Author Topic: 750 points needed 1-4 & 2-3  (Read 2631 times)

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: 750 points needed 1-4 & 2-3
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2023, 03:27:28 PM »
It just seemed to read that way Graham, put the plate in the middle of its adjustment and then use the point gap to time it up is how I read it

Any mention of a atrobe means timing to me, dwell meter would mean gap

Maybe you should pop around and show me how to set up points. Maybe my strobe light is no good. You could advise me on if i need a Hondaman box of tricks or that i need to change to electronic ignition. while you are here you could advise me on how to rebore cylinder's, insert valve guides, change valve seats, re grind valve seats to the correct spec, skim heads, alloy weld cases and do fin repairs and so on.

I would love someone to be able come and show me how to set the points and timing properly. But if there's a good tutorial (vid or other) somewhere that can be recommended in all ears!

P.s Hackaweek was my original YouTube tutor so I used his technique

Are you close to Roo? I don't mean do you love him but are you close in locale  :D

I've got to send Roo some stuff for his bike shortly so I could send a set of point screws down to him and you could pick it up from him or would you prefer them sent direct? You want just the 6 points screws? 4 for points, 2 for condensers or would you like the 3 outer plate screws as well?

Oh forgot to add, if you need a brand new points cover let me know, I have quite a few of them.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2023, 03:32:30 PM by Oddjob »
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2023, 04:39:06 PM »
If it runs enough to get to Gloucester, bring it up on an arranged weekend, i have points of various makers and cap screws to suit

Offline Bristolbadger

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2023, 05:20:12 PM »
It just seemed to read that way Graham, put the plate in the middle of its adjustment and then use the point gap to time it up is how I read it

Maybe you should pop around and show me how to set up points. Maybe my strobe light is no good. You could advise me on if i need a Hondaman box of tricks or that i need to change to electronic ignition. while you are here you could advise me on how to rebore cylinder's, insert valve guides, change valve seats, re grind valve seats to the correct spec, skim heads, alloy weld cases and do fin repairs and so on.

I would love someone to be able come and show me how to set the points and timing properly. But if there's a good tutorial (vid or other) somewhere that can be recommended in all ears!

Are you close to Roo? I don't mean do you love him but are you close in locale  :D

I've got to send Roo some stuff for his bike shortly so I could send a set of point screws down to him and you could pick it up from him or would you prefer them sent direct? You want just the 6 points screws? 4 for points, 2 for condensers or would you like the 3 outer plate screws as well?

Oh forgot to add, if you need a brand new points cover let me know, I have quite a few of them.
Yes please the full 9 screws would be amazing! Give them to Roo... he's my hero.. as are all of yous
Can pop a few quid over if you send me your deets too

Offline Bristolbadger

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2023, 05:21:28 PM »
If it runs enough to get to Gloucester, bring it up on an arranged weekend, i have points of various makers and cap screws to suit
Thanks Bryan I hope to do a run to the Oily Rag HQ up there, soon as it warms up a tad. I'll be in touch mate, many thanks

Offline Laverdaroo

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2023, 07:11:30 PM »
he does love me Ken, he knows it deep down! 8)
Mornings are the invention of the devil!

1977 CB550F (current money pit!!)
2002 VFR800 VTEC (The Beloved)
1977 CB400F (the last money pit!)
1998 Ducati 748\853 conversion(sold :()
1980 ish CB750KZ in a billion bits (need to get rid, anybody want one?))

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2023, 08:48:13 PM »
No money BB, someday you may be able to do me a favour.

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2023, 08:24:22 AM »

Is it the love that dare not speak its name Roo. Or it could be that all those wild oats you sowed have come back to haunt you Daddy 😁😁😁

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2023, 12:08:11 PM »

Is it the love that dare not speak its name Roo. Or it could be that all those wild oats you sowed have come back to haunt you Daddy 😁😁😁

I hope not Roo has intimated he will be true to me - after the Long Haired General naturally.
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline Bristolbadger

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2023, 05:42:22 PM »

Is it the love that dare not speak its name Roo. Or it could be that all those wild oats you sowed have come back to haunt you Daddy

I hope not Roo has intimated he will be true to me - after the Long Haired General naturally.
Love is such a loose word, I prefer psychological affliction!

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2023, 05:53:28 PM »
How about Oxytocin poisoning as an alternative.  8) 8) 8)

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2023, 09:12:21 AM »

I have been looking through a ton of youtube vids on setting points and most of them are well off. This seems to be a good guide but, there is quite a few cuts, like the plate seems to move on its own at 7.20. Hope it helps >>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3933ouJ1wrI&t=924s

Offline SPR

• SOHC Pro
  • 1972 500/4 K1
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2023, 12:07:49 PM »
I have been looking through a ton of youtube vids on setting points and most of them are well off. This seems to be a good guide but, there is quite a few cuts, like the plate seems to move on its own at 7.20. Hope it helps >>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3933ouJ1wrI&t=924s

Thanks Graham ...... Mine aren't perfectly set so will have a go using this

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2023, 12:20:17 PM »
Thanks Graham a very informative video.

Not a big criticism but I would not have used an adjustable spanner to rotate the crankshaft - the right sized spanner might be more appropriate.

« Last Edit: February 12, 2023, 12:23:34 PM by McCabe-Thiele (Ted) »

Offline Spitfire

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2023, 01:35:42 PM »
Good video, that's pretty much how I set them up except I use a battery and a bulb, here's my high tech gear.

Cheers

Dennis
1976 CB750F

1977 CB750F2 In bits

1964 BSA A65R In bits

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2023, 02:41:18 PM »
Thanks Graham a very informative video.

Not a big criticism but I would not have used an adjustable spanner to rotate the crankshaft - the right sized spanner might be more appropriate.

Also it is good practice to use a independent battery for a strobe light  ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal