Author Topic: CB750 K1 restoration  (Read 1996 times)

Offline Sesman

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: CB750 K1 restoration
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2022, 07:42:06 PM »
Having absolutely no insight whatsoever to the UK versus the rest of the word position, I’m still unclear as to the argument surrounding the UK versus ‘import’ cost/value argument.

It’s my understanding that all Hondas of this marque are Japanese Exports and some simply eventually  in the UK via other countries…the USA for example. Judging by some of the UK bikes I’ve seen the imports have survived much better. Yes they may have subtle styling differences, but they are essentially the same product!

Surely the bikes should be evaluated on appearance and quality alone, not the countries through which they have travelled. Mines a Japanese export that’s finally arrived in the UK via the USA and thank goodness it did, judging by some of the rusted heaps I’ve seen toted as ‘genuine’ UK barn find.

Genuinely, some insight to the concept would be appreciated.

Mischievously yours
💥🤪🌪💀

You know what youve done there Phil, dont you! ;) ;D

I’ll just get me coat.😀

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2022, 08:00:27 PM »
Ted..... I've sat here and worked out how much all our bikes are worth using your formulae,  it's bollocks 😂😂😂😂😂😂.  (no,  I'm not being rude to Ted for anyone that thinks I am 😁😁😁😁)
I think you have misunderstood my formula Julie it's nothing to do with valuation or potential price at auction. it's for setting a sensible reserve to attract interest.
I would also set the reserve at £5k.
Setting an unrealistic reserve tends to not end well. Setting it low can attract interest, the bargain hunters soon drop out after a few bids when the serious buyers step in.
If one has owned an old bike for a substantial period of time then clearly in place of your original purchase price then  the current price of an unrestored model is used instead - my reserve guide is ideally based on a bike that has been owned for 2 years or less.
Clearly rare model versions / variant are in a market of thier own.

Auction prices are often a distortion of true value as on the one hand bidders can get carried away - then there are firestorm sales when stuff is extremely cheap amd below the normal market price as the seller is desperate or the item is out of season.

A vehicle like a house is only worth what someone is prepared to pay on the day.

I used to frequently attend car auctions both as a seller & buyer but that was decades ago.

I did buy a portrait of Joanna Lumbley once at a charity auction at Allied social club in Burton-on-Trent I outbid the only other keen buyer.
Wendy went balistic as it was lets say artistic -  luckily Wendy  knew the other bidder through a friend  - I sold it to him the next day for a small profit that I was then made to donate to the charity on the night.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2022, 10:29:48 AM by McCabe-Thiele (Ted) »
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2022, 08:13:42 PM »
Having absolutely no insight whatsoever to the UK versus the rest of the word position, I’m still unclear as to the argument surrounding the UK versus ‘import’ cost/value argument.

It’s my understanding that all Hondas of this marque are Japanese Exports and some simply eventually  in the UK via other countries…the USA for example. Judging by some of the UK bikes I’ve seen the imports have survived much better. Yes they may have subtle styling differences, but they are essentially the same product!

Surely the bikes should be evaluated on appearance and quality alone, not the countries through which they have travelled. Mines a Japanese export that’s finally arrived in the UK via the USA and thank goodness it did, judging by some of the rusted heaps I’ve seen toted as ‘genuine’ UK barn find.

Genuinely, some insight to the concept would be appreciated.

Mischievously yours
💥🤪🌪💀

You know what youve done there Phil, dont you! ;) ;D

I’ll just get me coat.😀
I totally agree but buyers can be a fickle bunch

Offline Sesman

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2022, 09:20:11 PM »
And sellers Ted, and sellers..😉

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2022, 09:34:57 PM »
And sellers Ted, and sellers..😉

'Touche' I could not agree more.

Wendy has a Mercedes R129 SL500  it's a UK spec car that was delivered in West Germany to the buyer who was a RAF Officer  stationed in Germany.
I am aware that it was registered in Germany on export plates on the August 1997 then registered in the UK in January 1998.
Even as a 1997 vehicle  (though it's a 1998 model) its worth less than a 1997 UK first registered vehicle - that said it was cheaper when we bought it than similar models at MB main dealers.
The clincher for Wendy in 2002 was that the PDI was stamped in the service book by MB Germany on the date of our wedding anniversary.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2022, 09:51:51 PM by McCabe-Thiele (Ted) »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal