Author Topic: Do four, "LINERS" make a cruise company or what any honda owner shouldn't see  (Read 4722 times)

rigwit

Well, as you may know i mentioned on getting a spare motor to use as mock up---  well got it ok as seized water had got into every bore ,pistons 1 n 4 were at top 2n3 at bottom. lots of rust which was causing the seize..  got head off after having to chisel off the two nuts between cyls 2 n 3 and  out came the heat........  got block off so stripped everything off  pump gearbox crank etc etc. so thought i might see what condition barrels were in 3 were comming up good but one  was beyond redemption  so heated block up and heres the results.................
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 06:48:48 PM by rigwit »

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Interesting to see the liners out, I hadn't thought they'd come out with just a bit of heat, the rear brake drum liners are cast in and need machineing out to replace. I'll have to have a futher investigation as I think as I bet I have a set with knackered liners but good fins and another with good liners and chipped fins. There are a few dismantled engines awaiting my attention in the shed so it's good to know what's possible to swap and change to make the best looking / working motor.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

rigwit

have to be carefull with the heat gentle more than blow it away  and do one at a time  ie  no 1 first  no  2 next  etc etc  should come out with a nice soft tap from a 2x4   then grip flange with pliers  an pull gently out  once its almost out  it will feel if its jammed if so wiggle it with the pliers  and should come out no prob....... obviously wear the appropriate  guantlets  or good leather gloves  and dont touch the head or liners with bare hands till air cooled  dont use any water or other fluid to cool or youl booger everything up.....  have  fun  ;D

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Old electric oven, put block on spacers upside down and i think 350 lets them drop out, chill replacements and drop into warm block.

NOTE:-  you are supposed to have the top of the block milled after this AND rebore the liners to ensure concentricity and perpendicular to top surface.

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Or the oven in the kitchien when the wife isn't looking!. Looks like it's only worth doing if investing in a big bore kit given the ease with which good used barrels can be aquired
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

rigwit

Old electric oven, put block on spacers upside down and i think 350 lets them drop out, chill replacements and drop into warm block.

NOTE:-  you are supposed to have the top of the block milled after this AND rebore the liners to ensure concentricity and perpendicular to top surface.

With a flanged toped liner, as long as the liner and liner flange and alloy barrel and barrel seat are meticulously clean, there should be no need to bore or machine, Ive changed more liners bot wet and dry, flanged, pegged, stepped, screwed, and pressed, some so big it takes a hoist to install only the pressed ones have a need to be machined and dressed,  one thing i Would do if i was to say  get a set of liners made up for the mock motor for later use would be to cross hone it lightly and to check ring clearance. never had a seizure/rapid wear/total failure/blown gaskets/ etc but then Ive been mechanically minded since obtaining an nsu quickly at 7 and fixing it by myself then on to college for the finer things...

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Theory says yes you is right but originaly the liners are fitted then finish machinedso changing from one block to another can cause mis alignments even with stepped liners. done many a Bristol BVW twice

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Knowing Hondas they'll swap over because of the production line method of building, Britsh engineers from the likes of Bristol hand crafted each engine individually so swapping and changing is I understand a somewhat fraught expirience

rigwit

Try doing one of these  and yes the plates on crankcase do unbolt off you can stand up inside it............ its all the same realy just a matter of scale and a few inovative parts/way of doing things they also did a v16 but mainly marinised them 

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Thats a baby one, ever played with a doxford?

rigwit

Thats a baby one, ever played with a doxford?
No Doxford were mainly marinised, all biggys ive done were for generators................

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
You could call em marinised as they were built for ships! 115rpm flat out and BIG

rigwit

You could call em marinised as they were built for ships! 115rpm flat out and BIG
Doxford. copied the Rushton deisels of which the pic is, reved at 750rpm

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Didnt think the Rushton was opposed piston, but never actually laid a spanner on one so cant be 100%

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal