Author Topic: Valuable lessons to our minors  (Read 2522 times)

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Valuable lessons to our minors
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2022, 07:56:59 PM »
Now if that you tube vid had been an Austin 1100 there would have been at least 6 1/2 AF sockets down the back of the heater

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2022, 08:09:34 PM »
Ah so you use a 1/4 drive 12mm socket then adapters to fit the Torque wrench. My 1/4 drive Teng socket set has no 12mm socket it goes from 11 to 13 IIRC not missing just not in the set!
It was a cheap set now some 25 years plus old.

Worthwhile investment Ted, and one of the best value, toughest little socket sets money can buy. Bahco SL25

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Only about 20 sheets guv on the Amazon etc.

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2022, 08:19:31 PM »
Forgot to add, up to 13mm with no gap/size missing.

Absolutely ideal for working on small projects like these bikes. Has slight barrel on extension to give gently misaligned approach if needed, plus positive lock for socket on ratchet so they don't fall off when using. Just everything they should be really.

Whole case footprint is about the size of a £20 note too, there's no surplus there at all just tool goodness  ;D

Online Moorey

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2022, 08:32:40 PM »
Ah so you use a 1/4 drive 12mm socket then adapters to fit the Torque wrench. My 1/4 drive Teng socket set has no 12mm socket it goes from 11 to 13 IIRC not missing just not in the set!
It was a cheap set now some 25 years plus old.

Worthwhile investment Ted, and one of the best value, toughest little socket sets money can buy. Bahco SL25

[attachimg=

Only about 20 sheets guv on the Amazon etc.

Well worth the money I have had one for quite a while now and to be fair it's taken more than it's share of abuse.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2022, 08:40:14 PM by Moorey »

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2022, 08:42:27 PM »
Just bought one only cost me £11.00 as a friend gave me an Amazon voucher for Christmas.

Thanks for the pointer.
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2022, 10:15:40 PM »
Wondering if it'll arrive with the 10mm missing Ted  ;D as origintor of thread.

That is funny Laverdaroo, even worked on my teenager  :) most of my missing tools I seem to find in his domain now.

Offline ka-ja

• ken
  • SOHC Pro
  • yoshi 460
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2022, 10:37:45 AM »
Old age and cunning overcomes youth and enthusiasm every time!
nice bike,nothing in the bank

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2022, 10:43:59 AM »
Troublewith theold age is you cant remember what you did to who!

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2023, 10:12:52 AM »
Have you got it yet Ted ?

Using mine today, realising why it's so convenient.  You can open the lid or unclip it completely and turn it upside down with nothing falling out at all. In comparison to others when all the little bits are scattered far and wide.

My son has a Halfords Advanced 40 pcs 1/4 drive set, tools are really good and with largest socket 14mm it covers more ground, but collecting all the bits if it's upended  ::) a too often pain especially if you're working on a car engine bay with one of those undertray bolted to it  ;D ;D how I know that may be obvious  :-[ with it's accompanying "clinky" symphony as all the little pieces cascade down through the nooks and crannies, possibly better if using a tray tool box as you can leave it in there with lid off, which fell off anyway as it's fairly brittle plastic hinge broke easily.

Both sets have proper tool steel hex bits that aren't chromed, as they should be this way for good application, but will be affected by rust if left/stored damp.

Son supplimented this with Bahco 3/8 set, arrived with fault on ratchet that would jam but replaced immediately from supplier without question and not required to return first set.
Tagged along with son to a tool fair recently, looking at Bahco stand and chatting to rep, asked about the 3/8 set and he told me they'd produced a batch of faulty ratchet that had  gone to distributor unknown and so they contained it by just replacing no question asked as it was very specific. 
Bahco have been owned by snap-on since 1999 too, they seem intent on protecting brand value by offering assured quality and backup.

Their plain Allen keys are really good too with good tolerancing and nil wear in hard use. I had a long serving sykes pickavent set that's a very old but brilliant set (unfortunately lost one on RC car field operations support crew  :)  ) with these a match for those material wise.

All in, their tools are very good and generally good in value too.

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2023, 11:05:52 AM »
The tool set arrived last week - I could not believe you could get so much into such a small box.

My first observation was - will it go rusty as it's not exactly a highly chromed finish. Not used it yet - the machining finish looks pretty good for the price.

My 3/8" set is also around 30 years old a Kamaza bought from Donnington market - I think the firm had gone ceased trading  so it was cheap. Only failure has been the much abused ratchet that was replaced
« Last Edit: January 08, 2023, 11:34:36 AM by McCabe-Thiele (Ted) »

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2023, 12:21:06 PM »
That Kamasa brand made some really good tools, still one of my favourite and currently used combination ring/flat spanner set is Kamasa. They are just the right combination of angle, size, etc and tough as old boots. Some very minor flaking of chrome on a couple of flat jaws but all still very good fit to competently work with.

There were alot of those green boxes around markets some years ago I remember too Ted. Didn't realise until recently that they are Swedish and a contemporary manufacturer of Bahco. For years (pre internet) just thought they may have been a made up name.

Something unusual in application, but extremely helpful. I've some 1/2 drive Bahco impact sockets, six face (flat not flank drive) that are absolutely the best thing I've ever used to get brake line and brake bleed valves moving if they are stuck/corroded. Unusual in application as this is not necessarily the tool you'd reach for in this application, but they are very tight fit and tap-on if fitment is corroded, but absolutely the best sockets for preservation of existing hex drive to get them moving.
Those hard tube fitment into caliper that many cars and these old bikes use, if stuck and ultimately needing replacement meaning they can be cut to give access, are easily done with these sockets.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2023, 12:23:54 PM »
Been using Bahco adjustables since 1969 and you cant get better.
Kamasa were very good quality and i have a 3/8 set, had to replace ratchet after 12yrs of abuse.
Britool was always my favourite buy and i was told once that they made Halfords own brand but no idea if that was true

Offline Johnny4428

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2023, 12:48:55 PM »
Interesting views/reviews on tools here, can’t fault Halfords advanced that’s mostly what I use socket and spanner wise.
1952 Cymoto on Triumph bicycle.
1961 Matchless G3
1974 Honda CB550K1. Running resto,
1978 Honda CB550K3.
1999 ST1100 Pan European 50th Anniversary.
1975,1980,1984,1986 Honda C90’s
1973 Honda CB750K3

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2023, 07:50:53 PM »
All my big metric spanners ring/open ended are Halfords they seem well made for the money.

Offline Rozabikes Tim

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2023, 08:06:30 PM »
Kamasa I knew were good tools. Not mine, as they were from a dodgy market stall. In my innoscence etc..
One day I'll have the time to restore it, not just talk and dream....

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal