Author Topic: Fuel tap causing flooding?  (Read 1193 times)

Offline 350Simon

• 1974 Honda 350 Four, 1974 Honda PC50
    • View Profile
Fuel tap causing flooding?
« on: August 07, 2022, 12:48:48 PM »
When I bought my 350f the dealer said 'always run these old bikes in the reserve position'....... in other words there's a problem with your fuel tap but I don't want to tell you haha

Anyway it runs great so no issues there, yesterday out of interest I thought I'd put the tap in the on position and see what happened. Literally 15 seconds later fuel is pissing out all 4 overflows onto the drive. Turn it to reserve, fuel stops flooding out the carbs.

Started engine with tap in reserve, lovely idle and good response. Turn tap to on position, bike starts spluttering and flooding carbs again.

Could it be that the tap is broken? It seems very odd to me as you'd expect if it was a float / seat issue it would also flood in the reserve position. Anyone had this before?

Cheers
Simon

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: August 07, 2022, 01:03:42 PM by 350Simon »
If it isn't broken, fix it anyway!

Online McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Fuel tap causing flooding?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2022, 01:18:26 PM »
That's weird as if the tap internals are as they should be you would have a greater fuel  pressure in reserve - lower in normal ON position.
Out of interest what happens if you are on reserve and open the filler cap.
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline 350Simon

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2022, 01:30:15 PM »
That's weird as if the tap internals are as they should be you would have a greater fuel  pressure in reserve - lower in normal ON position.
Out of interest what happens if you are on reserve and open the filler cap.
Yes that's exactly what I thought. Pressure should be greater on reserve setting than 'on'.

An internal restrictor perhaps broken down? Someone has rebuilt it back to front maybe? Is that even possible?

Not tried with the cap off yet I will try that shortly!

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk

Offline Laverdaroo

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2022, 05:19:20 PM »
Wonder if the rubber diaphram/gusset thingy inside is split or in back to front as you suggest (if thats indeed possible) weird it behaving like that!
Mornings are the invention of the devil!

1977 CB550F (current money pit!!)
2002 VFR800 VTEC (The Beloved)
1977 CB400F (the last money pit!)
1998 Ducati 748\853 conversion(sold :()
1980 ish CB750KZ in a billion bits (need to get rid, anybody want one?))

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2022, 07:24:56 PM »
If the tap is switched off whilst the engine is running to empty the carb bowls you can sometimes get flooding when you open the tap again if the valves stick a little. Before my rebuild I found rocking the bike whilst on the centre stand would fix the flooding immediately.

Offline Seabeowner

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2022, 07:32:20 PM »
Strange, the pressure when there is no flow will be the same as it's the height of the fuel in the tank to the needle valves in the carbs that determines the pressure. When there is flow there will be a change dependent on restrictions in the path. But the needle valves should be strong enough to hold back pressure from a tank filled to the brim. (but in practice they often drip a tiny bit, so always turn it off)
Phil
1971  CB500K0  Candy Jade Green or Candy Gold
1973  CB500K1  Candy Ruby Red
1975  CB550F1   Shiny Orange
1978  CB550K     Excel Black

Offline TrickyMicky

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2022, 08:03:24 PM »
The floats and float valves will do their job irrespective of what position the fuel tap is in, the fuel can only pass down through the same delivery pipe.  Is there a chance that the tap is actually leaking in that position, and gravity is allowing the fuel to run down the outside of the pipe, running over the outside of the carbs, and following the easiest path downwards which would be via the overflow pipes.  Make sure everything is bone dry, kneel down next to the bike, then using a torch,(NOT A MATCH!!), turn on the fuel and see if the outside of the delivery pipe becomes wet and shiny. Have fun, we love this hobby don't we?  Late PS:-  I meant to say that it really does sound as though the tap has been wrongly assembled. There's an exploded parts diagram on the CMSNL website, might possibly help.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2022, 08:41:20 PM by TrickyMicky »

Offline Athame57

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • SeaWitch Artist
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2022, 09:01:33 PM »
I think I would be looking for a new tap myself by now!
I brake for animals!
1978 CB400F2

Offline 350Simon

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2022, 12:04:45 PM »
The floats and float valves will do their job irrespective of what position the fuel tap is in, the fuel can only pass down through the same delivery pipe.  Is there a chance that the tap is actually leaking in that position, and gravity is allowing the fuel to run down the outside of the pipe, running over the outside of the carbs, and following the easiest path downwards which would be via the overflow pipes.  Make sure everything is bone dry, kneel down next to the bike, then using a torch,(NOT A MATCH!!), turn on the fuel and see if the outside of the delivery pipe becomes wet and shiny. Have fun, we love this hobby don't we?  Late PS:-  I meant to say that it really does sound as though the tap has been wrongly assembled. There's an exploded parts diagram on the CMSNL website, might possibly help.

This seems like the most plausible answer to this conundrum. I shall try tonight when I get home and see what happens, a leak at the tap crossed my mind but I just imagined it would drip down onto the crank cases and so dismissed the idea but as you say the fuel may well be flowing down the outside of the feed pipe!

Ta

Offline 350Simon

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2022, 12:09:22 PM »
I think I would be looking for a new tap myself by now!

I don't really want a shiny new tap as my bike is nicely aged apart from the exhaust which will tarnish fairly soon anyway. If anything I'll try and rebuild the old tap I think.

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2022, 01:47:29 PM »
If it's the same as a 400 I used the DS repair kit - I re-used the one O ring rather than using the two thinner ones.

Can't see how it will fix the carbs from flooding changing the tap?

Online Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2022, 07:52:44 PM »
One of the biggest problems are the washers under the two screws holding tap to tank as they are a thick fibre and i have only ever been able to find them as genuine, expensive, Honda. Generic are too thin and split, i have had sucsess with alloy bodied Dowty washers but they are not easy to get now as they have changed the body to stainless.
It is worth changing the 4 hole rubber disc as they do wear and leak

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2022, 11:08:33 PM »
DS has some in stock these days. I reckon he's bought someone out in the states as he's got stuff he didn't have before.
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal