Author Topic: Parts ‘n’ all  (Read 1776 times)

Online SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
Re: Parts ‘n’ all
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2022, 12:11:07 PM »
Crowing or not, it’s bloody impressive to watch those guys manoeuvring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline Johnny4428

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2022, 01:09:35 PM »
Dropping the trailer and forgetting to drop landing legs, and stretching a few “susie’s can quite easily take the shine off a tricky turn or manoeuvre.🤣🤣
Hasn’t happened to me yet! 🤪
1952 Cymoto on Triumph bicycle.
1961 Matchless G3
1974 Honda CB550K1. Running resto,
1978 Honda CB550K3.
1999 ST1100 Pan European 50th Anniversary.
1975,1980,1984,1986 Honda C90’s
1973 Honda CB750K3

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2022, 01:24:23 PM »
I used to tow a break down type Ambulance thing back in the 1970s.
The front wheels of the mini trailer held the front wheels of the   vehicle you had to unlock the steering. I could not go back more than 2 ft without getting in a mess - so I look at Artic Driver's in awe of the skills I have never had.
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,151576.msg1731556.html#msg1731556

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2022, 02:04:15 PM »
Dropping the trailer and forgetting to drop landing legs, and stretching a few “susie’s can quite easily take the shine off a tricky turn or manoeuvre.🤣🤣
Hasn’t happened to me yet! 🤪

Easily done when you get distracted halfway through your demount procedure. I've lost count of the amount of susies I broke in a 40 year career, some were because they caught on a piece of the trailer sticking out, like the ratchet for the curtains, some because they were just worn out. I've not dropped a fully loaded trailer though but have dropped one empty, low gear on the landing gear and you can get it back in the air again to the point the unit can get back under and lift it on the air suspension.

Anyone who's says they've not almost done something similar is either lying or has only been driving a week.
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Online Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2022, 02:48:18 PM »
Ken, all of us if we admit to it have
1 forgot to wind legs up
2 forgot to wind legs down
3 forgot to disconnect suzies
4 forgot to connect suzies
And worst of all, according to dvsa, forgot the dog clip, although on all the new tables it simply stops the safety clip from moving, not the arm as it used to

Offline Johnny4428

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2022, 02:56:42 PM »
Yes I will admit to not winding legs up! Oops. And undershot the hitch pin because some turkey either deliberately or didn’t know better landed a trailer with the fifth wheel high.
1952 Cymoto on Triumph bicycle.
1961 Matchless G3
1974 Honda CB550K1. Running resto,
1978 Honda CB550K3.
1999 ST1100 Pan European 50th Anniversary.
1975,1980,1984,1986 Honda C90’s
1973 Honda CB750K3

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2022, 03:41:04 PM »
We had a driver at Asda Skem who was sacked because he pulled a loaded trailer off a bay and as it swung round the trailer just fell off the fifth wheel, video evidence shows him doing the test pull, the dog clip was still engaged, the arm was across etc. They decided that video evidence wasn't admissible, which was odd as they'd used it loads of times when it supported their story and sacked him.

The rest of the drivers threatened to strike if he wasn't reinstated and they backed down. Turns out the turntable was faulty when it was inspected by the engineers, egg on the face of the manager who sacked him but of course nothing was done to that prat.
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Online Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2022, 04:11:21 PM »
Seen it happen Ken, if trailer is at just the right height the pin skims the jaws and they close with pin sat on top AND it can pass the tug test but falls off at first corner, i was using an old erf at dairy crest as a shunter and one day it would not let go a trailer, turned the jaw pivot pin had sheared and jaws jamed

Offline Cappodimonte

• SOHC Associate
  • Shoot first, less questions to be asked ☠️
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2022, 07:03:05 PM »
When you get sent to places you’ve not been before and no information given as to it’s access/egress /site availability/Weight,Height,Length restrictions amongst many other considerations, then it becomes more than ‘Just a Job’ and doesn’t compare to sitting at a desk tapping a keyboard or writing a script.

Offline Cappodimonte

• SOHC Associate
  • Shoot first, less questions to be asked ☠️
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2022, 07:37:38 PM »
Must put glasses on, didn’t see page 2 was in play, looks like quite a few of us drive or have driven LGVs and understand the complexities involved with checking Truck/Trailer/loads, plus drivers hours and Working Time Directive (Mobile Workers ) along with Digitach and Digicards, dealing with unpleasant Security Guards.  Ignorant Warehouse staff, Transport Managers with no idea of their job  and have never been behind the wheel of truck/Trailer plus dipstick motorists who will do stupid manoeuvres causing you aggravation.
Nearest I came to having disaster was seeing the docking light change from Red to Green and started the truck up (Being treated like an Adult) when I heard a bump sound. I switched the engine off got out and went to the back of the trailer pushed past the weather curtain to see the forklift coming out the trailer into the warehouse.  Rechecked the docking light which was showing Green, marched into the Warehouse office where the ear was bent of the dock controller about their faulty  dock lighting. Had I pulled off going on their light system and matey on the forklift had ended up on the deck no doubt badly injured you can bet they’d have heaped it all on me.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal