SOHC.co.uk Forums > Anorak's Corner

Gatepost (Gateros ) Plating kits

(1/6) > >>

DomP:
 I'm thinking of getting a Gateros zinc plating kit but I'm cautious of going overboard and buying the full kit, is the basic 5ltr kit with out the power supply going to get me reliable results n smaller items like engine bolts and carb brackets?

AshimotoK0:
I have only every bought the chemicals and zinc electrodes, never the full kits. Had great results and experiences with them for many years. Tried pre-mixed zinc stuff from 'YouPlate' and it was sh*te finish. More like cad. plating finish than BZP. Gateros stuff is very good though and customer support is A1. Worth getting a digital multi-meter with 10A DC range on it, if you don't have one already for measure the plating current. I always work on 0.1A (100 milliamps) per square inch of the surface area. Make sure you don't get the polarity wrong, as if you do and try plating for a period of time, you get iron deposited into the electrolyte solution. Zinc electrode is positive, work is negative.

DomP:
Thanks Ash, I think I will order a 5ltr kit to get me started and go from there.

DomP:
Just seen my autocorrect title on this thread😄

Bryanj:
Wonerful ting treknology

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version