Author Topic: Cleaning up carbs - general  (Read 1538 times)

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Cleaning up carbs - general
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2022, 10:26:49 PM »
Dark green are 80 grit, dark blue 120 grit and Red 240 grit. Must emphasise this, do not press hard or they will disintegrate on you. Around 15 on the Dremel speed, do not use high speeds with them if you can help it.

Get the feel of them and after a while you’ll know how far you can push them without wearing them out quick or them breaking up, they are bloody brilliant bits of kit. So versatile, you’ll be wondering how you got by without them in a bit.
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2022, 04:20:53 PM »
Just so you can see how good these discs are I thought I'd post a couple of pics of parts cleaned solely using them.

A 500 breather cover. Scrap as one of the screw holes is fractured off.

Before. I've included a close up of just how bad the surface is.

After. And a close up of part of the surface where I decided to see just how good I could get it without spending ages on it. It was badly dented. To clean the cover took less than 20 minutes, smoothing the small area took about 30 mins as it was pretty bad.

And my Black and Decker workmate I've started to do today. About 90 mins to do this. 3 discs on one mandrel and still not worn out. Still got the other one to do, then I'll fill in the lettering with black paint.

Offline Laverda Dave

• SOHC Jedi
  • Health is wealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2022, 04:40:15 PM »
I've bought a packet of discs on your recommendation Ken. I'd be interested to see how you paint the raised lettering on the workmate.
1976 Honda 400/4
1977 Rickman Honda CR750
1999 Honda VFR 800FX
1955 750 Dresda Triton
1978 Moto Morini 350 Sport
1978 Honda CB400/4 'Rat' bike
1982 Laverda 120 Jota

Offline Laverdaroo

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2022, 04:47:42 PM »
Dave they are the utter danglies, super chuffed and like the new presenter of "Pimp my Workmate"  said, cant believe I've never had any before. Well worth the tenner.

Big up Ken 8) ;) ;D
Mornings are the invention of the devil!

1977 CB550F (current money pit!!)
2002 VFR800 VTEC (The Beloved)
1977 CB400F (the last money pit!)
1998 Ducati 748\853 conversion(sold :()
1980 ish CB750KZ in a billion bits (need to get rid, anybody want one?))

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2022, 06:00:36 PM »
I've bought a packet of discs on your recommendation Ken. I'd be interested to see how you paint the raised lettering on the workmate.

Small brush, maybe a bit of masking and some black Hammerite. Simples  :) :)

I may do the insides and edges of the cutouts as well, should be good for a ton I reckon afterwards  ;D ;D ;D

Workmate done with dark green discs, makes quick work of stuff like that and removed old plaster etc no problem. About 12mm big now though, so I'm using that setup for the flat parts and using a new 3 disc green for the tricky internal bits where you need the longer fronds to get into corners.

The one pictured was far far worse than the one still not done, that's now 60% done, had to pick up the missus or it would be done now.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal