seal it appears it's not possible to drive the seal in enough to block the hole, the hole is lipped as you can see and the lip stops the seal before it goes to far in. It's possible to sink the seal a little if you drive it right down to the lip, so that would explain yours Jezza, however it won't block the hole.

Offline JezzaPeach

• SOHC Expert
  • CB500/4 K1 1972 gold
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2022, 06:44:42 PM »
Many thanks Oddjob. I notice the castings vary quite a bit between models too so comparison not easy, like the thickness of the surround which varies as it goes round in Alex’s pic, also the shape of the ‘bracing piece’ going off it etc.
I recall the seal went in pretty easily, so minimal force used, not enough to go over the lip, and happy it’s in a bit given it wasn’t overly tight. It’s stayed put as I’ve had the cover off a couple of times, including the pic doing the pump seals. 
« Last Edit: August 02, 2022, 06:52:34 PM by JezzaPeach »
1972 CB500/4 K1 Gold

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2022, 06:53:04 PM »
Grease is ok, looks like plastic to me.

Just checked the 500 cases, it has the same oil hole, same diameter. However after refitting an old seal it appears it's not possible to drive the seal in enough to block the hole, the hole is lipped as you can see and the lip stops the seal before it goes to far in. It's possible to sink the seal a little if you drive it right down to the lip, so that would explain yours Jezza, however it won't block the hole.

It is possible to block the hole Ken, i have had engines here were the owner has put a socket on the seal and wacked in with a hammer. As suggested on a You tube vid on how to drive a seal in  ;)

Offline JezzaPeach

• SOHC Expert
  • CB500/4 K1 1972 gold
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2022, 09:46:50 PM »
All good advice thanks gents.
1972 CB500/4 K1 Gold

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2022, 10:37:06 PM »
I tried Graham, hit it with a hammer and I couldn't get it past the lip. If you just tap it flush then you'll be fine.

They must have used a lump hammer to get it in that far  ;D ;D

Offline alexdecker

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2022, 10:12:56 AM »
Just a quick update that Julie’s oil pump rebuild kit solved all my leak problems. Buy with confidence 😊

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2022, 11:07:44 AM »
Just a quick update that Julie’s oil pump rebuild kit solved all my leak problems. Buy with confidence 😊
☺️☺️☺️☺️☺️☺️
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline JezzaPeach

• SOHC Expert
  • CB500/4 K1 1972 gold
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2022, 03:10:50 PM »
I’ll second that! 👍
1972 CB500/4 K1 Gold