Author Topic: Project CB350F  (Read 5129 times)

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Project CB350F
« Reply #45 on: December 29, 2023, 05:47:52 PM »
I've said this before, don't leave a key in the seat lock, you walk past, catch the key and it either bends or breaks in the lock OR it digs into your leg and ends up cutting you. Either way it's a bugger.

Been there, done that, hence why I keep saying it, lesson learned.

Coming on though.
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Offline magpie114

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
    • A.M. Photoblog
« Reply #46 on: December 29, 2023, 06:16:41 PM »
Good point. I’d been checking the seat fit and forgot about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Current bikes:
Honda CB350F
Honda VFR400
Suzuki 650

Offline Johnny4428

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 29, 2023, 09:22:50 PM »
Gazebo would be good too Gareth maybe better because you could hang lights from the inner frame.😜
1952 Cymoto on Triumph bicycle.
1961 Matchless G3
1974 Honda CB550K1. Running resto,
1978 Honda CB550K3.
1999 ST1100 Pan European 50th Anniversary.
1975,1980,1984,1986 Honda C90’s
1973 Honda CB750K3

Offline magpie114

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
    • A.M. Photoblog
« Reply #48 on: January 27, 2024, 08:49:01 PM »
I’ve finally been able to paint the cases now the cold spell has gone, the garage daytime temperature had been around 0°C for a quite a few days.

I was going to buy a cheap tent to use as a warm paint enclosure but thought I’d first try building one out of a cardboard flat screen tv box and  part of a large mountain bike box I had.  Once assembled, although a bit Heath Robinson, it warmed up quickly with a fan heater and held the heat very well. So first I ran the garage dehumidifier for a few hours together with a fan heater before warming the enclosure and cases. I gave both cases a mist coat of Simoniz VHT paint followed by 3 coats to give good finish.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

The barrel is currently with Julie and Graham for a rebore and I must get cracking with the head.

Meanwhile I’ve just received my front wheel from Full Circle Wheel Building. Had the hub polished and fitted with stainless steel butted spokes and rim. I’m happy with the service and fast turnaround of 10 days. I’m undecided about tyres but leaning towards a pair of K82s. I’ll be sending the rear hub in a month or so.

Looking ahead I’m undecided about paint. Can’t say I like Candy Bacchus Olive and I much prefer Flake Matador Red and Glory Blue Black Metallic colours. I think Glory Blue Black is the most attractive but I’ll probably keep changing my mind and may even keep the original Bacchus Olive (which I feel I should do). First I need to find a decent R/H headlamp bracket. I’ve been looking out for one for some time but strangely all the right hand ones I’ve seen have been damaged.
Current bikes:
Honda CB350F
Honda VFR400
Suzuki 650

Offline Laverda Dave

• SOHC Jedi
  • Health is wealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 28, 2024, 11:21:20 AM »
Looking very good 👍.
A tip I was given about choosing a colour was lay the colours out and take away those you really didn't like until you are down to just two remaining where you can't decide. You then toss a coin to decide between them. If for example the choice was between red and blue and heads won the green but you wish it had been the blue that won then blue is the right colour. It has to be an instant reaction not a few seconds later otherwise you are back to square one! Best tip I was given and it works........ usually until someone else gives you their opinion ::)
1976 Honda 400/4
1977 Rickman Honda CR750
1999 Honda VFR 800FX
1955 750 Dresda Triton
1978 Moto Morini 350 Sport
1978 Honda CB400/4 'Rat' bike
1982 Laverda 120 Jota

Offline magpie114

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
    • A.M. Photoblog
« Reply #50 on: February 27, 2024, 09:51:26 AM »
Looking very good 👍.
A tip I was given about choosing a colour was lay the colours out and take away those you really didn't like until you are down to just two remaining where you can't decide. You then toss a coin to decide between them. If for example the choice was between red and blue and heads won the green but you wish it had been the blue that won then blue is the right colour. It has to be an instant reaction not a few seconds later otherwise you are back to square one! Best tip I was given and it works........ usually until someone else gives you their opinion ::)

I finally decided to go with Glory Blue Black Metallic or as near a match as possible. I think it was always going to be black!
Dropped the tank, panels and headlight brackets off at Rapier Paintwork in Hull who I've used before and did a great job.
Current bikes:
Honda CB350F
Honda VFR400
Suzuki 650

Offline magpie114

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
    • A.M. Photoblog
« Reply #51 on: February 27, 2024, 07:10:18 PM »
Decided to fit Dunlop K82 tyres for the classic look and hopefully good grip. It's been a very long time since I've fitted a tyre and I've never found it easy. So I was a bit apprehensive about fitting the front tyre. This time I used a tyre lube instead of soap (which I've used in the past) and also a (new to me) "Bead Buddy". The tyre went on surprisingly quickly and easily. Using the Bead Buddy is like having a third hand I only had to use a tyre lever for the last few inches of the tyre.

I've assembled the bottom end largely following NJ's thread. The bike has 11000 miles on the clock which I believe is genuine and only had to replace one shell. The primary chain, damper rubbers and obviously the various seals were also replaced. The horseshoe, which I gather can be a common problem, moves freely with no signs of binding or damage. Clutch plates and springs are well within specification. I intended to fit a new cam chain as a matter of course but unfortunately I had problems with the rivet tool. Instead of leaving it I tried to work around it only to ruin the chain. So I ended up fitting the original chain - it's done 11000 miles and I understand life is 30 to 35 thousand miles so I'm not concerned. The oil pump O rings were replaced with viton ones.

I installed the engine by the frame over engine procedure on my own which was straightforward. The forks and front wheel were temporarily fitted to lift the frame off the floor.

Next job is to fit my rebored barrels and pistons, received today from Julie/Graham.
Current bikes:
Honda CB350F
Honda VFR400
Suzuki 650

Offline taysidedragon

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 27, 2024, 07:43:27 PM »
I know it's too late now but, since you had the engine apart,  you could have fitted a complete cam chain that wouldn't have needed riveting.  You only need to rivet the camchain if you're not splitting the cases. 🤔
Gareth

1977 CB400F
1965 T100SS

Offline magpie114

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
    • A.M. Photoblog
« Reply #53 on: February 27, 2024, 07:50:41 PM »
I was putting a heavy duty chain in which needed cutting, that bit went ok it was the riveting that went badly wrong. I was replacing it as a belt and braces approach so its not a disaster other than the loss of a good chain.
Current bikes:
Honda CB350F
Honda VFR400
Suzuki 650

Offline magpie114

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
    • A.M. Photoblog
« Reply #54 on: February 28, 2024, 04:31:35 PM »
Busy day getting engine ready to fit an endless cam chain which I should have done in the first place after my error. Was initially reluctant to split the cases again but second time around on a clean engine it was quick and easy. Just need to remove the final traces of hondabond from the surfaces tomorrow, had to call it a day as I can almost taste cellulose thinners.

Also replaced the bearings in the rear hub ready to send to Full Circle Wheelbuilding. This time making sure I drilled the retainer staking out a little deeper this time.
Current bikes:
Honda CB350F
Honda VFR400
Suzuki 650

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 28, 2024, 07:39:21 PM »
I had two Groundhog days when assembling my 400 cases - we live & learn.👎👎👍
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline magpie114

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
    • A.M. Photoblog
« Reply #56 on: March 17, 2024, 07:54:13 PM »
The bottom end is back together again and installed in the frame. I've replaced the cam chain, after my blunder, with an endless chain courtesy of Ken. The front engine bolts (M10 x 74) which were missing from the bike are discontinued but got some longer bolts at the Scottish Motorcycle Show yesterday. They will need cutting to length to make sure that they don't hit the oil gallery. Decent show, had a look around the classics displays in the morning but only saw one Honda 4 SOHC, looked quite nice.

I was going to fit the alternator today but had forgotten that the stator wire connectors were burnt. I can't see any visible signs of damage or deterioration on the stator itself and I've checked the resistance and continuity to ground which are ok. I'll solder new connectors and adjacent wiring which is fairly crispy. Seems from posts on here that the stators are generally reliable. Also one of the screws securing the inner field coil has been butchered and will need drilling out - so not quite sure what's been going on there. I've got an Electrex harness to fit later in place of the original which is showing abuse, wear and tear plus a few "modifications".

I'm sending the rear hub to Full Circle Wheel Building this week. I've tried to remove the studs from the sprocket to fit into a new one, but they are stuck fast. Going to try again with some heat. I've screwed nuts on the ends to protect the threads but I'm concerned about damaging them as it seems they aren't available.
Current bikes:
Honda CB350F
Honda VFR400
Suzuki 650

Offline Laverda Dave

• SOHC Jedi
  • Health is wealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 18, 2024, 09:01:58 AM »
Making good progress there. The sprocket studs were pretty well stuck in my hub but they did come out in the end with the application of some WD40 and I left it for a week but kept giving it another spray whenever I was in the garage (daily!).
The 400/4 at the show looks great, there's an owner with class, its a yellow one  8)
1976 Honda 400/4
1977 Rickman Honda CR750
1999 Honda VFR 800FX
1955 750 Dresda Triton
1982 Laverda 120 Jota

Offline magpie114

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
    • A.M. Photoblog
« Reply #58 on: March 27, 2024, 09:28:01 PM »
Due to various commitments, progress has been sporadic to say the least but now I’ve got a clear spell and hopefully I can get upto speed.
Today I fitted the pistons and barrels which have been rebored +0.5. The pistons have been individually identified to each cylinder by Trigger. Although I was a little apprehensive about doing it on my own, it was surprisingly easy and straight forward. The bores had been coated in Graphogen and starting with the two central pistons I just took my time to squeeze each ring in turn with my fingers allowing the barrels to slide down. Then I turned the engine to raise the outer pistons a little before repeating the process. Tomorrow I’ll fit the head and camshaft

I also fitted the powder coated air cleaner/battery box and associated electrics which have cleaned up well. The regulator point gap was 0.3mm as specified. Forward and reverse continuity tests on the rectifier checked out ok.

The HT leads are in poor condition and one of them can be rotated in the coil so I’m going to see if they are repairable following Ashimoto’s fix.

The sprocket studs were pretty well stuck in my hub but they did come out in the end with the application of some WD40 and I left it for a week but kept giving it another spray whenever I was in the garage (daily!).

The sprocket studs finally did come out after applying more WD40 and some heavy blows with a lump hammer.

I’ve started polishing the clutch cover using a Dremel with the plastic bristles recommended by Ken. The cover was heavily pitted and has started to come up well but needs a little more work. Its strangely boring but addictive at the same time!

Current bikes:
Honda CB350F
Honda VFR400
Suzuki 650

Offline Laverda Dave

• SOHC Jedi
  • Health is wealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 28, 2024, 09:07:04 AM »
Excellent progress there. The polishing mops are a brilliant piece of kit.
Trigger probably bored your barrel and mine at the same time!
1976 Honda 400/4
1977 Rickman Honda CR750
1999 Honda VFR 800FX
1955 750 Dresda Triton
1982 Laverda 120 Jota

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal