Author Topic: Oil pressure.  (Read 1074 times)

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
Re: Oil pressure.
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2023, 12:18:31 PM »
The pressure has increased as the Japanese worked out tighter tolerances. And today on modern engines all work on the same tolerances.
When i was a lot younger, people would say that British engineering was the best in the world, in later years when i trained at Honda i found it was a load of shite and Japanese engineering was far more superior  ;)     

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2023, 12:53:02 PM »
There's an old noted tale about these manufacturing ability that illustrates....to the question "what tolerance can you work to ? " the answer given was "what tolerance can you afford Sir"  :)

It's certainly in the Japanese technical psychology to just keep pursuing those improvement in development, manufacturing and product resulting from those process.

Whats not even now aknowledged, and in the light of thinner oils being used in current engines to general disbelief....comments like "how can it possibly last long running on that thin an oil ? pfft, you'll not catch me using that stuff, I'll run it on 20w50 " when in reality these Honda engines, even in the sixties are specified and toleranced to run on straight 20 viscosity at ambient temperature up to 60 F and 30 viscosity above that. They were that far ahead in manufacturing tolerance right from the early engine.

Online Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2023, 01:08:18 PM »
When i started in the merchant navy in 71 i joined a british built ship built in 53 with a 10 year life, the japanese built tankers with a 10 year life were scrapped at 12yrs.
They work strictly to design parameters instead of the british saying "that dont look right, make it thicker!"

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2023, 04:37:31 PM »
Was that 1853 Bryan?

Was there a spec for the oak?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2023, 05:30:04 PM »
No only for the square rigged sails at that time. ☠️☠️☠️
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2023, 06:58:21 PM »
Was that 1853 Bryan?

Was there a spec for the oak?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Only the best, oak from the New Forest King Henry  ;D

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2023, 07:04:28 PM »
Pressure increase is most likely to be from smaller oil ways in castings as engines are built smaller and lighter.

You'd need to run at higher pressure to reach the accepted volume required for bearing replenishment demands in a compressed design scheme.

Reduce the bore size of distribution must have increaesd pressure just to remain same delivery volume. There's not much choice apart from running less viscosity to do the same.  Both those are used to achieve that balance on newer stuff.

Online Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2023, 07:45:50 PM »
Best quality British oak using pegs not nails mate, only running 22,000 shaft horse from 80 tons of heavy fuel oil  a day.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal