SOHC.co.uk Forums > Project Board

Teds new project a CB500 K1 mostly version 0.5 circa 1972.

<< < (152/158) > >>

McCabe-Thiele (Ted):

--- Quote from: Bryanj on May 04, 2024, 08:55:55 PM ---550 and 500 same shape but later ones had a connector bit, the screwed in retainer does not have a seal, only the big tim pressed plate

--- End quote ---

So the seal fits into the sprocket cover plate Bryan not the retainer ring - that makes sense.
It confirms what seablower said as well.

I should have taken more photos and listned the first time!

PXL_20240505_084731863 by Macabe Thiele, on Flickr

McCabe-Thiele (Ted):
Plan C now used the DS retainer ring having fitted the different pins to my tool - tightened up nice and tight - all looks good

The 500 rear wheel when fully assembled felt so much heavier than the 400.
Seal fitted into the sprocket tin plate after fitting the left side spacer wide end to the bearing. Large O ring fitted to the hub all in place as per the parts exploded diagram.  Spocket nuts nipped down with some new locking washers fitted.

I've done the first fit of the wheel - looking good - not torqued up the sprocket nuts yet or bent the locking tabs into place. I'm worn out now for today.
I'll tighten up the rear axle to check the wheel rotates freely before I fit the chain etc.

McCabe-Thiele (Ted):
Just keeping the project progress up to date - sorted out the wheel binding when I tightened up the axle nut - turned out to be a combination of the right wheel bearing not being knocked in fully home plus some brake shoe binding as per my 500 advice sought post on wheel binding.

Rear wheel now fitted, chain fitted together with rear brake rod / adjuster and hub bar thingy. Now the bike has two wheels fitted I need to remove the center scissor stand and torque up the sump and various other bits like the front wheel clamps.

I have a list of items to check for tightness and add my yellow dots when done. My plan is to start fitting the exhuast system in the next couple of weeks.

Photo of bike to date.

Updated:-

Went fishing yesterday (Weds) for a couple of hours in the early evening.

.9th May 2024 by Macabe Thiele, on Flickr

Johnny4428:
Nice work there Ted! Shapeing up to be a nice bike!

Laverda Dave:
Looking very good Ted, you've been busy👍

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version