Author Topic: "Honda" seat logo  (Read 1658 times)

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: "Honda" seat logo
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2023, 08:00:28 PM »
This is my seat logo it was already on the seat the bike came with - too good generally to be original..

.400 seat by Macabe Thiele, on Flickr
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline philward

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2023, 08:11:00 PM »
I've only done one (ie, not practiced spraying the logo prior) and it turned out good Mike - have a go and I'm sure it'll be to your standard

Sent from my moto g(50) using Tapatalk

Current Bikes:-
Honda CB750K2 (1975)
Honda CB500K2 (12/1972)
Honda CR750 Replica (1972)
Honda CB350K0 (1969)
Kawasaki ZZR1100D3 (1995)
Kawasaki ZZR250 (1990) Project (Going on eBay ASAP)

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2023, 08:15:25 PM »
Can't be that hard, have a pop
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2023, 09:13:57 PM »
Back in the day when the firm I worked for sprayed door panels for Vauxhall HA Vivas we used vinyl dye to colour the panels that came in a sort of white finish. No washing that stuff off afterwards.

Offline Mikep328

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 05, 2023, 06:10:00 AM »
Part of my reluctance comes from one attempt at painting vinyl many years ago.  Had white vinyl seats in a car and I painted them black with "vinyl paint."  Didn't take long to start cracking, flaking, etc so that gave me a very jaundiced view of painting anything flexible.  Admittedly that part of the Honda seat does not really flex much and I ASSume (hope!) that "vinyl paint" is better today than back then...so I ordered the stencil. 

Related, and FWIW to anyone interested, in my checking around, I found that a P&K seat cover for the CB400 four is £55 + £4 shipping within in the UK and, per P&K, the Honda logo is heat-stamped as the original was.  I have never fitted a motorcycle seat cover so don't know how hard/easy that might be but the price strikes me as reasonable.

I was going to do the stencil painting outdoors but decided it was safer to do it indoors for fear of Martian meteorites. 

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2023, 06:35:29 AM »
It is so much easier to spray a stencil on than to fit a aftermarket seat cover  ;)
D&K got all there seat covers from Bob and i know Bob doesn't heat press any Honda logos after his prosecution from Honda. They may get the covers from another supplier these days as, Bob has not done much since his massive stroke  :'( 

Offline Mikep328

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 05, 2023, 08:06:01 AM »
Of course, being brand new to this particular motorcycle and any suppliers of components for them, I don't have any personal experience with suppliers/the quality of the parts.  So I'm relying totally on the experience of folks on this site. 

Re the heat stamping from P&K, I was wrong when I said they were "heat stamped".  I specifically asked what process was used for the seat logo on their Honda CB400 seat logo.  The response from P&K was:  "They are heat welded, as they should be."  I ASSUMED (incorrectly) that it was the same thing so I said "heat stamped" in my earlier message but in researching I learned that heat stamping and heat welding are different processes.   

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2023, 01:43:36 PM »
I was going to do the stencil painting outdoors but decided it was safer to do it indoors for fear of Martian meteorites.

Very wise, if you get hit by a piece of cheese you'll know that's a moon meteorite as we all know the moon is made of cheese.
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2023, 04:53:13 PM »
Part of my reluctance comes from one attempt at painting vinyl many years ago.  Had white vinyl seats in a car and I painted them black with "vinyl paint."  Didn't take long to start cracking, flaking, etc so that gave me a very jaundiced view of painting anything flexible.
There is a massive difference between vinyl dye and paint for vinyl.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal