Author Topic: Spark Plug  (Read 1898 times)

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Spark Plug
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2023, 09:19:17 AM »
The key point here is that higher performance engines require a ‘colder’ plug to help disperse the resultant heat from combustion faster. The ceramic insulators on ‘colder’ plugs are generally smaller, allowing faster heat dispersion.

In the Denso terminology, the bigger the number the colder the plug. So an X-22 is a ‘hotter’ plug compared with the X-24 which is ‘colder’ in Denso terminology.
I agree James but with the nature of interpretation I describe the colder plug as having larger insulation for more dispersion in surface area from plug tip to plug wall and then onward to the cylinder head casting.

(Attachment Link)

It is a bit semantics though as so many describe in opposite direction as I've found over the years, champions I always have to reference the numbers as it just doesn't stick in my mind like NGK  :)
Fair point (late night post). What I probably should have referenced was the ‘gas pocket’ clearly shown in your pics above. In Denso speak ‘colder’ plugs generally have a larger gas pocket, and larger ceramic insulator / surface area, hence slower heat dispersion away from the plug (and vice versa).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline Johnwebley

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2023, 11:07:26 AM »
I was under the impression that colder plugs had higher number than hotter plugs. So an X24ES plug would be colder not hotter. As it happens it's recommended by NGK to go a step colder when using Ethanol so the X24ES would be better if that's the case.

I have been using  D8 in my  500,and  200,

the 500 runs well,

ordered  6 X24  to try,
lifelong motorcycle rider,and fan

Offline Johnwebley

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2023, 02:29:35 PM »
I was under the impression that colder plugs had higher number than hotter plugs. So an X24ES plug would be colder not hotter. As it happens it's recommended by NGK to go a step colder when using Ethanol so the X24ES would be better if that's the case.

I have been using  D8 in my  500,and  200,

the 500 runs well,

ordered  6 X24  to try,
Okay sitting outside in the welcome sunshine, listening to Simon Mayo album show, before going over to Johnny Walker,

Fitting the new Denso x24 plug
2 for the 200,at 25thou
4 for the 500,set at 32thou,

Started up,both running sweetly

These are the D8 ngk out of the 500,

A little dark on the outside, during to starting to warm it up,I find the plug come out easily if it's warm

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2023, 03:22:53 PM »
32 thou John, that's a little wide, pretty sure they should be 25 thou or something like.
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Offline Johnwebley

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2023, 04:02:14 PM »
32 thou John, that's a little wide, pretty sure they should be 25 thou or something like.
With the Boyer giving a nice fat spark I make use of it

Gives what appears to be a good burn, look how clean the plugs are,
The engine seems to like it,
Very responsive

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal