Author Topic: Doubts about EVs  (Read 5051 times)

Offline Multiman

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Doubts about EVs
« Reply #105 on: July 07, 2023, 06:50:11 PM »
My understanding is that F1 engines are made to such tight tolerances that they have to pump hot water through the cooling system to warm the engine before starting.
Once some expansion has taken place it's safe to start them.
Amazing and beautiful engineering but not very practical on a daily basis.

Offline Athame57

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • SeaWitch Artist
« Reply #106 on: July 07, 2023, 07:43:33 PM »
My understanding is that F1 engines are made to such tight tolerances that they have to pump hot water through the cooling system to warm the engine before starting.
Well, I'm glad my Suzuki RG500s had a bit of leeway then, that would have been a pain in the butt!  :o
I brake for animals!
1978 CB400F2 called Elen.

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 08, 2023, 07:21:32 AM »
Unfortunately if you burn hydrogen in the presence of nitrogen (our atmosphere is 78% nitrogen) it produces nitrous oxides.
It is much cleaner than burning hydrocarbons though.
If you react hydrogen in a fuel cell there is just water as a byproduct and you generate electricity.

True but if the engine is made so it lean burns it doesn't produce any or as much NOX but we do get a reduction in fuel efficiency. This may change as we get more knowledge of how to control the burn, ICE though don't really contribute that much NOX, it's burning it in homes that appears to be detrimental. This  is of course at present, things may change in even a few years.
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 08, 2023, 09:10:33 PM »

Likely that's the reality, but unlikely it's derived from the efficiency angle.

They have 266cc cylinders, run on restricted fuel specification, boosted at 50 psi,  have maximum fuel flow limits, no increase in fuel allowed over 10500 rpm, make roughly 840 bhp (without electric addition) have to last minimum number of races, try to give that output throughout their service life without significant drop.

The focus is ultimately performance, efficiency stated is just a byproduct and not the reasoning for such tight tolerance.

Offline Laverda Dave

• SOHC Jedi
  • Health is wealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 08, 2023, 09:45:14 PM »

Likely that's the reality, but unlikely it's derived from the efficiency angle.

They have 266cc cylinders, run on restricted fuel specification, boosted at 50 psi,  have maximum fuel flow limits, no increase in fuel allowed over 10500 rpm, make roughly 840 bhp (without electric addition) have to last minimum number of races, try to give that output throughout their service life without significant drop.

The focus is ultimately performance, efficiency stated is just a byproduct and not the reasoning for such tight tolerance.

Mind boggling technology  :o
1976 Honda 400/4
1977 Rickman Honda CR750
1999 Honda VFR 800FX
1955 750 Dresda Triton
1978 Moto Morini 350 Sport
1978 Honda CB400/4 'Rat' bike
1982 Laverda 120 Jota

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal