Author Topic: First start up  (Read 177 times)

Online Craizeehair

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
First start up
« on: May 25, 2024, 09:59:02 AM »
I am getting close to starting up my CB360 after stripping and reassembling, the top end has been off and rebuilt.

I know this is a basic question but it’s the first engine work I have undertaken.

I know that I need to make sure that I have oil getting to the top end but how long should this take roughly?

I don’t want to panic and convince myself there are problems too quickly but also don’t want to have it running for too long and do some damage.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2024, 06:18:01 PM by Craizeehair »

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: First start up
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2024, 10:30:53 AM »
Likely within a minute to 90 sec would be a practical estimate.

But fresh build, plugs out and turn it over with no compression to get the oil distribution competent before starting is worthwhile.

If you don't want to spin too long on starter, then push it around in second gear with plugs out to get oil circulation throughout would supplement this process.

Online Craizeehair

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2024, 10:45:27 AM »
Thank you, as per previous advice I’ve seen here I will put a piece of white paper close to the front tappets and check for splashes.

I presume the amount of oil will be sufficient that there would be no doubt that it’s there?

Offline flatfour

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:58:30 AM »
My brother owned a CB250 G5 many years ago and, following some top - end work I remember the mechanic slackening one of the nuts above the cam box that, I think had a copper washer fitted under it. As I worked in a car workshop at the time I asked the purpose of this and he said that it was to confirm that oil was reaching the camshaft.

Online Craizeehair

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Today at 04:15:16 PM »
Well I convinced myself that I wasn’t getting any oil to the top end. I tried with the white paper for a couple of minutes but didn’t get any splashes. I’ve whipped the rocker cover off and I did have some oil up there.

As you can see the right hand oil bath has oil covering the bottom all over, the right hand bath has some oil but not as much. There are signs of oil on the tensioner bolt head and the valves but to be honest, I was expecting more, there is oil in the centrifugal filter as well and the rockers have a layer of oil on them.

The bike has probably run for around 3-4 minutes or so I guess, would this be about normal for a short start up after a rebuild?

Is the fact that there is some oil up there a good enough sign to put it back together and run it until winter?

I’m getting myself in a bit of a tizz as I know how weak these engines are regarding the oil delivery and camshaft and journals.

Any opinions would be welcome.

Offline Laverda Dave

• SOHC Jedi
  • Health is wealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Today at 05:04:24 PM »
I would expect to see a bit more oil in the oil bath below the cams if the engine has been running for 3-4 minutes. Did the top end sound rattly when first started and did it quieten down after the oil began to circulate or did it sound the same? I am not really experienced with these engines but if one side of the head has more oil than the other I would be concerned the oil jet on one side is restricted and not delivering the correct amount of oil to that side.

The cam chain is picking up oil from the bottom of the engine as it goes around the crankshaft sprocket and it could be splashing oil at the top end as it comes back up to the camshaft. The oil filter is also in the bottom end where oil pressure is likely to be unrestricted.

It will be very messy but I’d be tempted to run the engine on the starter motor in short bursts with the rocker cover (and fuel tank) taken off and see if the oil is reaching the top end.
1976 Honda 400/4
1977 Rickman Honda CR750
1999 Honda VFR 800FX
1955 750 Dresda Triton
1978 Moto Morini 350 Sport
1978 Honda CB400/4 'Rat' bike
1982 Laverda 120 Jota

Offline Laverda Dave

• SOHC Jedi
  • Health is wealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Today at 05:06:48 PM »
I've just noticed the oil seal is not on the end of the camshaft, did it fall off when you took the rocker cover off?
1976 Honda 400/4
1977 Rickman Honda CR750
1999 Honda VFR 800FX
1955 750 Dresda Triton
1978 Moto Morini 350 Sport
1978 Honda CB400/4 'Rat' bike
1982 Laverda 120 Jota

Online Craizeehair

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Today at 05:15:20 PM »
I've just noticed the oil seal is not on the end of the camshaft, did it fall off when you took the rocker cover off?
Yes, that’s to one side for now

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal