Author Topic: Fitting a new wiring loom  (Read 1305 times)

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Fitting a new wiring loom
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2023, 09:05:50 PM »
That looks to be the wrong wiring diagram, there doesn't seem to be any connections for the lighting on the right hand switch, just stop/run and starter button. Check the wiring coming from the right hand switch, there should be a brown/white, make sure that's connected to the brown/white on the loom as that's the side light wiring.

The wire you think you need looks to be the one way solenoid for the starter circuit so it works when the bikes in gear and the clutch is pulled in.
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Offline TrickyMicky

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2023, 09:31:27 AM »
I'm not that brilliant with electrics, but the wiring diagram pic. you have used shows a twin filament bulb for the direction indicators. This was a requirement for the North American market which also meant that there was no light switch, the lights being operational all the time the engine was running.

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2023, 09:43:15 AM »
The handlebar switchgear is the same as used on the cb550f and the cb550k3 iirc, try using that wiring diagram as a start but fairly sure you’ve missed connecting the brown/white wire in the box near the coils.
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Online McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2023, 09:57:46 AM »
Below is the coloured wiring diagram I used for my UK bike - sorry not sure which wires are a different colour on the DS loom but others here will know. Pretty sure I downloaded it from Aladdin's Cave here.

IIRC I printed the document off so it was a full A4 sheet so easier to follow the wiring diagram - my clutch switch was missing so was able to fit one using this diagram - as my left hand bar switch did not have the headlamp flasher only the horn wiring differed it was as per the US wiring for the horn.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2023, 10:13:30 AM by McCabe-Thiele (Ted) »
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline Multiman

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2023, 01:29:12 PM »
Big thank you for all the input.
The wiring diagram I was using is out of the 350/400 workshop manual but as you say has some obvious discrepancies, but as it was in the book I thought the rest of it would be accurate.
Anyway the colour diagram Ted has attached is so much is so easier to follow and presumably correct!

To cut a long story short the fuse was intermittent, I've never known a fuse to partially work, 40ohms. So when when tested continuity was there until a load was put on it.
The simplest things etc etc.
Ted was there all along.

Many thanks for putting up with my rambling and I. now understand a lot more about the lighting circuits!

Cheers

Tim

Online McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2023, 03:16:30 PM »
I suspect old fuses can cause all sorts of issues especially glass ones - on the old merc W124's that were fitted with the small pot type fuses with a metal overlay the fuse holders would wear a round hole in the metal contact point. The fuse would work under light loads and stop under wiper load - in the fuse box they would look perfect - only on removing them did you find the fault.
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline SeanFD

• SOHC Member
  • "Still running against the wind"
    • View Profile
    • Belfast-2-Belfast-By-Bike
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2023, 09:36:09 AM »
Another question.

The new wiring loom has a plastic "sock" for the rear connectors to the brake light and indicators.
Is this "sock" supposed to locate up through the rear frame above the rear mudguard? Anyone got a picture?

My old loom didn't have one.

Many thanks

Here's a pic that might help
CB750 K2 - Ridden from Belfast(SA)-2-Belfast(NI)!
CB750 K1 - The less, said the better!
CB450 K1 - A work in progress.
CB400F Supersport - Rusty - not any more!

Offline Multiman

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2023, 10:31:46 PM »
Cheers for that
Confirms what I ended up doing
Many thanks

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal