Author Topic: 400 four whistle  (Read 1284 times)

Offline Piki

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Re: 400 four whistle
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2023, 03:34:20 PM »
It could well be Piki that the chain is overtight, when the engine is just spinning over it's not a huge problem but as soon as the engine starts to load up then the chain does as well, this causes it to overtighten to the point where it's stressing the others parts, the tensioner blade, the chain itself and the guide, even the horseshoe.

Not saying this is the case but it's feasible.

IF it is this you need to sort it before something snaps, if the horseshoe is stuck you may be able to get it unstuck through the sump, not enough to fix it but maybe just backing it off a little so it doesn't make the chain whine. It will need sorting at some point though, sooner rather than later.

Thanks for the advice, I will try to check if the sound comes from there, although honestly the sound comes more from the clutch area. This morning I spoke with a man who had the same whistling problem on his 400 Four, after several tests he managed to eliminate the whistling by changing the sprocket and clutch basket from the same motorcycle, that is, he changed both things at the same time and of the same engine, this agrees more with the idea of ​​wear on the clutch sprocket/basket…..
« Last Edit: September 14, 2023, 03:48:08 PM by Piki »

Offline Piki

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2023, 03:37:37 PM »
Big problem with all the adjusting is you keep burning your hands on the exhaust, i have put up several times a link to knocks and rattles mod kit for the tensioner bolt which whilst it does not free the horseshoe or make the plunger free is a well made stainless kit to repair the lockbolt and no i do not have anything to do with the firm

Could you show me that please?

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2023, 04:37:35 PM »
Look up knock n rattles mate i cant post links

Offline Deano400

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2023, 04:46:54 PM »