Author Topic: Whats the correct sidestand?  (Read 1694 times)

Offline DigDil

• View Profile
Whats the correct sidestand?
« on: August 05, 2022, 10:38:01 AM »
Hi All,

I have a usa import cb55k0 I’m trying to work out what the correct side stand looks like. When I got the bike it had some crazy length forks(it now has the correct forks) and the wrong sidestand. I picked up I thought was the correct one from ebay but this is too short.

The mount for the stand is at the front of the frame but I can’t find a good picture of one as a reference. I wonder if could post a picture or maybe have a look at what for sale on ebay and let me know which might fit.

Any help is much appreciate

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
Re: Whats the correct sidestand?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2022, 10:56:34 AM »
It will be the same as a CB500Four. If it is too short, are you sure the frame bracket is not bent.
This is a link >>> https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/354069829807?hash=item527034d8af:g:TPoAAOSwW5diCSeo

Just measured one on a bike and it is 25 to the center of the ball.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
« Last Edit: August 05, 2022, 11:53:59 AM by Trigger »

Offline DigDil

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2022, 04:35:49 PM »
Thanks for that. They both look like the one I now have so maybe something is out of shape. I'll take another look at it again over the weekend.

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2022, 05:15:12 PM »
Most of the 500 side stands will be bent. People set off with the stand down (we've all done that) first left hander it hits the floor, if you're lucky it flicks it up but more often it stands the bike up. This causes a very slight bend in the stand, the more it gets hit the worse it gets. Look at it carefully and see if you can see a slight bend.

To straighten it you'll need to get it cherry red hot and for that you really need an oxy torch, Mapp gas just doesn't do it. If you don't straighten it you'll find it will hit the No1 exhaust pipe causing a dent.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2022, 11:19:03 AM by Oddjob »
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2022, 10:40:00 PM »
Thanks for that. They both look like the one I now have so maybe something is out of shape. I'll take another look at it again over the weekend.

I think it would be the mounting bracket had been bent due to have longer forks. This is very common in the USA were, they extended the fork to try to make them look more like a chopper.

How much too short is it ? I have one somewhere that has been extended by about an inch.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2022, 11:47:38 PM by Trigger »

Offline DigDil

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2022, 01:26:20 PM »
I've measured the stand and its just slightly shorter than the one pictured at 9 1/2". As Oddjob pointed out I think its bent there's quite a curve in it. Not having  one to compare it against I thought it was normal and just the wrong stand.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2022, 01:56:56 PM by DigDil »

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2022, 04:20:27 PM »
Dont remember any cutve in sidestand, should be straight

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2022, 04:49:38 PM »
Yeah that's bent, unusually upwards. Also check to see if it's bent backwards as that's how they go when you hit them against the road. Needs to be cherry red to bend it back, I speak from experience  ;D ;D

Online SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2022, 06:08:29 PM »
I had one like that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline deltarider

• SOHC Master
  • My kingdom for a turkey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2022, 06:31:37 PM »
[...] Needs to be cherry red to bend it back [...]

That will change the molecular structure however.
Below a pic of my main stand with metal fatigue. Was welded by friend, but after some time bike went down again. My cheap suggestion: have a little piece of wood with you of say 10x10cm, also good when you park in a soft shoulder.

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2022, 06:50:36 PM »
Metal fatigue though isn't the same as a piece of metal that's just bent, it may change the structure but I doubt it would weaken it.

If that was the case we couldn't really recycle metal.

Offline deltarider

• SOHC Master
  • My kingdom for a turkey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2022, 07:22:19 PM »
It's not the same, I'm afraid. Bent metal and then bending it back, will weaken it. My RH side peg support has been slightly bent ever since a drop in the 80s, just slightly. For cosmetic reasons I wanted to straighten it again. My mechanic back then advised me not to, after I told him I have the habit to stand on the pegs to control my bike in terrain.

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2022, 07:51:24 PM »
So what about welding parts, are they weakened? If no heat was applied I'd agree it could weaken the part but with heat it allows the metal to be reshaped without significantly weakening it. Maybe the mechanic thought you meant just hitting it straight again.

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2022, 08:11:01 PM »
It's not the same, I'm afraid. Bent metal and then bending it back, will weaken it. My RH side peg support has been slightly bent ever since a drop in the 80s, just slightly. For cosmetic reasons I wanted to straighten it again. My mechanic back then advised me not to, after I told him I have the habit to stand on the pegs to control my bike in terrain.

Well, I'm afraid I can tell you that with a good degree of certainty (although not being great at studying probability) that both you and your mechanic are likely to be entirely wrong.

That would depend on the ultimate metallurgical combination of the steel used, but none of these components are routinely made of heat treatable steel. This makes them relatively insensitive to a heat cycle that would be used in both welding and same for heating the stand to return it to original shape by bending.

Oddjob is correct in how to reshape it, if clamped firmly in a vice across the flat parts of the clevis such that it's not possible to deform that bit, a big ring spanner can be used to gently bend it back while red hot.

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2022, 10:33:49 PM »
You give me far too much credit, I meant just beating the crap out of it with a bloody big hammer 😁😁😁

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal