Author Topic: A great interview of Henry Cole on U Tube by Steve Parrish.  (Read 1714 times)

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: A great interview of Henry Cole on U Tube by Steve Parrish.
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2023, 02:33:41 PM »
There is one thing about the show that always makes me wonder. And that's how the hell do they do the shots of him on the bikes, the panorama shots, if it's a drone it's bloody close to him and you should be able to see a shadow of it in some of the shots, it's not on a stalk off his body or his helmet. I have no idea how they do that but it does impress me.
Graham asks the same question every time as well. On one shot, we saw a stalk coming up from the handlebar with what looks like a small eyeball camera on top. On the next shot, it's not there. I recon they take multiple films and chop out the bits where the bar mounted camera is really visible.

The "camera" is comprised of two fisheye/180 degree lenses back to back with both having image chip each, sticthed together as a file format that would be like you standing in the centre of a sphere, anywhere you look there's recorded image. Editing just takes a slice of screen sized image and lets the viewer see that portion (as stated it's really annoying to see them swinging it around on screen) with the support stick logged for it's position in camera software, then it can just be deleted from finsl cutting.

But notice any shadow of the installation on road etc and the stick is still there, unedited, for you to see. Software not that clever yet  :)

It all means that they can record with one camera then just choose what they want to show you, rather than rigging with multiple conventional go-pro  cameras.

Offline mickwinf

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2023, 04:34:26 PM »
I like Henry, you have to remember its for entertainment so not always serious, and how much other bike related stuff is on tv?
Love the 500 and 550 have a 500 called Lazarus under restoration

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2023, 04:43:36 PM »
I like Henry, you have to remember its for entertainment so not always serious, and how much other bike related stuff is on tv?

I have grown to like him more after reading his book & viewing  some of his range of programmes - like most actors on TV he is a charactature of the real person playing a part for enterrtainment.

At least he has not gone down the Trout Pout route that many women seem to have gone for to get screen time.
What's the worst people could emulate about Henry his 1960's long hair, beard or a taste of Biking?
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2023, 05:05:08 PM »
What annoys me most about him is his insincerity, raves about stuff he's clearly too young to have ridden, some of the stuff he says is brilliant I haven't even heard of. There was one where he's riding around Dover and the South coast, stops at this museum where they have the biggest range of some old bike make I've never heard of, raves about them but to me they look bloody awful, ok if you like manually advancing the timing etc I suppose but they look uncomfortable and more trouble than they are worth. I can admire old bikes without going over the top, they are what they are, everyone in his eyes is the best thing since sliced bread.

His road tests are frankly bloody poor, never really criticises anything, just in case they don't offer him another, if it handles bad, say so, if the engines poor, say so. Bikers rely on good reviews to avoid wasting money on a bike they then find is not what it says on the tin.

In short Henry, be more honest, be more of a biker, if it's a bag of nails say so, stop the clowning about, stop grinning at the camera inanely, stop trying to be funny. The show would be miles better if Alan Millyard presented it and rode the bikes.

Glad to know the mystery of the camera shots, never even occurred to me that, not a technophobe.
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal