Author Topic: HELP! Clutch not disengaging! CB400F  (Read 1331 times)

Offline zombie365

• View Profile
HELP! Clutch not disengaging! CB400F
« on: August 07, 2022, 10:26:25 AM »
Hi All,

Just come to the end of my CB400F cafe racer build. I’m having trouble with the clutch.

The clutch is not disengaging. The bike starts perfectly fine when in neutral.

If I try and start engine whilst in gear whilst pressing clutch lever, the bike jumps forward as if the clutch isn’t pressed.

When bike is in gear with engine OFF, I rock the bike backwards and forward the back wheel is engaged with engine, there is no difference if clutch is pressed or not.

Kickstart will not engage either, it springs back into position, but it won’t engage properly to turn the engine over. Only tried kickstart when in neutral. Maybe this is related?

The engine has been stood dry for the past year whilst building the bike.

I did remove and refit the internal kickstart mechanism as it fell out when I took engine case off for refurb.

I have adjusted clutch cable so that it reaches max leverage on clutch arm, therefore clutch should definitely be disengaged.

Any things I can try before I start disassembling?

Any help would be appriciated!

Cheers,

Sam

1977 Honda CB400F

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: HELP! Clutch not disengaging! CB400F
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2022, 12:06:12 PM »
No, disassemble. You'll clearly fitted something wrong. Try and remove all the clutch plates and see if any are stuck together. Kick start is clearly not fitted right or it would work.
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Offline TrickyMicky

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2022, 07:42:10 PM »
Cannot help re. the kickstart problem, but, when my bike was put back on the road after 9 years the clutch would definitely not free off. Rather than dismantle the clutch cover etc., I clamped the handlebar lever in the release position, removed the dipstick, then the clutch is visible. Very gently with a flat bladed screwdriver it is possible to carefully part each plate from its partner whilst turning the engine over a little at a time. Be luck, Mike.

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2022, 10:27:02 PM »
I agree with Ken you need to disassemble the side cover and check out the two mechanisms.

Did you seperate the clutch plates before you put it back together - they can as you probably know stick together easily when left standing?

The clutch has that odd plate holding the 3 balls, plunger etc might be an issue there somewhere with an incorrect spacer fitting.

The kickstart should be straight forward to check - the spring can be fidly.
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2022, 10:49:10 PM »
Have you put #115 in the correct location, a lot of people don't.
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline zombie365

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2022, 01:23:34 PM »
Alright guys,

Thanks for the replys.

So dropped the oil and took cover off last night. I carfully and lightly used a flat bladed screwdriver to seperate plates whilst dripping engine oil in between plates. After I put cover back on and filled up with oil again, I rocked backwards and forwards whilst in gear with clutch held in and the rear wheel now moves freely ! :) Seems like it was just sticky plates!

I dared to start her in gear and clutch seems to be working as it should now, however there is a little clutch drag, I think it just needs running in as its been dry stood for so long.

I also checked the kick starter mechanism and it all looks fine to me... however it just doesnt seem to want to bite if I move the kickstart slowly. Am I just not "kicking" fast engough for it to bite? Video:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/5RRY3ikPwhp29te66

I did check the ratchet mechinism and it moves freely.

Cheers,

1977 Honda CB400F

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2022, 04:47:41 PM »
The splines on that kick start shaft look pretty bad. Are you sure it's not just spinning on the lever? Watch the centre shaft as you slowly kick and see if it's actually moving.

Make sure the springs are located properly as well or it won't work.

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2022, 04:51:40 PM »
At least progress with the clutch, so half way there.

The kickstart, the loop's spring tab at top left in photo should be held stationary when installed as it's this that when you rotate the shaft will cause the engagement spiral (inside that gear) to push the two sets of teeth onto each other and then drive the gear that turns the engine.  Phew, that's a long sentence  :)

If that "tang" also rotates, then nothing happens. Held like that (out of the engine) if you rotate that tang it should show you the paired gear teeth come into engagement if you do that while holding the rest of that assembly static.

Offline zombie365

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2022, 11:40:09 PM »
*Update*

So tried the kickstart tonight and it's working perfectly!

The only thing I can think I might have done is not put the kickstart hairpin into the slot when fitting the mechanism into the engine. Not 100% sure this was the cause but it's the only thing I can think that I might have done.

All working now :)

Just got to figure a way to stop my clip ons from slipping on stanchions! But I have a different post for that  ;D

Cheers all

1977 Honda CB400F

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2022, 01:05:30 PM »
If you can find a decent second hand one I'd advise changing the shaft as the splines will go eventually. The inner ring is almost useless as they are, that means the outer ring is carrying all the stress and they will fail in time. Either that or don't use it very often  :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal