Author Topic: More carb troubles, engine won't return to idle revs  (Read 4706 times)

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: More carb troubles, engine won't return to idle revs
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2022, 04:56:11 PM »
Could be that's the problem, could be a spring under that which has rusted away and not forcing the T cup up enough for it to close the throttle riser.
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2022, 05:16:23 PM »
Yep they're all there but one T cup bit in lower end of riser ( one on which brass cap fits) doesn't want to come out and didn't during strip down .

I do not see that as a problem if its the unsprung static cup.
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline billdn

• SOHC Expert
  • never ever buy a basket case again!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2022, 05:54:49 PM »
With you on that Ted , also no spring below it.

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2022, 08:14:31 PM »
Did you number the sliders & put them back in their original carb body.

Offline billdn

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2022, 08:29:50 PM »
No worries Ted on that score, been there before, isn't that what old takeaway dishes are for ? 😉🤣

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2022, 09:14:54 PM »
No worries Ted on that score, been there before, isn't that what old takeaway dishes are for ? 😉🤣

Yes indeed - so have you sorted it ?

Offline billdn

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2022, 06:04:14 AM »
Not as yet. Got to take my dear lady into hospital for major surgery,  so been a bit preoccupied.  I'll let you know how it goes , the bike, that is, when I get time . 👍

Offline billdn

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2022, 03:47:33 PM »
Sorry to return to this but have tried everything suggested to no avail. Watched videos suggested, did Bryan's revised bench sync . Air screw on carbs 1 and half turns out but still same problem. 
Any more ideas, close to scrapping b****y thing. Even rechecked float heights again as per Nurse Julie method and all OK.
Someone suggested balancing carbs but as won't tickover seems to be bit early for that ?

Offline Sesman

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 13, 2022, 04:14:35 PM »
If the throttles are snapping fully closed, which is very easy to prove, I’d wager somebody else’s pension it’s a pilot jet/pilot jet route partial blockage.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2022, 05:34:44 PM by Sesman »

Offline gary123

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 13, 2022, 04:18:32 PM »
Im the last person to dispense carb advice as its all witchcraft to me, BUT my 500 would not run correctly until everything was on, and nice and tight.
Including the air filter and lid and the proper fuel tank, it did not like my aux tank.

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 13, 2022, 04:18:54 PM »
Bill, I'm down in Crowborough from Wed 23rd November for 5 days. If you haven't made any progress, I don't mind coming over and collecting the carbs, bringing them back to Lincs to check them out for you. But, by what you have checked already, I would really only be going over everything again.
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 13, 2022, 05:13:47 PM »
Just a thought Bill, did you fit the carb to manifold stubs in the correct orientation?  If yours are OEM, if they are fitted correctly, they should read 1,2,3,4 from left to right whilst sitting on bike. The 2 middle ones, 2 & 3 are angled differently than 1 & 4, if not fitted correctly, air may be getting in.
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline billdn

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 13, 2022, 05:27:49 PM »
If the throttles are snapping fully closed, which is very easy to prove, I’d not somebody else’s pension it’s a pilot jet/pilot jet route partial blockage.
I'm taking them off ...again so I'll have a check but all were cleaned before reassembly but you never know 👍

Offline billdn

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 13, 2022, 05:33:00 PM »
Just a thought Bill, did you fit the carb to manifold stubs in the correct orientation?  If yours are OEM, if they are fitted correctly, they should read 1,2,3,4 from left to right whilst sitting on bike. The 2 middle ones, 2 & 3 are angled differently than 1 & 4, if not fitted correctly, air may be getting in.
I do remember checking that as they have a number embossed on them I recall.  Have tried spraying them when running with carb cleaner and no pick up in revs. Thanks for the offer Julie, I'll persist in the meantime but if without success, may well take you up on your offer. 👍

Offline Scottish Badger

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 13, 2022, 10:10:08 PM »
I've just finished rebuilding a spare set of carbs on the bench, here's my thoughts based on what I found whilst setting them up "static".
If you don't screw all the linkage balancing adjusters in far enough, the throttle slides can be held ever so slightly open.  Also, the butterfly stop bolt can be set wrong and prevent the carbs closing off fully - with the throttle fully closed there should be a gap between the butterfly and the eccentric stop pin.
Having said that, revs hanging up on closing the throttle used to be a classic symptom of an inlet air leak somewhere....  but if you're convinced there are no leaks, I'd try screwing the balance adjusters all in by the same amount, say two complete turns? You may have to readjust the fully-open throttle stop afterwards, to achieve full throttle, without the slides rising up beyond the carb bores. Hope this is of some help.....

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal