Author Topic: Cables / sheath lube  (Read 1714 times)

Offline Johnny4428

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: Cables / sheath lube
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2023, 09:22:05 AM »
If the (Scottish) Unions hadn’t disrupted the Imp’s production as much as they did, the car could have been better than the mini - so various clips of YouTube suggest. I owe it a lot, especially after hundreds of hours spannering, and hundred more sanding, filling and painting. Happy days.

Thanks Nige for the PTFE outer idea, I’ve been on eBay and securing lengths >2m seems to be the issue, though I have found a 5m run from China (prob infers a ‘no’ that). Q - is this material hard, ie will it resist the odd light knock and NOT deform around light radiuses? I saw a hardness factor of 55, but tbh have no inkling of what that means practically.

Just think Lobo could have had a BMW Imp now 🤣🤣
1952 Cymoto on Triumph bicycle.
1961 Matchless G3
1974 Honda CB550K1. Running resto,
1978 Honda CB550K3.
1999 ST1100 Pan European 50th Anniversary.
1975,1980,1984,1986 Honda C90’s
1973 Honda CB750K3

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2023, 09:46:43 AM »
Ptfe tube, I was looking at this supply (although uk) https://www.amazon.co.uk/BZ-3D-Transparent-Filament-Extruder/dp/B07YBX7GJN/ref=sr_1_3_sspa?keywords=ptfe+tube&qid=1673301148&sr=8-3-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&psc=1tgat had 3mtr as listed that may reach.

You can more easily get PU or nylon in larger bore to sheath the ptfe and give measure of protection from outer abrasion, kinking etc and provide an overall solution.

These type of materials are frequently used in pneumatics etc and so may be supply route. We used them in factory environments for air driven machinery, virtually all barrell (metal screwed pipe) disappeared from those systems apart from main distribution from compressors. The small bore has to be run with some radius to avoid kinking but generally the material is highly resistant to most vibration etc. The two together with ptfe internal should give good support from as it increases wall thickness significantly.

We also ran both rigid and flexible chemical system and I used double tubing like this to get under an outside building to building connection that required bunding for groundwater protection risk. I could run a couple of "umbilical" lines through a clear outer to offer containment with visual inspection from leaking primary to arrange attention if required.
More to show the thinking process around using things like this for solution.

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2023, 10:43:56 AM »

Trivia, once working for a company completing warranty work at houses, knocked on a door and William Woolard opened it  :)

Also the Sweeny, John Thaw at another. Not on the same day you'll understand, that would be freaky  ;D

Not name dropping - when I worked at Mercedes-Benz of Derby we had a used LWB S600 (V12) in the showroom - it was sold by an American Salesman over the phone to a customer in a hamlet near Surrey.

As two Lexus Saloons (both very old ones) were traded in part exchange I drove to Surrey with the salesman to deliver the Merc so we could bring back the two Lexus Saloons, The address was a cottage name down a country lane in the middle of nowhere. No phone signal fo ring the customer so after a while we pulled up outside this isolated pub in the afternoon.

I went into the pub & asked the Landlord if he knew the address we were looking for - he said he had never heard of it. We had to drive back up the lane for almost 2 miles to get a phone signal - we rang the customers landline number telling him we could not find his address - he said its at the back of the pub on the other side of the 20 ft Leylandai trees.

We drove back to the pub & spotted  a well hidden gravel path to one side - as we drove onto the Cottage frontage out came Bob Mortimer to greet us!

Bob Morimer  told us the Landlord was just trying to protect his privacy. He was nothing like his TV persona at the time (Shooting Stars) he was more like the Gone Fishing version - he was a pleasant normal person with no vissible sense of humour.
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2023, 01:05:50 PM »
Thanks Nige for the further infos. In the last few hours I’ve found a 7mm OD Bowden sheath, nylon lined (25’) which I’ve ordered at a doable £25. It’ll provide the protection I want give the exposed run below the cabin / through the x-beams.

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2023, 04:25:46 PM »
Thanks Nige for the further infos. In the last few hours I’ve found a 7mm OD Bowden sheath, nylon lined (25’) which I’ve ordered at a doable £25. It’ll provide the protection I want give the exposed run below the cabin / through the x-beams.

On your way to a solution then at least. Generally examples with handbrake cables fully covered for entire length I find don't give a problem over many years. You'd expect something similar in dirt exclusion and free movement in this as a sensible mod too.

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2023, 04:31:24 PM »
Looks a very tidy VW don't forget to tell us when its done we like to hear of successful outcomes.

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2023, 04:39:36 PM »
I like coincidental story like this Ted. My son has been watching back copies of him and Paul Whitehouse on their fishing program, no interest in fishing but likes the humour.

It's funny meeting someone famous as you've nothing in common and they (if in showbis) are not the character you see in their professional life.

Mrs K is embarrassed at me telling people I know Mick Jagger, based on him walking the other way on Wimbledon common once when the tennis was on. I looked at him thinking "that looks like" mj, then "ooh it is mj" realising be doesn't know me from Adam, but recognition that we both now know it's Mick Jagger, and we have nothing in common, eye contact made and slight nod of recognition from me, and him, we walked past.
It must be odd walking around being that well known and dealing with that. Strange life I supose when out in public.
Mrs K's embarrassment is only usurped by her being a stickler for detail as she always publicly corrects me, which is why I say it in the  first place  ;D

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2023, 05:23:20 PM »
A fella (Tony Hooper) my wife worked with at Hazelwood Foods in Derby  turned down an offer to manage the Rolling Stones back in the early 1960's he went on to have a great career as a Sale Manager in the foods industry.

Ironically his son dated one of the Bananarama singers - tragically he died in a field in Wales whilst working as a Shepherd of adult sudden death syndrome when he was 21 with his Sheep Dog found by his side. The death was initially treated as suspicious as he was so young.

I believe the Bananarama singer named her son after him many years later. Sadly Tony died a couple of years ago he hailed from the Bristol area.

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2023, 09:38:02 PM »
Quote: Mrs K's embarrassment is only usurped by her being a stickler for detail as she always publicly corrects me.

Good god, are our missuses related???

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2023, 10:44:40 PM »
Quote: Mrs K's embarrassment is only usurped by her being a stickler for detail as she always publicly corrects me.

Good god, are our missuses related???
  ;D ;D ;D

Mrs K's mum was a school head too, and well practiced in telling people off. I think she was well trained also strictly risk averse, I even get tutted for crossing the road "freestyle" in London as she will always go to an appropriate crossing point   :D A character of quite considerable habit to which I have to give prior warning of deviation if I'm not to get into trouble. And if she wasn't listening, I get the blame fir not informing of said deviation anyway.

I've a miss K too, 17 going on 30 when it comes to telling me what I should be doing, which I'm very resistant to. More of a rebel though and loves going on the bike with me.

Son, 20 and more amenable, plus interest in all things mechanical etc and studying design at a London University, gives me an easier time.
My list of things not done keeps me busy though  ;D  Ahem, Mrs K's list in reality  ;D

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2023, 11:49:59 PM »
I married a nurse. I feel your pain! 😂

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2023, 07:25:06 AM »
I married a teacher

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2023, 11:50:12 AM »
I married a bitch
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Offline Laverdaroo

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2023, 12:45:59 PM »
I didn’t marry anyone…….whoop!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mornings are the invention of the devil!

1977 CB550F (current money pit!!)
2002 VFR800 VTEC (The Beloved)
1977 CB400F (the last money pit!)
1998 Ducati 748\853 conversion(sold :()
1980 ish CB750KZ in a billion bits (need to get rid, anybody want one?))

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2023, 03:16:19 PM »
I married a woman 24 years younger than me, he says hands shaking

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal