Author Topic: CB 500 Four - Something loose in exhaust  (Read 492 times)

Offline Siloxious

• CB500 Four - General Export K1
    • View Profile
CB 500 Four - Something loose in exhaust
« on: June 29, 2023, 10:00:52 PM »
Hello everyone!

I've recently started cleaning the original exhaust pipes of my CB 500 Four. I have noticed there is something loose in one pipe.
It sounds metallic when I shake the pipe and I fear it's a loose baffle. When shaking, a small metal piece also fell out.

Does anyone know if it is indeed a loose baffle? Can I repair this one way or another?

Thanks in advance!

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
Re: CB 500 Four - Something loose in exhaust
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2023, 11:07:53 PM »
All exhausts rot from the insides out as they get older. Afraid, no way to repair. There is a vid somewhere of one being given a cut away so you can see what they look like inside  ;)

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2023, 11:32:32 PM »
Could just be a large amount of rust flakes, don't worry about it, just make sure the drain hole is clear.
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2023, 11:34:45 PM »

Online Athame57

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • SeaWitch Artist
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2023, 03:57:19 PM »
All exhausts rot from the insides out as they get older. Afraid, no way to repair. There is a vid somewhere of one being given a cut away so you can see what they look like inside  ;)
Does it look like a smokers lung?  :o
I brake for animals!
1978 CB400F2 called Elen.

Offline Siloxious

• CB500 Four - General Export K1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2023, 12:08:51 PM »
I've also noticed that at one point, the muffler had to be welded to the exhaust pipe. It must have gone wrong, and the muffler isn't oriented with the line (that goes through the middle of the muffler) perpendicular to the ground, but at an angle. Because of this, the upper and lower mufflers don't connect.

I should have seen this coming, as this set of two had caps on their connection tubes.

It's a shame that this one exhaust renders the whole set useless, because the other three are in good condition.

Does anyone know if it is possible to buy a single exhaust? It's the upper right one that is messed up and I'd like to replace. Otherwise, I guess I've made an expensive gamble on this set of exhausts and I have to buy a whole new set at the ridiculous prices they go for nowadays... You can see the exhausts attached below. The banged up one is the second from the top and you can see the caps.

Cheers

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2023, 05:31:46 PM »
You can find them separate but they are not cheap. I spotted one the other day on american ebay, was around £350 or so. For some reason the left side lasts longer than the right, I think because of the oil coming off the chain helps protect the left hand ones. I have 2 really good original 323 exhausts left from my last set,  however they are the left hand ones. The one you want looks to be for number 4 cylinder,  18450-323-070.

This is the only one I can find at the moment

https://www.ebay.com/itm/175393887142
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal