SOHC.co.uk Forums > Anorak's Corner

Moulded N.L.A. Unobtanium Parts

<< < (3/3)

AshimotoK0:

--- Quote from: SumpMagnet on February 18, 2023, 11:30:32 AM ---Fascinating!!

Where do you get your PU rubber stuff from? I have been contemplating trying something similar for an unrelated application making tyres for an RC tank project ....

I can make the 3d printed mould quite easily. I assume the compound just gets poured into the lower mould, and the top clamped down, with some vent holes to let the excess out, and to pressurise the mould to get any air bubbles out. Would potentially also allow me to 3D print the wheels first...put hte wheels in the mould, and cast tyres around them to 'key' them in.

I tried making footrest rubbers once in a plaster mould. The stuff I had to mould with was horrid, and the results fit only for the bin. Never thought to 3D print a mould. Obvious when someone else does it......

--- End quote ---

Yes ... as you described exactly .. I brushed mould initially with silicone oil and then wiped most of it off.
Here is the PU .. they also do much larger quantities and different hardness's  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/255524412219

SumpMagnet:
 :) thanks for the link!

Will give some of this a go and see how I get on.

Seabeowner:
Look great. The 3d printing is no problem, but presumably I need a vac pump and maybe also a pressure vessel.

AshimotoK0:

--- Quote from: Seabeowner on February 20, 2023, 07:15:59 PM ---Look great. The 3d printing is no problem, but presumably I need a vac pump and maybe also a pressure vessel.

--- End quote ---

I have a vac pump etc but didn't need it .. if your pour carefully and mix the PU and then play a heat gun on the surface of the PU very quickly, any small bubbles expand and pop. Also the top cover of my mould acts as a piston to force the excess out of the top sprue holes (two sprue holes/piece) and the product looked  pretty bubble free. However, not so sure about large moulded pieces.... you may need to vacuum it.

Jan B:
Brilliant idea. Going to give it a try too. Thanks for sharing!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version