Author Topic: 400/4 ignition timing  (Read 6159 times)

Offline colin400four

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
400/4 ignition timing
« on: June 24, 2010, 08:30:38 PM »
Good Evening to you all,

I'm about to change the points and condensers, then re do the ignition timing. any points to watch out for, and any tips on the ignition timing, Only ever done this on twins and used the fag paper method to great success but a 4 seems more "complicated".

I've read on this forum that the most "popular" method to use when timing these old fours is the static method, could anyone talk this process through for me ???.

Best Regards

Offline PatM

• SOHC Member
  • 2001 R1, Triumph 1200 and the little 400/4!
    • View Profile
Re: 400/4 ignition timing
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2010, 09:07:16 PM »
I havent done it in this incarnation, ie for about 20 years- but multimeter or light and stobe light to check each set. The marks on the plate are the starting poinbt and make sure all the insulators are in place on the points otherwise you will earth the live lead and get no sparks at the plugs! Probaly bets to change one set at a time- start the bike, on one new set/one old set- then you know it works. I it doesnt, play with the one new one till you get it right. Photos help! Good luck. (I take it you have a Haynes manual?)

Offline colin400four

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2010, 05:40:32 AM »
Hi PatM, many thanks for your kind words.
Colin.

Offline Spitfire

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2010, 08:59:21 AM »
Have a look here for all sorts of info.
http://users.fulladsl.be/spb2854/docs.htm

Cheers

Den
1976 CB750F

1977 CB750F2 In bits

1964 BSA A65R In bits

Offline florence

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2010, 11:05:34 AM »
I have an old indicator with no lens which has long wires with crocodile clips.  One wire goes onto the points, the other onto an earth on the frame, an exhaust stud is ideal.  Set the points gap to the recommended amount.  Next, turn the crankshaft using a spanner.  The points should begin to open at the exact point that the 'F' mark lines up on the timing marks (as described in the manual).  It's pretty easy once you get used to it.  You will need to repeat this process for each set.

If you cannot get a bulb and wire together you can put a small transistor radio tuned off-station near the engine.  When the points open you will hear a click coming from the radio.  Sounds mad but it works.  (NB this will not work with digital radios)

Offline PatM

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2010, 11:56:02 AM »
What a brilliant idea- the transistor radio! I used to be  a radio Ham and I never thought of that! Any old amp or radio should do as they pick up the stray RF from the capacitor!- The basis of morse code! One of my 400/f's had electronic ignition when I brought it- I immediatley replaced with points- fiddly to get right- but will always get you home- Transistorised ignition will work a treat- rarely go out- but when it fails-which is does- as the capacitors blow and take out the power transistors- thats it- a long push home!

Offline florence

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2010, 12:20:13 PM »
I couldn't agree more.  I do not like electronic ignition.  My friend had it on his bike once (CB550 four) and it was always going wrong.  I changed it back to points for him in the end. 

Contact breaker points can always be made to work even if improperly; you will at least get going again.  When I travel long distances or tour, I always take a very simple tool kit.  I once reset my points and ignition timing on a campside in rural France, miles from anywhere( should I say kilometres?).  I had a screwdriver, an adjustable spanner, a portable radio and a bit of emery cloth.  If I had needed to find parts I would have been in trouble.

Offline colin400four

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2010, 01:40:33 PM »
Good Afternoon to you all,

Many thanks for all your wise words and recommendations, I will give it a go and let you know. When you conect a bulb to the points, I presume the ignition needs to be on to power the bulb, or am I totally wide of the mark ??.

COLIN.

Offline PatM

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2010, 01:49:03 PM »
Yes Colin, ignition switch to on. Just rotate the crankshaft slowly with a good fir socket and you will see the light come on and off- it lights when the points OPEN. You use the light comming on as the referenece point.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal