Author Topic: polishing thread?  (Read 9676 times)

Offline Johnny4428

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: polishing thread?
« Reply #135 on: November 29, 2022, 09:40:53 PM »
 I get like that. Sometimes I'll just walk away and not doing anything for ages and then I get the urge and it's on again. When that happens I can spend 14-15 hours doing parts, especially in the summer, I've worked through the night many times.
[/quote]

What no sleep? 🥱🥱🥱 couldn’t do that guys
1952 Cymoto on Triumph bicycle.
1961 Matchless G3
1974 Honda CB550K1. Running resto,
1978 Honda CB550K3.
1999 ST1100 Pan European 50th Anniversary.
1975,1980,1984,1986 Honda C90’s
1973 Honda CB750K3

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: November 29, 2022, 11:49:32 PM »
Not sleeping much these days Johnny, I tend to stay awake till 6am most days and then get up around midday, years spent doing nights has ruined my body clock.
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Online Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: November 29, 2022, 11:56:06 PM »
Typical truck driver!

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: November 30, 2022, 12:10:23 AM »
Tru dat.

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: November 30, 2022, 12:19:20 AM »
I find the worst thing is looking like a coal miner after a 12 shift at the face  :(

I have a joke about something like that. 

And this is not the joke but I was telling it at work one day to a manager, I'd warned him from the outset that he may think it was racist but I assured him it wasn't. Got halfway through and he yelled at me "Tell me one more word and I'll suspend you" I kid you not.  Now I thought he was joking so I carried on after giving him a funny look, he then said "That's it, I'm serious, one more word and you're suspended". He then stormed off. There was a female manager by the side of him and I looked at her and said, it's not racist I swear and to prove it I'll tell you the rest of it. At the end she agreed it wasn't racist, the other manager (a bloke I may add) came back, I told him she'd agreed it wasn't racist but he said and I kid you not. "If I think it's racist, then it's racist and that's that".

I replied "Everyone thought the earth was flat many years ago and it turned out not to be, so you can think what you like, it doesn't make you right"

Offline Laverdaroo

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: November 30, 2022, 08:43:16 AM »
Ha haaaaaa! Love that, what a come back.

Have a FAT ‘shut up yer pillock’ ……. With a cherry. I bet that didn’t make you smerk Ken

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mornings are the invention of the devil!

1977 CB550F (current money pit!!)
2002 VFR800 VTEC (The Beloved)
1977 CB400F (the last money pit!)
1998 Ducati 748\853 conversion(sold :()
1980 ish CB750KZ in a billion bits (need to get rid, anybody want one?))

Online AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: November 30, 2022, 09:19:15 AM »
Ken .. have you ever tried 3-M  silicon-carbide deburring wheels?
We use them at work and they give me them when worn down a bit and they are magic for initial polishing plus they last absolutely ages and don't make loads of mess. I think they are quite expensive though. I seem to remember a set of coarse/fine replacement wheels cost as much as the grinder/polisher you buy as a 'deburring station' that comes with them as part of the 'kit'
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Matt_Harrington

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: November 30, 2022, 10:22:45 AM »
Dont know Matt, didnt know I had to........whats the best for y9ur buckand finish etc?

Nathan cant do the pipeds as heshaving difficulty with the material chipping when itsin the abrasive media whilst polishing so hes declined gracfully. Thats why I use him, he doesnt blow smoke up yer rear end and just say yes to everything, if he cant ,he cant, and i ;)f he camn he does, ace fella!

Do you mean removing the old chrome?
Matt

PS I use microcrystalline wax on polished surfaces - it helps
Matt
CD175 - To be restored
Triumph Speed 400

Offline Johnny4428

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: November 30, 2022, 11:37:39 AM »
I find the worst thing is looking like a coal miner after a 12 shift at the face  :(

I have a joke about something like that. 

And this is not the joke but I was telling it at work one day to a manager, I'd warned him from the outset that he may think it was racist but I assured him it wasn't. Got halfway through and he yelled at me "Tell me one more word and I'll suspend you" I kid you not.  Now I thought he was joking so I carried on after giving him a funny look, he then said "That's it, I'm serious, one more word and you're suspended". He then stormed off. There was a female manager by the side of him and I looked at her and said, it's not racist I swear and to prove it I'll tell you the rest of it. At the end she agreed it wasn't racist, the other manager (a bloke I may add) came back, I told him she'd agreed it wasn't racist but he said and I kid you not. "If I think it's racist, then it's racist and that's that".

I replied "Everyone thought the earth was flat many years ago and it turned out not to be, so you can think what you like, it doesn't make you right"

🤭🤭😂
1952 Cymoto on Triumph bicycle.
1961 Matchless G3
1974 Honda CB550K1. Running resto,
1978 Honda CB550K3.
1999 ST1100 Pan European 50th Anniversary.
1975,1980,1984,1986 Honda C90’s
1973 Honda CB750K3

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: November 30, 2022, 02:53:12 PM »
Smerk? No actually it proved to be a major problem between us until I left. He didn't like being shown up as an arsehole so he decided to try and make my life hell. I had my own unit, it was a sort of reward because I always kept my units immaculate, every day when I started and he was on he'd given it away to someone else, he claimed he'd forgotten and it was an accident, I got more and more annoyed, whenever he wasn't on shift I got my unit, the other managers knew what was going on but didn't intervene, one day after finishing my shift I decided to have it out with him, "Nice Day?" the other manager said, "yeah ok" I replied, "would have been even better with my own unit" He wasn't having that so he pipes up, "It's not your unit, it's Asdas unit" "Funny that, if you look on that list in front of you it clearly has my name against that reg and the rules are you're supposed to consult that list before giving a unit out, now if I wasn't doing my job you'd be all over my arse but you don't do it and it's a mistake and nothing said" He sort of exploded, "I give it away deliberately" he said " Just to piss you off" "You do know that's a form of bullying and can get you in real trouble if I report it" He was a little wary after that but decided to face it out, "I can do what I want and there's nothing you can do" So I reported him, the other manager backed me up that he'd said it. After that I always got my unit but the tension between us could be cut with a knife. I've had him so close to my face ours noses were touching, he was very red in the face and he had his fists clenched, I suppose he didn't like me much  ;D ;D I was a Senior Shop Steward for a number of years and didn't take any bullshit and that annoyed the hell out of him, just a typical bully, doesn't like being stood up to.

Ash, no never tried them, never even heard of them TBH, are they meant for a bench grinder?

Roo, I've used Carnuba Wax on some of my polished surfaces, it can help keep them clean and makes them easier to clean when they get dirty. Depends where the surface is located though, if it has heat going through it I don't bother.

Offline Laverdaroo

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: November 30, 2022, 07:25:41 PM »
Cheers mate, I think I've read something on that Carnuba before but it hadn't clicked. I shall peruse the world wide web for info and have a read. Ta. ;)
Do you bob it on with a terry toweling polish rag I take it?
Had you already done those fork bottoms for me before you sent them down Ken or are they still to do? There's a fair bit of shiny on this and on the 400  so I better invest I think.
Mornings are the invention of the devil!

1977 CB550F (current money pit!!)
2002 VFR800 VTEC (The Beloved)
1977 CB400F (the last money pit!)
1998 Ducati 748\853 conversion(sold :()
1980 ish CB750KZ in a billion bits (need to get rid, anybody want one?))

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: November 30, 2022, 10:45:45 PM »
No, didn't do the sliders, forgot TBH. I just bob it on with anything to hand, usually one of those foam pads.

Online AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: December 01, 2022, 01:20:25 PM »

Ash, no never tried them, never even heard of them TBH, are they meant for a bench grinder?

Yes on a bench grinder .. this is the one in workshop where I work 1 day/week now. But I put the part-worn wheels on an extended shaft, basically on the same bench grinder I have in my workshop at home.

“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Online McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: December 01, 2022, 01:39:41 PM »
Cheers mate, I think I've read something on that Carnuba before but it hadn't clicked. I shall peruse the world wide web for info and have a read. Ta. ;)
Do you bob it on with a terry toweling polish rag I take it?
Had you already done those fork bottoms for me before you sent them down Ken or are they still to do? There's a fair bit of shiny on this and on the 400  so I better invest I think.
Then there are Ceramic Waxes Roo for long life.
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: December 01, 2022, 03:04:50 PM »
Approx £100 a wheel for those 3m wheels Ash. Bit expensive if I don't like them.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal