SOHC.co.uk Forums > Other Bikes

Didn't need a new project...but I got one!

<< < (3/3)

Orcade-Ian:
Hi,
Looks like another Trumpet will live to fight another day!  Excellent progress so far - ideal Winter project, it says in most adverts.  I got the job of doing the engine/box and wheels on a 'Twenty One' but the others involved have yet to complete their bits.  As it says in my web article this bike was new in 1959 in Westray - one of our outer North Isles.

http://www.stallard-engineering.co.uk/stories/other/Triumph%2021.htm

Ian

SumpMagnet:
Nice! I have a slight 'problem' to resolve before I can really crack on with the engine. Namely the distributor mounting hole. The thing was mothballed after it developed a nasty habit of the distributor popping out while running. This apparantly isn't good. The mounting retainer was as tight as it could be ( overtighten, and you ruin the thing... ) and that's the only thing that holds it in.
Diagnosis...an ovalled out hole in the crankcases. Allows the thing to wabble about until it loosens the locking plate and out it pops.

Need to find somewhere to get that seen to. Dad gave me a spare set of cases, but the worn set are the originals, and I would like to preserve that. The spare set also had been blasted at some point....and ALL the cracks, crevices, exposed bolt holes and so on were full of blast medium. Took me days to flush it all out. It needs new rings, as compression is a little low ( well..7:1 as standard isn;t exactly high to start with!) and there is no bore wear to speak of. Even if there is, it's on +20 barrels, so I can do that if needed. He'd also clearly been planning a 500 conversion... in the spares pile I found a 500 head, and some barrels that were still on standard bore, but in need of a rebore.

Probably not going to go that route, but they are there.

Already bought some odds and ends from Monty, needed pushrod oil seals...and he stocks the right ones for an early model. Found lots of ropey suppliers who don't specify model year.

But overall, I am enjoying playing with it.

Just a shame they hadn;t discovered metric fasteners. Or in fact ANY form of standard for threads that they would stick to for the whole bike!

Bryanj:
It does have standard threads, Whitworth, BSF and BSC

andy120t:
I have a 1960 350 with 500 barrels and a distributor - they didn't use the distributor for more than a couple of years.

There are options to replace/ delete the distributor and put electronic ignition on the crank. (Although I can't currently spot any instructions for that,). Might allow you to find another way to seal an out of shape distributor hole without finding cases.

https://triumph-tiger-90.com/upgrades/

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version