General > Humour

Son of a spanner?

<< < (2/7) > >>

paul G:
 ;D ;D

Spitfire:
Great name

McCabe-Thiele (Ted):
TBH as cleverly as the name has been constructed for the joke it is not something I would post today due to its racist connotations.

Not trying to be PC just my view.

Athame57:
When I discovered (in Germany) that the Germans call an adjustable spanner 'ein Englander' I laughed!  ;D

Oddjob:

--- Quote from: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on May 12, 2023, 12:40:57 PM ---TBH as cleverly as the name has been constructed for the joke it is not something I would post today due to its racist connotations.

Not trying to be PC just my view.

--- End quote ---

How do we know though Ted that Tenmil isn't a real Asian name, it could be, some of our names for example sound like they are made up for a laugh, especially American names, Theodore, Buzz, Chad, imagine if they were common slang words for something obscene in India for example, you think they wouldn't be all over the Indian web? Prime example is fanny in America, completely different meaning from our version and that's people who speak the same language as us.

I watched The Dam Busters the other week, with Richard Todd, a WW2 hero I might add that was at Pegasus Bridge on D Day, I've seen that film hundreds of times, I watched it again to see if they had edited out his dogs name, it was a black dog and it's name began with N, I wanted to see if the PC brigade had been at work and beeped out the name whenever it was said, I fully expected it to happen but thankfully they appear to have just left it alone as when the dog was named it didn't have the same connotations it has today. We can't rewrite history no matter how unpleasant it might have been or how much we wish things hadn't happened. Learn from history, don't try to rewrite it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version