SOHC.co.uk Forums > Project Board

Project CB350F

<< < (14/16) > >>

Laverda Dave:

--- Quote from: Bryanj on April 09, 2024, 09:39:00 PM ---Standard stainless not a good idea in high stress positions

--- End quote ---

Good point Bryan. I'll get some Honda items from HGB. I'll frame the two stainless ones considering they were so expensive.

magpie114:
The rear mudguard, grab rail and some fittings have gone to Ashford Chroming who have quoted an 8 week turnaround which isn't too bad. Can't make my mind up whether to have the front mudguard replated as well or get an aftermarket replacement as it’s probably going to be more cost effective. However I’m not convinced that the aftermarket items will be to the same standard as a replated original mudguard.

My rear wheel arrived on Friday from Full Circle Wheel Building and I’ve put a K82 on, just waiting for the sprocket and brake plates which are at the powder coaters.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

I’ve turned my attention to the electrics and I’ve started “Ashes fix” on the coils which are in good condition although the HT leads were in a terrible state. As mentioned in the procedure the outer insulation of each HT lead was hard and two of the inner conductors had broken. The coils cleaned up well and the leads were exposed in no time at all using a rasp. Now I know that the coils are good I’ll go ahead and order some epoxy from RS.

Johnny4428:
Worthwhile job on the coils! Having done three sets of coils now I had a couple of leads that just fell out of the ends of the moulding. Interesting how the lower coil in your pic the ht lead snakes in a s formation, must have been the end of a roll before moulding applied during moulding process?

magpie114:
I think you’re right. It’s not obvious in the photo but the lead was in a very shallow spiral path.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

magpie114:
A few updates. I’ve soldered new HT leads in the coils and completed encapsulation with the recommended RS epoxy. Just need to cosmetically finish them off with some Milliput. I was concerned about too much heat input when soldering and used fine nosed pliers as a heat sink. The epoxy took a couple of days to harden fully, not helped by relatively low overnight temperatures in the garage. Final electrical tests confirmed the coils have survived my efforts.

The powder coated brake and sprocket plates have arrived back but I’m still waiting for a rear sprocket which should finally arrive later today. The stock size seems to be in short supply with plenty advertised on eBay but which become out of stock when you order. My first order did not appear and I had to cancel and get a refund. The next supplier claimed 10 available but subsequently had “a stock Issue” now promised today.

My gauges arrived back this morning from Peter Horton who has done a fantastic job. I couldn’t resist a quick look on the bike, they really do look brand new.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

I sent them to Peter because I could see traces of oil droplets inside the glasses. Peter found that the grease had solidified and the mileage counter wheels had stuck together which in operation would have stripped the gears or snapped the drive cable.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version