SOHC.co.uk Forums > Project Board

Doms CB550F1 project

<< < (2/113) > >>

Trigger:

--- Quote from: DomP on August 11, 2023, 01:37:51 PM ---Thanks Oddjob, I've had a look and got a few leads to chase up regarding the brake lining, I think the carbs are very much salvageable with an m4? Helicoil.

Yes I think so too Trigger, nothing insurmountable...so far!  Is it you that is able to re-line hub brake linings?

--- End quote ---

If you are going to buy a helicoil kit, V-coil are suitable for rolled threads  ;)
And the carbs do not have enough meat on them for a  Time insert  ::)

Trigger:

--- Quote from: DomP on August 11, 2023, 01:37:51 PM ---Thanks Oddjob, I've had a look and got a few leads to chase up regarding the brake lining, I think the carbs are very much salvageable with an m4? Helicoil.

Yes I think so too Trigger, nothing insurmountable...so far!  Is it you that is able to re-line hub brake linings?

--- End quote ---

I did hub lining but, have now sold the lathe. Near on imposable to find someone with a big enough lathe to take a full wheel so, a full strip is required.
Not a cheap job, the donor Honda brake drum have shot up in price and a lot of work involved.

Oddjob:
I've done loads of inserts in carb bodies and none have ever failed  ;)

Trigger:
On 69a's. It does not have enough alloy for the collar with a time insert  ;)

DomP:
I'm going to order an m4 helicoil kit off ebay, I've used them a few times before so I'm sure it will work on the carb body.  Just to confirm, those are m4 lower bolts (×16) and m5 upper bolts (×8)

I've found a bit more bodgery today, not only have the carb bodies been rattle canned in black with the bowls off but one has been butchered and had the jet JB Welded (up- see pics) although ive managed to pick it apart and removd the mangled jet.  That same body is missing the flat spring steel jet retaining spring, are they available separately?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version