Author Topic: Rear Damper bottom bolt threads question?  (Read 1444 times)

Offline Laverdaroo

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Rear Damper bottom bolt threads question?
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2022, 01:34:40 PM »
Then get some kit together and catalogue it all up ready, nothing like a bit of progress, even if it is progress to start is always a lifter and good mind excersize mate. Dont bin it yet, you've done so much. ???
Mornings are the invention of the devil!

1977 CB550F (current money pit!!)
2002 VFR800 VTEC (The Beloved)
1977 CB400F (the last money pit!)
1998 Ducati 748\853 conversion(sold :()
1980 ish CB750KZ in a billion bits (need to get rid, anybody want one?))

Offline deltarider

• SOHC Master
  • My kingdom for a turkey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2022, 02:50:31 PM »
Oh, exactly how many years have you owned that bike and how many miles/km?
Dunno if that question was directed at me. I own my bike since 1980 and it has done over 139.000 km now.

Online Sesman

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2022, 02:53:52 PM »
Sure was….wow, 1980 and 139k miles. That’s impressive. Any major mishaps along the way?

Offline deltarider

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2022, 04:02:26 PM »
The camchain tensioner is the only part I really hate. It has already been replaced twice. Chain and tensioner will live for 40.000-50.000 km. The original primary chain is still OK. I have volunteered to see how long it will last. In all these years the bike has proved ultra reliable. Regular use is the best. I have knowledge of someone who was interviewed in an article. At that moment he had done 220.000km using his CB500K1 for daily commuting and his engine had not yet been opened. Plugcaps can cause problems due to their position, especially in the wet. Always start there when you have a problem.
 y model, the CB500K2-ED, aka CB500K2 GENERAL EXPORT was the last of the oldstyle CB500s. Assembled in 1976, it shares many parts with the CB550K2. If you study the parts list, you will see some parts underwent modification: gearbox (minor though), clutch adjuster, frontlegs, swingarm etc. Bike has done almost 140.000km. So far I didn't have to replace any fork seals, probably thanks to the harmonica rubbers. I've renewed the damper oil no more than 4 times max. I see no reason why you would do it more frequently. Clutch adjuster greased no more than two times, swing arm maybe 4 times, that is if I did manage to press it in >:(. If I didn't, it's been less ;). Still no sign of wear. I have 4 new rubber boots (carb-head) ready in their packages, but I have no indication the originals leak. I change the oil every 3000-5000km* or every two years, which ever comes first. I don't do short rides. Oilfilter every second oilchange. Oil is not specified as JASO-MA. Actually, it's right on the edge. Never had the clutch slip. Clutch springs and friction plates were at the end of their lifespan at 75.000km and were replaced by genuine Honda parts. Most disappointing part however has been the camchain and its adjuster. I never seem able to do more than 50k with it. Costly! Primary chain has play, but I see no reason to replace. I know of someone who's bike at 220.000 km still had the original chain in. Front wheel bearings are still original, those in the rear have been renewed. Also I needed to replace the drive flange for a good second hand one. This because of the use of a socalled steamwasher which had removed essential grease. Don't use pressurized water! Splines of the kick arm shaft are worn. I think I've found the root cause and hope to publish on this soon.
Although the original rear shocks (5-stage on this model like the CB550K2) were not as bad as many say, I've replaced them nonetheless @ 50.000 by Dutch quality Koni's. They still serve well.
This is how it looks today. http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,190773.msg2219705.html#msg2219705

Offline Johnny4428

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2022, 05:12:48 PM »
Very interesting assessment of a good old workhorse. These stats are impressive, just goes to prove that these bikes need to be used regularly rather than being tucked up in a shed. As mine is.😃
1952 Cymoto on Triumph bicycle.
1961 Matchless G3
1974 Honda CB550K1. Running resto,
1978 Honda CB550K3.
1999 ST1100 Pan European 50th Anniversary.
1975,1980,1984,1986 Honda C90’s
1973 Honda CB750K3

Offline deltarider

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2022, 08:46:55 PM »
9 of ten issues I have had to address, were caused by standing still and not by riding...

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2022, 09:57:44 AM »
I maybe a nut where it concerns bolts, but on disassembly decades ago there must have been something wrong with the original bolts as it's not my habit to bin parts that can be reused. On the contrary: I've made it a sport to reuse as much original parts as possible. To give you an idea: it was not before this last summer, after 46 years and numerous, numerous adjustments, that I've renewed the 8mm lock nuts of the drive chain adjusters when they finally had become all too round.
Clearly I have made the wrong decision to use ordinary bolts which I happened to have at hand.
Why adding a nut would be 'asking for trouble' is not clear to me.

Adding a nut shouldn't give a problem really as it's not really under load at all, just stopping the bolt falling out.

The joint is a double shear/clevis and in simplest form just needs a pin to go through it in handling the loads it has to take, same as a chain really.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

You can see the principle load site (illustrated displaced/broken) in picture that the joint has to withstand.

In most shocks though it's been adapted with a shouldered bolt to take load one side, while using the thread on other side. Production/access/assembly reality has given this interpretation that works fine.

The only potential problem if the threads are broken in the koni shock body is if that load capability is now different from the other side which may cause the shock to lean over under load and cause a problem with alignment. If there's no movement in that worn thread area it's not going to give a problem.

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2022, 11:57:55 AM »
A bit miffed today my order of quite a few nuts & bolts have arrived and the ones for the damper bottoms - thread is too fine (1.25) - I'm guessing a coarser bolt has been used in the past.

I could not find the old bolts before I ordered them from Middletons - good stock though for when I fit new dampers.

For now the old units are cleaning up well - judging by the action the dampers only act one way - upwards reistance - none downwards.
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,151576.msg1731556.html#msg1731556

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2022, 01:32:05 PM »
The odd thing is if you bought a set of Koni dampers in the 70-80s the bottom bolt was fully threaded like a set bolt. Still got a set now and they are exactly like that still so it must work.

Mmm must get those out and polish them up, not using them as I'm fitting Marzocchi Strada Piggybacks.
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Offline Laverdaroo

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2022, 01:35:19 PM »
Show off! ;) :D

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2022, 01:39:25 PM »
Yeah, satin black body with chrome springs is the plan, newly hard chromed damper rods, new seals and bellows and new stickers to complete the look. Didn't think the original red with black springs would suit a gold bike.
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Offline Laverdaroo

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2022, 02:07:11 PM »
I never liked the Koni Red  colour, Satin Black with the chrome accenta will look great Ken. Looking forward to seing them. Iwill reply to your PM, out at tthe in in a que and it bleeped so thought I'd reply................I'll take a look later.

Let us know when you manage to get tp the post office then I can have a word with the posty and ask him to hide them for me down by the workshop, he'll stash stuff for me in diferent locations if I'm not in. He just lets the dog know ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal