Other Stuff > Misc / Open

It could only happen to us Boiler has shut down E110 I think

<< < (14/16) > >>

Nurse Julie:
Hey Mick, long time no see on here. Have you had any of your bikes out recently?

Green1:
Been crazy busy and still a bad back but managed to use the guzzi at lest once a week at the moment

K2-K6:
If you are thinking Ted of fully electric, there's some scope there although evaluation for your own preference and situation would be needed.

I grew up in 50s origin house, originally specified with solid fuel boiler in kitchen for hot water only, open fireplace in lounge and no other heating. Frost inside windows on North side in winter with lovely patterns too  :) that was my sister's bedroom  ;D

Very early 70s removed boiler and installed night storage heating, located off gas mains and so no option there to use anything else, hence choice.

Some consideration as they are not immediately responsive like a wet system,  with separate meter for variable tariff a part of the "modernisation" being promoted then .... the all electric age a ?  :)

Anyway, remember family conversation of parents and uncles etc as some had gas, baxi etc and memorable for our system having effectively, absolutely NIL maintenance and cost, attendant down time etc. Had large tank in airing cupboard, located centre of house with very low heat loss, heated with emersion also on night tariff, but with supplementary switching to demand IF ever needed to add heat during day for odd eventuality.
Remember the immersion being replaced a couple of times over about a 30 year time period, I eventuality swapped to new tank in early 2000s for my parents, stripped out old galv pipes for hot and  old distribution to Bath and kitchen.

You can get water electrical solutions for wet heating now https://www.tradeplumbing.co.uk/electric-boiler-heating-6kw-20400-btu-potterton-gold-94022004.html perhaps a consideration for your circumstances.

Electricity tariff available seems far more adaptive now with systems and suppliers facilitating E car charge through off peak demand smoothing giving advantages in energy cost.
Not as cheap as gas, but offset against gas maintenance, insurance and reliability etc, there's some potential balance to be had.

McCabe-Thiele (Ted):
Odly enough the mention of Immersion Heaters (IH)- when we moved into our current home in 1984 the IH was replaced when we had a new hot water tank as needed for fully pumped CH.
The new IH failed after 18 months with the next two failing after only 15 months. All top fitted long heaters, they all failed at the bottom tip of the element where it curves back. 4 IH's lasting about 5 years. Just fitted a shorter unit now in year 3.👍

PS We live in a relatively soft water area.

Seabeowner:
I had the same growing up experience as K2-K6. Frost on widows, burst water pipes and cold lino. As I said we had storage heaters in 1970. Never had an issue with any (except a problem with a fan that one had) in the 37 years until he died.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version