Other Stuff > Interchangeability

Rear Lamp needed sought with mounting holes 100mm wide at centre line?

<< < (8/8)

Oddjob:
You could try this Ted, do it on an offcut first though, just to practice.

I've read that if you use heat, maybe a hot air gun or a blow torch at a pinch and gently run it over the edge of the piece where it's been cut it will smooth off all the marks and go glossy. Might just make it look nicer. As I said, try on an offcut first as you may need to practice on amount of heat and distance to hold the heat source from the acrylic.

McCabe-Thiele (Ted):
Interesting I did buff it very lightly was going to try some paint on an off cut - worried about solvent effect. I'll try the hair dryer before I resort to my paint stripper gun.

McCabe-Thiele (Ted):
Tested the light and I'm happy with it - tried gas flame on an offcut no effect until it starts to catch fire. Buffing wheel certainly makes it start to shine but due to my jig saw cutting it just highlights the marks - not going to spend hours buffing only to find it's worn away too much material. Tried some black gloss cellulose paint - one layer improved the look second layer even better so will probably  just brush the edges in.

Oddjob:
There is a name for the method of glazing the edges Ted, I looked it up when I was doing the led mods I mentioned, I think the theory went that it’s the fine point between the acrylic melting and catching fire, maybe a heat source not using a flame would be better, I do seem to recall them mentioning using a fine flame though. Maybe it’s a practice thing, you need to do a few of them in order to find the optimum heat and distance.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version