Author Topic: CB500 upper front brake hose routing  (Read 1193 times)

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: CB500 upper front brake hose routing
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2022, 09:54:46 PM »
No i dont have the covered stuff, just the hose and fittings left over from a few years back

Offline SPR

• SOHC Pro
  • 1972 500/4 K1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2022, 07:48:05 AM »
Might be the change of route will loose some of the excess hose - worth a try just cost a  bit of brake fluid.

Yep worth a go

Offline SPR

• SOHC Pro
  • 1972 500/4 K1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2022, 01:53:38 PM »
Good shout by Ted ......

Stripped the calipers to give it a quick coat of paint and flushed the system to use DOT5 .... rerouted the upper hose and also the two throttle cables

The hose may still be a little long but a test ride shows all works as well as before and the headlight area certainly looks better for moving everything

Thanks

Simon

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Online McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2022, 04:54:06 PM »
Just a word of caution Simon the Silicon Dot 5.0 is not miscible with any other brake fluid - if possible use only after a full dismantling with clean master cylinder, caliper innards, flexi hose & pipes.

If you have just drained the master cylinder & pumped out the fluid using some Dot 5.0 as a flushing agent then after standing for a day I would pump out some fluid from the caliper bleed nipple into a glass test tube or similar to check for traces of the old fluid.

The new silicone fluid  will float on top  - the old fluid will be in a puddle at the bottom like a sediment.

PS Don't ask how I know this.

A short ride might help the shake down.

« Last Edit: September 19, 2022, 06:17:39 PM by McCabe-Thiele (Ted) »
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline SPR

• SOHC Pro
  • 1972 500/4 K1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2022, 08:10:14 PM »
Just a word of caution Simon the Silicon Dot 5.0 is not miscible with any other brake fluid - if possible use only after a full dismantling with clean master cylinder, caliper innards, flexi hose & pipes.

If you have just drained the master cylinder & pumped out the fluid using some Dot 5.0 as a flushing agent then after standing for a day I would pump out some fluid from the caliper bleed nipple into a glass test tube or similar to check for traces of the old fluid.

The new silicone fluid  will float on top  - the old fluid will be in a puddle at the bottom like a sediment.

PS Don't ask how I know this.

A short ride might help the shake down.

Thanks Ted

All was cleaned prior to use but there could still be residue in the hoses so I plan on further changing of fluid again in a few days

Thanks

Simon

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal