Author Topic: Were 500 casings originally polished alloy or sprayed with Aluminium paint?  (Read 2036 times)

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
A pretty basic question about the 500 K1 was the engine originally all painted or were the side covers polished?
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,151576.msg1731556.html#msg1731556

Offline philward

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
From memory they were polished and clear lacquered
Current Bikes:-
Honda CB750K2 (1975)
Honda CB500K2 (12/1972)
Honda CR750 Replica (1972)
Honda CB350K0 (1969)
Kawasaki ZZR1100D3 (1995)
Kawasaki ZZR250 (1990) Project (Going on eBay ASAP)

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
They are painted and then lacquered, if you’ve ever polished a casing you’ll see how much the paint covers all the blemishes and casting marks are under the paint. There are LOADS.
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
500 K0/K1
Crank cases = painted
Barrels = painted
Head = painted
Sump pan = painted
Oil filter housing = painted
Tacho drive housing = painted
Rocker cover = satin polished and lacquered
Breather cover = satin polished and lacquered
Alternator housing = satin polished and lacquered
Clutch cover =  satin polished and lacquered
Left crank case / front sprocket cover = satin polished and lacquered

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Sorry Graham but you're wrong on this one, the casings are 100% painted and lacquered, Honda are still doing this to this day, there are a few reasons why they do it, firstly, it's cheaper, secondly, the casings are not as good as they appear, they need to disguise the casting marks and the blemishes that they exhibit, painting does that, polishing would actually get rid of a load of them, which shows they ain't polished, thirdly, time, it takes a good amount of time to polish a casing, even if you have the machinery, Honda didn't have the time for that, it would have delayed production and that's something Honda would never have allowed, Fourthly, the consistency, every casing looks the same, you can't get that with polishing, the alloy itself changes with each batch, even if it's only a little, fifthly, if you've ever sanded a casing by hand you can actually see the paint layer, you wouldn't see a polish layer and lastly, the finish is across the casings, into areas where you cannot polish even with really good equipment.

The paint they use is a sort of bright but matt silver, it's the lacquer which gives it the shine. I've never been able to find the colour and I expect it's something that Honda protects as they like secrets.

If you want proof, sand a brand new casing, one that's never been fitted and used. See how many marks are on the surface, there are swirls, injector markings where the alloy was injected and then the excess was cut off, sometimes there are really apparent, sometimes they don't show until you sand them, I've got a grab rail off a VT1100 that you can just make them out and that's after being sanded really flat, there are cavities, where an air bubble sat on the surface, paint fills those in, polishing doesn't.

The major difference between the casings and the crankcases etc are that the latter are unlacquered, the silver is just flat but oddly it's not the same silver as the casings are covered with.

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
We have been through this before so many times and the silvery type coat that you think is silver paint is the acid etch used before the lacquer was applied  ;)

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
We'll agree to differ then, I can only say what I can see and acid etch wouldn't leave the layer you seem to think it would IMO.

Offline Charliecharlcomb

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
I don't agree about the casing being lacquered but they are 100% painted. Back in the day 5 wheel silver was the spray recommended as the best match. I've still got most of the original lacquer on my side cases but a couple of winters riding certainly aged them.

• Grogu
    • View Profile
FWIW my cases look like they have been polished in the past but lacquered afterwards as there is some yellowing.

I suspect not original but pretty shiny under the lacquer.

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
The yellowing is the old original lacquer, it goes yellow with age and heat  ;)   

Offline Cappodimonte

• SOHC Associate
  • Shoot first, less questions to be asked ☠️
    • View Profile
I was under the impression that Honda and other Japanese Motorcycle producers used Mazak extensively as it was easier and cheaper to mould into intricate shapes. The trade off being that it doesn’t weather very well hence the use of paint to provide protection from the kind English elements of rain,frost,snow,fog and ice.
Feel free to correct me if I’m wrong.

Offline Sesman

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
As it happens I own an original unfettled alternator case, chain case cover and clutch cover. What do I do to settle the debate? They are in fact 1977 550 F2 cases, so may only settle the case for that specific model and year?

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
I’ll be the first to ask.

Mazak?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline SPR

• SOHC Pro
  • 1972 500/4 K1
    • View Profile
I’ll be the first to ask.

Mazak?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also refered to as Zamak ?

• Grogu
    • View Profile
ZAMAK being a mnemonic made  from the metal ingredients in German says Mr Google.
Aluminium, Zinc Magnesium And Copper

So MAZAK  works as well.

ZAMAK (or Zamac, formerly trademarked as MAZAK) is a family of alloys with a base metal of zinc and alloying elements of aluminium, magnesium, and copper.ftp://
« Last Edit: October 23, 2022, 11:27:10 AM by McCabe-Thiele (Ted) »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal