Author Topic: Goodbye old friend  (Read 2076 times)

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
Re: Goodbye old friend
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2023, 07:58:31 AM »
Yes I spotted it yesterday morning. I am quite surprised how much they are asking for it, and you always feel a bit cheated. But looking closely at the pictures they have done a lot of cosmetic work on the bike that I just couldn't be bothered with. Plus they have to give a warranty and pay for the inspection and collection. Just a shame they tried to say it was a fake Ackropovic and not carbon fibre and also tried to say the head gasket was going as there was a bit of oil mist cream on the oil filler cap. They are bandit's really, but when you can't be bothered tarting it up and dealing with the tyre kickers it was still worth it. I also got a lot better deal on the Trident with having no trade in, so what I lost on one I gained on the other.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

Offline Orcade-Ian

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • Older Vehicle Web
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2023, 09:54:44 AM »
Also snap Roy,
1500 SE GoldWing and BMW R100RT off to pastures new.  Had the Wing 20 years but only a year for the '2 wheeled grey Fergie'.  I got good money for both - Wing to a Dealer who stuck a big chunk on of course - BM was private via Car and Classic site.  It's easy to forget that the dealer has to stand a warranty and pay tax on any profit made and possibly have it some time, maybe even have to drop a bit too.  Then there's the premises and free coffee etc.  Ali Baba and the 40 motorcycle dealers!  Just saying......

Ian

Offline flatfour

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2023, 04:50:51 PM »
I sold my Kawasaki Versys 1000 to The Superbike Factory a few years ago. The local dealer was not buying stock (September) due to the approaching winter, and his Sales Manager recommended them. At the time, I needed to find a bike with lower pillion footrests, as a hip operation meant that my wife (who is quite small) could not climb on board the Versys.

I was issued an offer over the 'phone and they collected it at the stated time and transferred the offer price to my bank whilst their driver was looking the bike over in my garage. They put it up for sale next day, and sold it immediately at, I think £1000 more than I was paid. I thought that this was fair (the bike was showroom fresh, with some 14,000 miles on it and I was the only owner) because they collected it and, as pointed out needed to put a warranty on the bike etc.

The offer price was MUCH better than the competition and fitted the dealership estimate of its worth as a straight sale, so I was pleased and would certainly be happy to use them again.

Online Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2023, 05:02:10 PM »
Fairly local to me Superbike Factory and I have to say they haven't got the best of reputations around here.
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2023, 07:27:12 AM »
Thought I would just update you on the Triumph Trident 660 as I have now done a bit of mileage.

It started out fairly poorly, the low revs throttle response is a dangerous joke. Wind the throttle to about 20% and you get about 5% which rules out nipping out of a T junction when a small gap arrives. Very unnerving.

Now the engine dies on approach to junctions usually when changing down and pulling in the clutch. Turns out this is a widespread issue with the Trident and 660 Tiger but as usual because Triumph wont admit to it your passed from pillar to post. The problem is oil getting into the airbox that then finds it's way via a small tube and restrictor to foul the air pressure MAP sensor. The ECU then gets bad data and shuts down the engine. Fortunately I have a 3 month dealer warranty so that is their problem. Unfortunately changing these parts is only dealing with the symptom and not the cause (oil in the airbox) so what's to stop it happening again.

The bike is generally built down to a price (in Thailand, O' Dear God). For instance, there isn't even a helmet lock. I have dealt with that by buying a bracket from USA that bolts on. There is already a bracket there that just required a hook on the top of it, would have cost Triumph nothing to do, very poor. The seat is probably it's worst feature, its very slippery if wearing textile bike pants plus it's very narrow with hardly any padding. It's the worst seat on any bike I have ever owned. Then on top, everything you expect from a modern bike is an extra that has a silly price tag with it.

I have owned this bike now for 10 days and am already starting to think about part exchanging it for a new Honda CB650R. My fault I should have stuck with Honda in the first place. Triumph certainly know how to get rid of their new customers. It's a real shame because if the issues were fixed it would be a really nice bike, the engine is an absolute peach. It handles lovely and is so light it is really easy to move around, and it's faster than I need at 64. Will see what happens after the warranty repair as the throttle issues may be part of the cutting out problem. And the other issue's such as the seat can be dealt with.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2023, 07:37:24 AM by royhall »
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2023, 10:55:02 AM »
Thought I would just update you on the Triumph Trident 660 as I have now done a bit of mileage.

It started out fairly poorly, the low revs throttle response is a dangerous joke. Wind the throttle to about 20% and you get about 5% which rules out nipping out of a T junction when a small gap arrives. Very unnerving.

Now the engine dies on approach to junctions usually when changing down and pulling in the clutch. Turns out this is a widespread issue with the Trident and 660 Tiger but as usual because Triumph wont admit to it your passed from pillar to post. The problem is oil getting into the airbox that then finds it's way via a small tube and restrictor to foul the air pressure MAP sensor. The ECU then gets bad data and shuts down the engine. Fortunately I have a 3 month dealer warranty so that is their problem. Unfortunately changing these parts is only dealing with the symptom and not the cause (oil in the airbox) so what's to stop it happening again.

The bike is generally built down to a price (in Thailand, O' Dear God). For instance, there isn't even a helmet lock. I have dealt with that by buying a bracket from USA that bolts on. There is already a bracket there that just required a hook on the top of it, would have cost Triumph nothing to do, very poor. The seat is probably it's worst feature, its very slippery if wearing textile bike pants plus it's very narrow with hardly any padding. It's the worst seat on any bike I have ever owned. Then on top, everything you expect from a modern bike is an extra that has a silly price tag with it.

I have owned this bike now for 10 days and am already starting to think about part exchanging it for a new Honda CB650R. My fault I should have stuck with Honda in the first place. Triumph certainly know how to get rid of their new customers. It's a real shame because if the issues were fixed it would be a really nice bike, the engine is an absolute peach. It handles lovely and is so light it is really easy to move around, and it's faster than I need at 64. Will see what happens after the warranty repair as the throttle issues may be part of the cutting out problem. And the other issue's such as the seat can be dealt with.
Honda CB650R.

Made in Thailand (oh dear)…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline Laverdaroo

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2023, 10:55:44 AM »
Get rid, it sounds bloody awful!
Mornings are the invention of the devil!

1977 CB550F (current money pit!!)
2002 VFR800 VTEC (The Beloved)
1977 CB400F (the last money pit!)
1998 Ducati 748\853 conversion(sold :()
1980 ish CB750KZ in a billion bits (need to get rid, anybody want one?))

Offline Laverda Dave

• SOHC Jedi
  • Health is wealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2023, 11:37:29 AM »
Triumph not admitting to a problem sounds very true Roy. Stuart Fillingham who has his own YouTube channel had big problems with the gear change mechanism of his new T120. He complained to Triumph who effectively did nothing. He made a video about it and posted it to his channel in the hope of making Triumph do something to fix the problem. Other owners then got in touch who were also experiencing the same problem, result, Triumph said they would collect his bike to investigate the issue. They fitted new parts but like you the real problem was the design of the gearbox itself, the fitting of new parts only resulted in a temporary fix. He hasn’t mentioned the problem since on his channel . 2-3 years later he still has the bike although he tends to ride RE’s now.

Triumph not admitting to design issues and issuing recalls to fix them is very poor and is without doubt harming the reputation of the company.  I know Stuart also had big issues with Triumph customer care not returning phone calls and emails etc. The press and video channels all big up Triumph but none of them mention the issues owners suffer.

I bought a new Triumph ST1050 in 2007 trading in my immaculate 20k 1998 VFR800 and within a couple of months I had that ‘What have I done feeling’ when the fasteners and brake discs began to rust and the fuel mapping had a big hole at mid revs. It was virtually impossible to remove the seat as the two holding bolts were under the overhang of the seat cover virtually ripping the cover to get to them was the result. I removed the fairing to give it a good clean, it took hours to get it back on, the panels had warped due to engine heat. I sold the bike 4 years later at a big loss and am now back on a 1999 VFR as my main bike and it still looks as good as the day it left the showroom.
1976 Honda 400/4
1977 Rickman Honda CR750
1999 Honda VFR 800FX
1955 750 Dresda Triton
1978 Moto Morini 350 Sport
1978 Honda CB400/4 'Rat' bike
1982 Laverda 120 Jota

Offline taysidedragon

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2023, 03:15:14 PM »
It's a real shame that their customer care is so poor. It depends on the dealer mind. Some are very good and others not helpful at all.
 I bought my Street TripleR from TwoWheelsTriumph in Edinburgh and had really good service from them over 12 years. A mate of mine has a Tiger 1050 and has had lots of trouble with brakes and suspension. He does ride it very hard though.
Gareth

1977 CB400F
1965 T100SS

Offline Multiman

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2023, 05:42:40 PM »
The 2021 CB125F I learnt on was made in China……

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal