Author Topic: fitting of the petrol tap  (Read 5406 times)

Offline marineboy

• View Profile
fitting of the petrol tap
« on: August 06, 2010, 06:26:50 PM »
Hi everybody,

After going onto reserve the other day whilst out on my 400/4 it wasnt long before I was sitting at the side of the road awaiting the arrival of the RAC, the problem you see was fuel starvation...... Once the kind RAC man put in enough fresh petrol for me to return to the normal "on" posistion I was merrily on my way home.
Removing the petrol tap from the tank all became clear, the petrol strainer had broke off in the tank allowing all the crud to block the hole in the petrol tap when reserve was needed.....
A quick look on Dave Silver website and a brand new genuine part winged its way to me....
Easy I thought, five minutes down the line and I will be back on the road.. or so I thought.

Right, this is where you come in...... The replacement strainer wasnt a tight fit, in fact it was quite loose to be honest, the rubber washer that sits inside the big nut seemed oversize to me and didnt sit comfortably anywhere? anyway I fitted the strainer into the tap & tiny flimsy washer at the bottom with the 2 holes in it(it can only sit in one way as there is a cut out for it to sit in, I then put the big nut over the top and finally eased the washer into place inside the nut as per Haynes manual,this did seem to steady the strainer in its place somewhat, when I put it al back together it didnt leak anywhere and all seemed well again..... The bike ran fine for a road test of about 5 mile

My question is this. It just doesnt seem like a Mr honda fit to me, yes it all works fine but why wasnt the strainer
a tighter fit & also why is the sealing washer so big???? lastly, have I assembled it right or not??? It seems like I have as it all works ok
Regards

Marineboy

Offline THUNDERDOWNUNDER

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
Re: fitting of the petrol tap
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2023, 05:38:14 PM »
Just reading your post on fuel filter repayment and was wondering if you have The dimensions of the big rubber sealing washer as the one I have is crushed to death and I need anew one .

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2023, 06:57:22 PM »
I fitted the DS kit 16952-341-671 the strainer was a good fit on the pipe - I used an original washer on the turn mechanism as I did not want to fit two thinner ones that were supplied. IIRC there are two thread sizes on the tank  unions - I returned a tap purchased on e-bay as it was the wrong size - possibly early 400 type  or US version?
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2023, 08:08:05 PM »
That's what I was going to suggest, different size spigot on the tank, have you checked for instance that the F1 and F2 may have different tanks fitted petrol tap wise?
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2023, 11:03:33 AM »
The original post was 13 years ago. Maybe stuff has changed since then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal