Author Topic: Lower fork legs - restoring the alluminium look.  (Read 613 times)

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Lower fork legs - restoring the alluminium look.
« on: December 15, 2022, 12:13:52 PM »
I've just started to clean up one of the fork legs prior to re-assembly - I started off with some basic polishing to remove the heavier oxidation on the inside of the legs using my little nylon/plasic polishing mops & various wheels, After a couple of half hour sessions I'm thinking I will paint it instead.

Just need to decide a colour (not Nut Brown) probably go for a mid grey coloured silver  - I'm open to ideas not looking for original - I've decided polishing is too much effort & needs too much maintainance.
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline Sesman

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: Lower fork legs - restoring the alluminium look.
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2022, 12:45:47 PM »
Hi, Ted. I came to a similar conclusion and opted for a bright silver satin solution similar to the finish on 80s models. It looks ok, though it may pay to persevere with the polishing lark. See what you think.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2022, 12:56:04 PM by Sesman »

Offline Orcade-Ian

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • Older Vehicle Web
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2022, 01:15:53 PM »
Ted,
Whilst I fully agree that polishing perhaps involves too much effort, although I think the rewards are worth it, I strongly disagree that it needs too much maintenance.  I restored my 350/4 back in 2002 and polished the legs, side covers and other aluminium alloy parts - not to mirror finish, I will admit (they never were when new) No paint, no lacquer.  All I do is give them a quick wipe with Solvol, unless I was intending going out in prolonged poor weather, when I wipe them over with ACF50 and clean it off afterwards.  For 17 years I have lived in Orkney!

This is the bike last September

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Ian

Offline Sesman

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2022, 02:01:00 PM »
I agree. As as I suggested I think it’s worth persevering with the polishing. Personally I’d go for satin polish rather than a mirror job….just a personal preference. I’ll probably do that if and when the paint falls off.

Offline Johnny4428

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2022, 02:38:07 PM »
I agree with the guys here regarding a bit of biffing. You will achieve quite a nice Finnish with a fine scotchbrite wheel. And as Ian said once an year clean up with Some metal polish. Just saves on chipped paint which will eventually happen.
1952 Cymoto on Triumph bicycle.
1961 Matchless G3
1974 Honda CB550K1. Running resto,
1978 Honda CB550K3.
1999 ST1100 Pan European 50th Anniversary.
1975,1980,1984,1986 Honda C90’s
1973 Honda CB750K3

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2022, 04:20:48 PM »
Saying that Johnny, I had some mirror polished fork sliders on my 1300, very hard to do as the surface was dimpled as standard and all that had to be sanded off. They were really nice but I liked the satin black look better for the 1300 so I sold them for a healthy profit. I got a spare set of sliders powder coated in satin black (after de-dimpling them) and they've not chipped at all and they've been on there for a good few years now. I'd either get them powder coated silver or polished them, paint will chip far to easily IMO especially where they are located.
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2022, 04:37:04 PM »
I agree. As as I suggested I think it’s worth persevering with the polishing. Personally I’d go for satin polish rather than a mirror job….just a personal preference. I’ll probably do that if and when the paint falls off.

A bit of a shortcut but I used some 2000 Grit Wet & Dry to try to speed up the polishing.
If I used it wet the finish was a drab finish - if I used it dry it was almost shiney.

Offline Johnny4428

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2022, 05:26:56 PM »
Ken, I of course bow to your superior knowledge as far as polishing finishing goes. Absolutely powder coating, never thought of that. I achieved a satisfactory Finnish by my standards, but I think you would have been asking for a refund. 🤣🤣

1952 Cymoto on Triumph bicycle.
1961 Matchless G3
1974 Honda CB550K1. Running resto,
1978 Honda CB550K3.
1999 ST1100 Pan European 50th Anniversary.
1975,1980,1984,1986 Honda C90’s
1973 Honda CB750K3

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2022, 05:54:19 PM »
If you're happy Johnny that's all that matters. Funny that the satin black hasn't chipped at all but the silver that Honda put on over the dimples was pitted/chipped to hell, just shows the standard of what they call paint these days.

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2022, 05:55:22 PM »
I thought of powder coating as I had it on my 400 hubs - the chrome type finish by CWC was very good.

Just not sure I want to spend what it might cost & wait for it to be done - that will put me into next year before I can rebuild the front suspension.

Below is where I am today  the photos are both flatering tbh but as the total time invested in one leg is under 90 minutes it might be worth some more work.

Not fussed about some of the scuff marks I see it as acceptable patina on a 50 year old bike.

fork legs by Macabe Thiele, on Flickr

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2022, 05:57:17 PM »
You wanna wait till new year you can send them to me Ted and I'll do them for you. FOC. My contribution to your build.

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2022, 06:38:06 PM »
A very kind offer Ken - I might take you up on it if another hour on them does not yield the results I would like.
I've not used my 750 W buffing wheel yet for want of a stand and a warm place to work in.

I'm looking to change my garage office into a sort of work space but it means parting with my lovely Jewel Gold Anodised 4 ft aquarium that I bought new in 1979 -.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal