SOHC.co.uk Forums > Project Board

1975 CB400F "un-cafe"

(1/6) > >>

kartin:
As I mentioned on my new member intro thread, some time back I had started a project thread on the US site since that's where I am physically but I'm keen to get more exposure to the 400-specific knowledge here on the UK site. I've decided to just duplicate each post on both sites. Of course the first few posts here will just be to catch up with where I've got to so there will be a flurry of them to begin with that are not in "real time"! Also, I'm not going to post all the back in forth with people who replied - if you're interested, you can see those on the US Project Shop (same topic title).

kartin:
Had a CB400F back in the 70s/80s - see my Intro for back story - and wanted to re-create my youth. I was about to post a "WTB" on the US forum when one popped up really cheaply on craigslist. Of course it was rough and not running but it had correct paperwork (so many don't...) and good compression so I went for it. The bad news is that somewhere along its life it had received a poor cafe conversion attempt and was missing the original tank, mudguards, instruments, front wheel, front brakes (it has a drum brake!), muffler/silencer and lights. I want to gradually bring it back towards standard or maybe even a re-creation of my old bike. I'm certainly not looking for concourse - just a usable bike that at least has the appearance of a CB400F!

So far the progress has been to clean the carbs and go through all standard service items and then it sprang to life quite nicely with no smoke or abnormal rattles - result!

Here are some pics of the starting point - no laughing!

kartin:
PO said it was running up to about a year ago but didn't know any more other than "it wouldn't start". Carbs were as expected for a bike that had sat but responded nicely to some Berryman's. I mentioned that it ran but just to elaborate a bit. I jury-rigged some wiring (there is no no real loom), set timing, checked valve clearances, fresh oil+filter, cranked until I saw oil from cam spray bars and then tried to fire it up and it ran fine, so that's a relief! Carbs now bagged and ready for the rebuild.

kartin:
My thinking for the next steps are to:
- dismantle it down to bare frame (almost done)
- fix the places where the frame itself has been "molested" - see below
- paint frame, stands, yokes etc.
- new swingarm bearings (already ordered from Nurse Julie) and taper head bearings. The swingarm pivot came out really easily so no horrors there!
- then start building back up, creating a shopping list as a find out what's missing.

Regarding the frame, here are the areas that need addressing:
- fill holes with weld where that ally side panel was screwed on
- craft and weld on 3 new side panel "hooks" that were cut off (and what is that grinding gouge on frame rail - something else missing?)
- cut off the tab where the coils had been moved to accommodate that fuel tank
- cut off the stubs that hold the front tank rubbers and weld new ones back in correct position
- what's going on with that piece brazed to the sidestand mount? Is that a repair or has the stand mount been moved? Hard to tell without an original side-by-side.

kartin:
First time in garage for a few days and worked on the frame "repairs". Crafted 3 new side panel "hooks" and cleaned up the remains on the frame to get a straight edge to weld to. Will do the final metal cleanup right before I weld. Right after I posted last time, I realised what the other missing item was - the front helmet lock/holder. Not sure if I'll ever need two again but I certainly used to use them on my old bike so I'll add it, just for memory's sake! On the side panel hooks, I didn't make the little "ears" that hold the rubbers on - will try and put a little blob of weld on each corner then file it to shape.

The stubs that hold the front tank rubbers turned out to be a tube all the way through! Who knows why that was done but I'm not going to try and get it out...

Also got the head races off/out and carefully measured the lower stack, ready to decide which spacer I'll need on the tapers. Still not 100% decided between All Balls, Pyramid and DSS - have read good and bad about each, in terms of leaving enough thread at the top.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version