Author Topic: Matching Keys  (Read 1488 times)

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
Re: Matching Keys
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2023, 10:30:37 AM »
Some different variants I have gathered up .. only the one on left I am sure is off a CB500K1. One is NOS. Some have flaps ..some don't. Not sure which bikes the other 3 came off.
 As Ken says one on RHS stripped easily and it has a circlip. But the NOS one I can't see any circlip. It's as if you need the key to get the barrel out. I don't have keys for any of these and not entirely sure which one is period correct for a 1975 CB400F. All I know is that the 400F deffo had the spring little key flap cover thingy.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2023, 11:08:34 PM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2023, 11:10:17 PM »
Deano.. I can't see any little brass clip in the ones without circlip fitted. Any ideas please?
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Online McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2023, 01:20:55 AM »
My 1978 400 has matching keeps except for the steering column pretty sure all original - no flap on my seat lock.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2023, 08:31:03 PM by McCabe-Thiele (Ted) »
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline Deano400

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2023, 06:36:20 PM »
Deano.. I can't see any little brass clip in the ones without circlip fitted. Any ideas please?

To see the brass clip / gate you need the key to turn the lock. However, if you haven't got a key, you can lift the end gate with a strip of metal and use a screwdriver to push the barrel out. I'll try and post some pics later.

Offline Deano400

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2023, 09:23:57 PM »
Ash, if you look at your last pic, the NOS one, you can see the end gate. If you had a key and turn the barrel, that is the brass 'clip' that you push across. Without a key you need to lift that from the inside to release the barrel, Once lifted the barrel can be pushed out,

I couldn't really take good pics as I needed three hands, so if you imagine the two pics combined, metal strip lifting the gate and at the same time pushing out the barrel.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Offline Deano400

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2023, 09:25:56 PM »
PS. the lock does have the cover with the small spring.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2023, 10:35:09 PM »
Cheers Deano ... I think I know what you mean now .. just needs to get a suitable pick to remove the clip.

By the way Ted ... every 400F I have ever owned (4) and seen had the spring loaded flap.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2023, 10:37:25 PM by AshimotoK0 »

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2023, 11:28:35 PM »
Cheers Deano ... I think I know what you mean now .. just needs to get a suitable pick to remove the clip.

By the way Ted ... every 400F I have ever owned (4) and seen had the spring loaded flap.

So presumably mine has broken off at some time - it's not obvious that it's missing.

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2023, 02:00:32 AM »
If it was missing Ted the lock would come out everytime you used the key.

Buggered if I can make out what you're pushing there John. Is it clearer when the barrel is removed? if so maybe a before and after pic would explain it better.
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2023, 07:41:56 AM »

Buggered if I can make out what you're pushing there John. Is it clearer when the barrel is removed? if so maybe a before and after pic would explain it better.

I am assuming its this little plate (circled in green) Ken (on my NOS one)

Offline Deano400

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2023, 10:50:44 AM »
Hi Ash / Ken. Yes Ash, that’s the end gate. You’re right Ken, not a very good explanation. Bit short of time yesterday so rushed, have more time this morning so I’ve done as Ken suggested.

In this pic you can see the lock gates plus the end gate that holds the barrel in place.

With the key in you can see the lock gates retracted but the end gate doesn’t move.

The shape of the end of the key means the end gate stays in place. You need something more square ended to operate the end gate.

Once the end gate is retracted you can push the barrel out.

Hope this makes sense.

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2023, 12:42:29 PM »

I can now see on the lock body of my 400 a recessed lug with a hole in it.
Lock stays in place when key is used - a clip iirc at the other end.

Was the original cover plastic or metal preumably not sold as a separate part?

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2023, 12:52:23 PM »
TBH I thought that part was one of the lock plates that move when the keys inserted.

Never knew that one, can't remember actually trying to dismantle a seat lock till earlier this year and luckily mine was the circlip type.

Plastic as I recall Ted and no, not available as a separate part.

Looking at the pic John, it looks as though that end plate locks the barrel in place at the bottom, lift the plate and you lift it away from the recess presumably at the bottom and the lock now pulls/slides out. Clever.

Whilst we are on the subject of seat locks I noticed something on mine when I refitted it. The key doesn't move the slide bar completely clear of the latch pin hole, as a result the bar wouldn't release the latch pin to allow the seat to lift up. To me the key wasn't moving it far enough to the left but the internal design of the slide bar doesn't allow it to slide to the left any further. Without the bar in place the key turned much further, with it it wouldn't. Took a bit of modifying for it to release the latch pin.
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Offline Deano400

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2023, 02:57:08 PM »

Looking at the pic John, it looks as though that end plate locks the barrel in place at the bottom, lift the plate and you lift it away from the recess presumably at the bottom and the lock now pulls/slides out. Clever.

Yes, that's right Ken. Normally sat at 6 o'clock. When you use the key to unlock, it moves to 3 o'clock and you can push it in as in my first pic Reply #4.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal