Author Topic: And for something totally different ...........  (Read 3899 times)

Offline Sesman

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: And for something totally different ...........
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2022, 10:38:16 AM »
Yep, wish I’d never sold my 900 Darmah SS. Worth a lot of dosh now. But in reality it was a hopeless machine with problem electrics, very weak layshaft and drive shaft bearings, destroyed chains and sheared rear sprocket bolts. Not to mention heavy controls and high maintenance requirements. I took mine to Italy and back and then had to have Steve Wynn rebuild it on my return. 4 k miles later it needed doing again!

I reckon if I’d kept it and run it for the last 42 years I’d have spent more on it than it is worth now!

Offline SPR

• SOHC Pro
  • 1972 500/4 K1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2022, 11:37:18 AM »
Spoke to Keith this morning and it is going to him for a service / check inc primary chain

He knows the restorer who did the job a couple of years ago and says he is decent

Online Johnwebley

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2022, 02:19:58 PM »

if you need any details about it,might be worth contacting Richard Slater,of Slater Laverda,Bromyard, Herefordshire,

they were the original importers
lifelong motorcycle rider,and fan

Offline Laverdaroo

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2022, 02:49:24 PM »
Thanks for the kind words everyone :)

I'll take on board the warming up bit Bryan - cheers

As it is already in Sotland I'm debating having it dropped to Keith at Laverda Scozia for  check over / service

He's yer ,an, couldnt think of the cahps name. He's the Don on these, worth the wait and the money.
Mornings are the invention of the devil!

1977 CB550F (current money pit!!)
2002 VFR800 VTEC (The Beloved)
1977 CB400F (the last money pit!)
1998 Ducati 748\853 conversion(sold :()
1980 ish CB750KZ in a billion bits (need to get rid, anybody want one?))

Offline SPR

• SOHC Pro
  • 1972 500/4 K1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2022, 03:50:51 PM »

if you need any details about it,might be worth contacting Richard Slater,of Slater Laverda,Bromyard, Herefordshire,

they were the original importers

Thanks John

Offline Laverda Dave

• SOHC Jedi
  • Health is wealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2022, 04:07:04 PM »
Thanks for the kind words everyone :)

I'll take on board the warming up bit Bryan - cheers

As it is already in Sotland I'm debating having it dropped to Keith at Laverda Scozia for  check over / service

Well done Simon, the SF is a fantastic bike and a great way to get into the world of Laverda. The drum brakes were of Laverda's own manufacture. This is where the name SF comes from 'Super Freno' or Super Brake if translated. Get yourself a copy of Laverda Twins & Triple Bible by Simon Fallon, it is very informative.
I 100% reccomend Keith Nairn, he's a very busy man but you will not find anyone better to fettle a Laverda. He can 'twist' the crank to give a 270 firing order, they sound awesome! Keith bought most of his tooling to rebuild cranks from Phil Todd a few years ago. What Keith doesn't know and what he cannot do with Laverda's isn't worth knowing.
Join the ILOC as well, they are a great owners club.
1976 Honda 400/4
1977 Rickman Honda CR750
1999 Honda VFR 800FX
1955 750 Dresda Triton
1978 Moto Morini 350 Sport
1978 Honda CB400/4 'Rat' bike
1982 Laverda 120 Jota

Offline SPR

• SOHC Pro
  • 1972 500/4 K1
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2022, 04:23:13 PM »

Well done Simon, the SF is a fantastic bike and a great way to get into the world of Laverda. The drum brakes were of Laverda's own manufacture. This is where the name SF comes from 'Super Freno' or Super Brake if translated. Get yourself a copy of Laverda Twins & Triple Bible by Simon Fallon, it is very informative.
I 100% reccomend Keith Nairn, he's a very busy man but you will not find anyone better to fettle a Laverda. He can 'twist' the crank to give a 270 firing order, they sound awesome! Keith bought most of his tooling to rebuild cranks from Phil Todd a few years ago. What Keith doesn't know and what he cannot do with Laverda's isn't worth knowing.

Cheers Dave

Spoke to Keith this morning and he is going to get it serviced next week - the seller is closeby to him and they know each other ... I'll search for the book :) Joined ILOC as well

Simon

Offline Laverda Dave

• SOHC Jedi
  • Health is wealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2022, 08:36:41 PM »

Cheers Dave

Spoke to Keith this morning and he is going to get it serviced next week - the seller is closeby to him and they know each other ... I'll search for the book :) Joined ILOC as well

Simon

Was the SF one of Grant's restorations? He owned my 120 Jota a few owners before I bought it. You won't go wrong with Keith, if he says something needs doing it really does. Say hello to him from Dave when you see him, he's rebuilding the motor on my 120 Jota.
You will love the SF, lots of grunt and high quality castings, Laverda had their own foundry and made their own engines, wheels and brakes. When you buy a Laverda you join the family!
1976 Honda 400/4
1977 Rickman Honda CR750
1999 Honda VFR 800FX
1955 750 Dresda Triton
1982 Laverda 120 Jota

Offline SPR

• SOHC Pro
  • 1972 500/4 K1
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2022, 08:41:08 PM »
Was the SF one of Grant's restorations? He owned my 120 Jota a few owners before I bought it. You won't go wrong with Keith, if he says something needs doing it really does. Say hello to him from Dave when you see him, he's rebuilding the motor on my 120 Jota.
You will love the SF, lots of grunt and high quality castings, Laverda had their own foundry and made their own engines, wheels and brakes. When you buy a Laverda you join the family!

I don't know the name of the restorer .... I'm hoping for a quick turnaround but he is in the middle of moving premises as well at the moment

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2022, 08:46:06 PM »
I remember putting a lot of miles on an SF when i worked for Frazers after we rebored having taken it in on pex to get rid of an ugly Guzzi knowing the SF smoked, couldnt tell you how good the front brake was as i never used it as at running in speeds you didnt slow down for roundabouts and corners due to impecable handling

Offline Laverda Dave

• SOHC Jedi
  • Health is wealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2022, 08:52:51 PM »

I don't know the name of the restorer .... I'm hoping for a quick turnaround but he is in the middle of moving premises as well at the moment

That's good to know, his workshop at the moment is so cold and not being a proper bike workshop was a bit spread out. He will be glad to move to a better place. Ill give him a call next week to see how my Jota motor is getting on.
1976 Honda 400/4
1977 Rickman Honda CR750
1999 Honda VFR 800FX
1955 750 Dresda Triton
1982 Laverda 120 Jota

Offline SPR

• SOHC Pro
  • 1972 500/4 K1
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2022, 05:33:33 AM »
Well ... bit of a marathon this :)

Bike is finally being delivered to me tomorrow after Keith has had his hands on it - biggest things done apart from service inc primary chain as the fitted one wasn't quality and a new battery box fabricated and an electronic ignition which all added up to an eye watering bill  ::)

Hope it is all worth it .... Keith did say it was a good one

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Simon
« Last Edit: December 21, 2022, 05:45:58 AM by SPR »

Offline Sesman

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2022, 09:23:31 AM »
Looking really nice. Is that a duplex chain Ona triplex drive set?

Online McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2022, 09:54:07 AM »
Looking really nice. Is that a duplex chain Ona triplex drive set?

Is that the chain that was replaced certainly look strange?
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2022, 10:14:08 AM »
Exiting day today then SPR.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal