SOHC.co.uk Forums > Project Board

Project CB350F

<< < (15/16) > >>

magpie114:
Just took delivery of my rear sprocket and it isn’t the correct one! I got mixed up in my earlier post, the sprocket that’s arrived today is from Wemoto which I ordered after the eBay episode.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

It’s out of stock at DS and CMS. I tried two suppliers on eBay, one has no stock despite listing the item. The other reported “stock issues” after I asked for a refund and then a day later promised delivery for next week. The item is now apparently on its way.  I feel a saga coming on….

Laverda Dave:

--- Quote from: magpie114 on May 04, 2024, 05:12:51 PM ---Just took delivery of my rear sprocket and it isn’t the correct one! I got mixed up in my earlier post, the sprocket that’s arrived today is from Wemoto which I ordered after the eBay episode.

(Attachment Link)

It’s out of stock at DS and CMS. I tried two suppliers on eBay, one has no stock despite listing the item. The other reported “stock issues” after I asked for a refund and then a day later promised delivery for next week. The item is now apparently on its way.  I feel a saga coming on….

--- End quote ---

I feel your pain, I've been waiting two weeks for spark plugs that were advertised as in-stock but so far nowhere to be seen!
Was the old sprocket worn out? I was lucky with Ratty because although the drive chain was seized solid the rear sprocket was perfect apart from the PO having it chrome plated! I had that removed and it was refinished in BZP and it has come out like new.
I think we are both in the same place with our builds. Every time I think I am on the home straight I go to fit another part and I find something else is missing, currently waiting for the two long hex nut studs that hold the headlamp frame to the top yoke. These are due next week.
This is the story when you buy someone else's idea of what they think a bike should look like including pod filters, black painted engine, chrome sprockets and engine plates, fiamm horns, wide wheel rims, cow horn handlebars etc. The result is all the small but expensive and difficult to get parts would be thrown in the bin years ago! It's all thanks to the great people on this forum that Ratty will live again as a 400/4 and not end it's days unloved in a shed.
As for Peter Horton, the man is an absolute guru and a wizard when it comes to restoring our clocks. I can't believe how he brought my clocks back from the dead and converted the rev counter to a 400/4 item from the 250 item I gave him👍.
Good luck with your continuing restoration, it's obviously going to be a great bike when it's finished and looking forward to seeing the finished result 👍.

magpie114:

--- Quote ---
I feel your pain, I've been waiting two weeks for spark plugs that were advertised as in-stock but so far nowhere to be seen!
Was the old sprocket worn out? I was lucky with Ratty because although the drive chain was seized solid the rear sprocket was perfect apart from the PO having it chrome plated! I had that removed and it was refinished in BZP and it has come out like new.

--- End quote ---

The old sprocket was worn, corroded and was in overall poor condition. I didn't want to use it with a new chain and front sprocket - rightly or (probably) wrongly I slung it. I'll have to wait and see if the other one due next week is ok. And yes the simplest little brackets and fasteners are like hens teeth.

magpie114:
Well it's no surprise that the second sprocket was unsuitable.

The 400 shares the same hub and dampers so I thought the 400 sprocket pegs might be slightly different and offer a solution. Lots on eBay for around £10 a set so at that price I thought I'd give them a try. Unfortunately these are incorrect as well. Although the flange fits in the sprocket recess correctly the pin diameter is 9mm instead of 12mm - the photo shows it much better than my explanation.
I may have to cut the flanges on the original pegs to suit.

Today I've been repairing/replacing wires, removing quick splice connectors and crimping some new connectors to the idiot light assembly and gauge lights. Most of the quick splice connectors are shown in the stripdown photo below.

Fitted new bulbs all round and checked the lighting circuits were ok. No unexpected problems but I can see it will need some care to connect everything neatly in the headlight shell come the time.

The seat is in reasonably good condition but the chrome effect trim was poor. I was surprised to find that it's part of the cover and not removable. So I've carefully rubbed it down, and after masking, sprayed it with aluminium effect enamel. It's come out better than I expected and I'll apply a coat of lacquer next week. 

taysidedragon:
Probably a silly question,  but is the sprocket the same both sides?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version