Author Topic: Wire colors of reproduction left and right hand switches  (Read 620 times)

Offline alexdecker

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Wire colors of reproduction left and right hand switches
« on: June 13, 2023, 04:36:28 PM »
Hey

I bought reproduction switches for both sides of my handlebar. The colors seems to be off though. I figured that maybe somebody knew what colors goes to what on these switches. My bike is a european CB550F2.

On the Start/Stop switch with light controls (first picture), I have these colors. The ones in bold is the ones I can't figure out where to go:
Y/Red, Bl/Red, Bl/W, Bl, Bl/Y, Bl/B, and Bl/Grey.

On the turn signal switch, I have these colors:
Light Green, Light Blue, Orange, White, Orange/W, Blue, Lighter Blue/W, Brown/White, Bl/Red, Dark Grey, Bl/grey

Does this make sense to any of you guys?

Regards
Alex

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Wire colors of reproduction left and right hand switches
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2023, 04:58:22 PM »
The only way you are going to find out is by tracing what colour goes to which switch connection either visibly or with a meter

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2023, 07:02:15 PM »
The Light blue and white and the orange and white are not used.
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Offline alexdecker

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2023, 04:54:25 PM »
Okay, a few follow up questions on the wiring. These questions all relate to all the plugs under the tank on the little black box:

• Is it correctly understood that the brown/blue is the turn signal buzzer?
  • My new turn signal switch has a brown/white wire, which is the lights in the tacho and speedo. I can see that in the US models, it is in use, but not on the european models. Can anyone explain why this wire needs to go from turn signal switch on US models?
  • The black wire from turn signal switch - what does this do?
  • And lastly, where does the horn get power from? Is is connected to light green and black, and in the switch end, it is also connected to light green. But no sound. Is it dependant on any other connections?
« Last Edit: June 14, 2023, 04:57:59 PM by alexdecker »

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2023, 06:45:33 PM »
Horn depends on which wiring system it's using. One has the horn button being the earth and the other has the horn being the earth. Check your horn, does it have a small wire which goes to earth, round by the coils or sometimes on the horn bracket itself. The black wire is the power for the horn and some other things, without that connected not much will work. I presume the new switch has horn/pass or just horn?

Brown/white always seem to be for illumination lights but on the US model it's also used to power the running lights inside the indicators, that's the light blue/white and the orange/white.

Brown/blue was the buzzer.

Offline alexdecker

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2023, 07:27:31 PM »
Horn depends on which wiring system it's using. One has the horn button being the earth and the other has the horn being the earth. Check your horn, does it have a small wire which goes to earth, round by the coils or sometimes on the horn bracket itself. The black wire is the power for the horn and some other things, without that connected not much will work. I presume the new switch has horn/pass or just horn?

Brown/white always seem to be for illumination lights but on the US model it's also used to power the running lights inside the indicators, that's the light blue/white and the orange/white.

Brown/blue was the buzzer.

The new switch just has a horn button. And my horn has two wires. A green to ground and a black to power. And they used to work, but with the new switch, all of a sudden it doesn't work, so just wondered about that. I thought maybe the black wire from turn signal switch to power had something to do with it.

Offline mickwinf

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2023, 10:50:20 PM »
ok, the horn operation works in two ways depending on if you have the pass button or just horn. if just horn, the power goes from the black wire near to coil, to one terminal of horn, the other terminal is the light green wire to the handlebar switch then to earth through the handlebar when button is pressed. With the pass switch system the power goes to the switch via wiring loom black wire, then through switch when button is depressed via the light green wire to horn then to earth via a short wire from other terminal to horn mount. the black wire near coils is left empty in this application so if you connect to horn it does not work at all. will also depend if new switch is wired as original honda ones
Love the 500 and 550 have a 500 called Lazarus under restoration

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2023, 12:25:26 AM »
Mick has described it really well. On yours it sounds like the horn button is the earth. So the horn is getting power from the black wire near the coils, and when you press the horn button it earths out to the bars. If the switch isn't mounted on the bars there is no earth, have you been testing it with it off the bars? 

Offline alexdecker

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2023, 06:33:33 AM »
Mick has described it really well. On yours it sounds like the horn button is the earth. So the horn is getting power from the black wire near the coils, and when you press the horn button it earths out to the bars. If the switch isn't mounted on the bars there is no earth, have you been testing it with it off the bars?

I have only tested it mounted to the bars. I haven't removed the actual horn from the bike, so that still has black to near coils, and green to earth. Ok, will need to figure out how to put this together, so it will function.

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2023, 10:53:19 AM »
Not sure if this will help but I had a similar issue on my 400 as the horn side bar switch does not have the Pass switch so the horn wiring is different - I found the original wiring diagrams for the two versions to know what colours I was looking for. IIRC the horn has two possible ways of operating.

First way is that one horn wire goes directly to earth the second wire goes into the loom connection,  the bar button in this case switches the live supply to work the horn via the loom. Only from memory but live bullet connections are originally only female and are insulated.

Second way is that live power comes out of the loom into the horn - second horn wire goes into the loom at the bar end this wire is again female as it is live - other side of the horn button is the earth.

I used a test lamp as am not very good at continuity testing - hope this helps in some way.

Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline mickwinf

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2023, 01:30:40 PM »
just realised you said the horn is earthed, that is wrong with your system. black wire from loom to one side of horn, light green wire from switch to other horn terminal. So black wire supplies 12v when ignition is on to horn then via light green to switch, earths when horn button pressed.... beep.

Offline alexdecker

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2023, 01:39:47 PM »
EDIT: Once again it was simple and I’m the idiot. The horn needed power. I gave it that. It works now. Shhheeesh. Ignore everything below.

I am slightly confused. So here is how it is wired now.

Horn has a black that goes to ground (by the coils) and light green that goes to loom.

Switch has light green that goes to light green in the loom. I opened up the switch, and no other wires come out from the horn button than the light green.

I have one light green and one black wire left from the switch. If I connect them to their respective colors in the loom, I get nothing, no matter if the switch is mounted to the handlebar or no.

So what am I missing?
« Last Edit: June 16, 2023, 03:36:42 PM by alexdecker »

Offline mickwinf

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2023, 10:13:21 AM »
not sure why you have 2 light green wires, should only be 1, this can be the problem with pattern stuff. Remember on Honda's the black wires are always + supply when ignition is on, dark green is always earth. Light green is only horn circuit

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2023, 11:45:48 AM »
Like i said before you need to sit there with a meter and work out what wire goes where, you cannot trust ANY colour on a repop switch

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal