General > Out & About

When I'm cleaning windows..................

(1/1)

MCTID:
I rarely post pics of my bike rides out cos I don't go too far nowadays, but seeing as the George Formby Appreciation Society met in Blackpool this week.....I thought 'Why not'. This is the Blue Plaque outside the great man's former home in Lytham. It's a lovely spot and I believe he spent some happy years looking out over the Ribble Estuary from his beautiful home.

My sister lives across the Estuary....it's just a few miles from me, but to visit I have to travel into Preston, cross the River Ribble and out again to Hesketh Bank (Southport)....about 30 miles each way. DOH !

Matt_Harrington:
Did he once used  to live heading out to Gt Eccleston? Singleton? It is a vague memory from when I lived in B/pool & Poulton

Orcade-Ian:
That brings back memories!
Ecky Bank!  We were just up the road in Banks and I think there used to be someone who drove a horse and trap across that estuary at low tides with tourists aboard.  It was probably the horse that kept them out of trouble - it would know the way!  Banks was a bit like Orkney - everyone knew each other, mostly related and suspicious of anyone from as far away as Southport (4miles)

Ian

Bryanj:
Never mind southport, what about fleetwood

Matt_Harrington:
What about Fleetwood? Although I think he lived near Rossall as well...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version