SOHC.co.uk Forums > SOHC Singles & Twins

My first project - 1974 CB360 K0

<< < (2/23) > >>

AshimotoK0:
Pretty looking bike but much maligned because of the fragility of its top end and the un-necessary gimmicky 6th gear.. The cam runs in the alloy head so if it picks up and scores the journals you are talking a replacement  head as well as cam and probably rockers. Decent used cams are very rare as are the cylinder heads with  decent bearing surfaces, Acres of chrome so very expensive bike to rechrome.
So a bit of a gamble really. The problem stems probably from the fact that you can't access the centrifugal oil filter without removing the exhaust and clutch cover, so cleaning the filter was probably often skipped. The earlier K models had a removable plate to gain access to the oil filter plus they had replaceable cam bearing covers. Shares quite a few parts with the 400/4 ..like forks and wheels/brakes.

Bryanj:
See if you can do a video call and listen for rattles etc.
Dont think there are many special tools, biggest cost would be exhausts which are pretty much impossible to find.
Exactly same as the learner 250 G5 except for bore size as i remember, one problem a member here had recently was carb diaphram which have to be getting old and fragile, would be worth searching dave silver by model to get an idea of what is available

Oddjob:
My advise is just one word.

Don’t

AshimotoK0:

--- Quote from: Oddjob on September 19, 2023, 06:02:59 AM ---My advise is just one word.

Don’t

--- End quote ---

Did you actually own one Ken? Or was it your experience in the workshop at Queenies of them?

Funnily enough, a few years back,  I had a blue G5 250  with only 2K genuine  miles that I pulled out from a damp shed basically got it for free... ..... Long gone now and the buyer did an awesome job restoring it  but when I brought it home and  cleaned it up my,  kids said it was one of the best looking bikes of all of the ones I have  ;D and wanted me to keep it ! It was a very late one, with the cam chain tensioner sorted out at the factory (another early Achilles Heel point  :( )  .....   pics attached are 'as I found' and after the  buyer restored it.

Plus the 360 version may be a lot less gutless than the more maligned 250. I think if the cam and head were OK on this it would be a decent project but there's the rub .. . Also pretty sure that Brituro amazingly do repro silencers (or they did) for that model. Another plus is that they are all painted in metallic, not candy paint,  so cheaper to repaint and Piki does excellent tank stripes. The guy at Summerbud (Nick? ) recently did some marathon run on a 360 version one for a charity event

On the CJ that replaced it they lengthened the forks and swinging arm, ditched the electric start and 6th gear and got rid of lots of the chromed bits. Now that model really is a Marmite bike with unobtanium 2 into 1 exhaust system as standard. Charlie at Oxford classics had  one last year that some bloke had fitted NOS parts inc exhaust seat etc but it had gained a 'patina' in storage, which put me off recommending it.

Craizeehair:
Thanks for all the replies, they are all very much appreciated. I don’t think that I will be rushing into this one.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version