Author Topic: Hello Everyone  (Read 2034 times)

Offline Johnny4428

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: Hello Everyone
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2023, 02:22:43 PM »
Consensus on here is to always use original brassware unless you are changing jetting.
1952 Cymoto on Triumph bicycle.
1961 Matchless G3
1974 Honda CB550K1. Running resto,
1978 Honda CB550K3.
1999 ST1100 Pan European 50th Anniversary.
1975,1980,1984,1986 Honda C90’s
1973 Honda CB750K3

Offline Johny Boy

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2023, 03:21:39 PM »
Consensus on here is to always use original brassware unless you are changing jetting.

Thanks Johnny, I am hoping to, not taken them apart yet, the barrels do look to have some wear on them, do you think they are OK to re-use?

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
Don't judge me on the picture, this is how I got it!!!!

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2023, 03:36:36 PM »
Thanks everyone, I have emailed Philpots with pictures, I have heard that putting electronic ignition on can help with the flat spot issues? Something I am planning on doing as points always seem to cause issues on old motors
I have electronic ignition on mine! Still flat spot!

That is disapointing, still it will be a few months before mine is on the road, given the carbs a good degreasing and planning on putting all the parts through an ultrasonic tank before I re-assemble.

You might need to poke some jets out with a wire after an Ultrasound bath then give them some more Ultrasound depending on the level of dirt.
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2023, 04:00:24 PM »
Those don't look like PD carbs to me, more like 069A carbs off a 550 for instance.

Do they have a choke lever on number 1 carb? the PD carbs have a cable operated choke.
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Offline Johny Boy

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2023, 04:50:23 PM »
Hi, it is a 550 and yes lever choke

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2023, 05:02:10 PM »
Those are 550F carbs(or 500), have you the blanking screws for vacuum tackoff point on the manifolds that bolt to head?
The carbs you have are way easier to work with by the way

Offline Johny Boy

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2023, 05:12:26 PM »
Hi Bryan. not exactly sure what you mean, picture below is the of the manifolds

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2023, 06:03:36 PM »
Welcome to the Mad world of the SOHC.  Looks like you have the wrong manifolds fitted for those carbs  ;)

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2023, 06:09:44 PM »
You need this type of inlet manifolds for the carbs you have .

Offline Johny Boy

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2023, 06:15:22 PM »
Thanks Trigger, now the vacuum take off comment above makes sense, I'll have to add a new set of manifolds to the ever growing shopping list....
Still at least the Carbs will hopefully be less hassle than the PD ones! Small wins

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2023, 06:22:10 PM »
To use that type of carbs, you will also need the correct air box to carb rubbers. Your choke lever is bent and will need a little straightening up  ;)

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2023, 08:29:22 PM »
And 500 or 550 EXCEPT K3 manifolds will do and the rubbers for your carbs to airbox are available pattern

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2023, 08:38:16 PM »
Look at number 4 carb, on the flange where the carb bolts to the bracket see if you can read and post the numbers etc stamped into the alloy.

I knew the carbs were wrong as you said you had a K3 and that has PD carbs which everyone keeps saying are trouble, which TBH they are. However there are at least 4 different variants of those carbs you've pictured so knowing what the numbers are tells us what bike they were originally fitted, the jets etc are different.

The 550F1/2 for instance uses 069A carbs, generally.

The 500 uses the exact same looking carbs but those are normally 627B for the UK, different ones for Europe for instance, 022A if I remember correctly.

I may have a spare pair of carb manifolds lying around with the vac gauge outlet, the K3 had the outlets on the carbs hence why there are none on the manifold.

If it was running before it's likely the previous owner has already changed the airbox to carb rubbers as the K3 type are too long.
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Offline Johny Boy

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2024, 05:59:46 PM »
Hi Oddjob, soory for the 6month delay in replying, got into the strip down and parked the engine and carbs.
Happy new year to everyone. Got my forks straightenged and rechromed though - Philpotts, super job.

I have looked and they are 069A's - which I have now fully stripped down, could you suggest a good rebuild kit?
I think I am going to have to replace the Thottle Slides as well as they are very worn, you can feel the wear easily with your fingers.

Also I have managed to snap one of the pilot jets off in the body, wierdly its not the thread that has snapped but the cross drilled tube at the end, I'm guessing it must have been stuck to the body, these were in a right state inside, soft and solidified white gunk everywhere.

Anybody got any bright ideas for getting it out? ive tried banging a straight pick into it, it seems to lock in the bore but won't hold on when pulled.
I have sprayed copious amounts of WD40 and Carb Cleaner in there.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2024, 07:22:00 PM »
Try to find a tap which will run down the bore in it (or drill out very slightly to take a tap either metric or BA) and tap some kind of thread. then put a metal sleeve slightly larger OD over it and screw a tapped bar/screw into it with a washer underneath the head  in case of screw or nut if it's threaded bar you used. Then  try to extract it. You could heat it very slightly with a creme-brulee type gas mini torch but be careful ... that alloy they used does melt quite easily.

Another method it to get a hex Torx type screwdriver bit that is slightly larger diameter than the hole in the tube. Press  into the the stuck tube (ie tap in with a little hammer) and then heat slightly as above and try to twist the bit and pull out the stuck tube.

Another method is to file a piece of bar/screwdriver so that it looks like the tang of a file (i.e square section but slightly tapered) so that when you tap it into the hole in the brass tube the corners bite into the walls of the tube. Again use heat as above.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2024, 07:33:57 PM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal