Author Topic: 1976 Z900A4 Carb issue  (Read 1082 times)

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: 1976 Z900A4 Carb issue
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2023, 10:29:50 PM »
The problem is Ted is that you cannot do anything to the needle to alter the mixture, it's the clip that you move not the needle. So you move the clip downwards to richen the mixture and move it upwards to weaken it. Any terminology that mentions moving the needle is the wrong terminology.
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2023, 09:30:00 AM »
In my head I visualise the slider half way open - at this point the taper of the needle is allowing an amount of fuel to flow through the gap - between needle & jet.

Lowering the needle relative to the slider will reduce fuel flow as the gap is smaller - thus weaker mixture.

I'm just confirming that I overthink stuff I guess.
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2023, 10:38:46 AM »
In my head I visualise the slider half way open - at this point the taper of the needle is allowing an amount of fuel to flow through the gap - between needle & jet.

Lowering the needle relative to the slider will reduce fuel flow as the gap is smaller - thus weaker mixture.

I'm just confirming that I overthink stuff I guess.

I've always seen it tbe same as you Ted, with conversations like "we'll drop the needle on that to lean it off" and visualised as, for whatever air the slider is giving, then needle down gives less fuel, lifting needle gives it more , for the same air.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal